engine coolant cooled style engine oil cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine coolant cooled style engine oil cooler

most performance Toyotas use it. I saw one on a Camery today at the junk yard. Pulled it off and tested it on a Z. The Z oil filter fits and I'm sure it will bolt on the Z block too. I didn't have the resources to pull the oil filter stud from the block to make sure though. It has a thermostat too. Picked it up for $5.

Any Pro's or Con's?

Pro: I won't need a seperate cooler in the front of the car. plumbing will be easy to run. Thermostat control for steady temperature. Less engine oil pressure drop due to lack of plumbing.

Con: Can't really think of any . . .

[strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

The b16b that autoworkz put in that mini has one of those.
    imagination is a virtue

Comment

bump . . . added pic.
      Attached Files
      2000 Porsche Boxster
      2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Dude, just go ahead and try it on the 84 since it already has an oil temp gage. Take notes and log the differences.
        I'm sure we all here are interested in seeing what kind of affect it would have.

The only con I can think off is that it wouldn't be as cool as an external cooler. But that maybe a non issue considering you dont want the oil to be too cool.

F' it, go for it. Can't hurt. It maybe useless, it maybe genius. The ball is in your court.
        imagination is a virtue

Comment

Other car manufacterers use the same setup, and I don't see why any of them use it. There is not enough surface area to really make a difference, plus it is being "cooled" by hot coolant. If you are concerned about oil temps, just use an oil cooler. Even a stock oil cooler is much more effictive than one of those.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I just tried to put it on my '86. The diameter of the stud that go into the block is too big by about 2mm, so it won't thread in. Oh, well, I have an external oil cooler lying around as well.
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Too bad it didn't work. I like the idea. Your oil shouldn't be any cooler than your coolant anyway. I agree it wouldn't have a huge effect most of the time due to limited area. Interesting idea.
              My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
              My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
              207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: Too bad it didn't work. I like the idea. Your oil shouldn't be any cooler than your coolant anyway. I agree it wouldn't have a huge effect most of the time due to limited area. Interesting idea.
                the obvious answer to this is to punch a hole in it and let the coolant and oil mix thoroughly.
                Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: the obvious answer to this is to punch a hole in it and let the coolant and oil mix thoroughly.
                  haha. of course! why didn't I think of that... :lol:
                  My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                  My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                  207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Working...
                  X