• Time
  • Show
Clear All

saw this on ebay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...spagenameZWDVW

Comment

iflypropjobs wrote: 1984 tubo, AE 57k original miles
      :x :x :x :x
      that really sucks! I dont know who I feel sorrier for...you or that poor AE
      http://www.vgpowered.com
      Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

that pic is of my cam that snapped although the tension on that belt was in spec to from what i remeber so... it happened on the same side on my motor to

Comment

Steve88t wrote: An extra 5 mins to get the head off and $15 for a gasket?
          Hahaha, good one.
          I wish pullin a bone stock upper, lower intake and an exhaust manifold
          were that easy. Jacken the motor up aint nothing.

I'd do a leak down test first. If that goes well then swap in another cam.
          imagination is a virtue

Comment

[quote]craZed wrote:
            Originally posted by Steve88t
            An extra 5 mins to get the head off and $15 for a gasket?
            Hahaha, good one.
            I wish pullin a bone stock upper, lower intake and an exhaust manifold
            were that easy. Jacken the motor up aint nothing.

I'd do a leak down test first. If that goes well then swap in another cam.
            Maybe you didn't fully understand the entire post. From the point where you can swap a cam (upper intake off, valve covers off, rocker shafts loose) it is 5 minutes to get the head off, slap a new gasket on, and put the head back on. Now I'm sure he is like most of us, pull a head and you're going to check each piston, valve, and combustion chamber. Then stand there and look at it a few minutes more. Then MAYBE start thinking about putting it back on.

I understand that getting the exhuast manifold off can be very time consuming. Especially since every bolt is rusted up. But I pulled a set of heads today where the bolts were all free and it took about 5 mins from the point of discussion.

My point of the post was that it isn't a major undertaking to go that last step further. Especially since you dont know if there has been damage. And those few minutes it takes to verify are well worth spending.
            http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote:
              Maybe you didn't fully understand the entire post. From the point where you can swap a cam (upper intake off, valve covers off, rocker shafts loose) it is 5 minutes to get the head off, slap a new gasket on, and put the head back on. Now I'm sure he is like most of us, pull a head and you're going to check each piston, valve, and combustion chamber. Then stand there and look at it a few minutes more. Then MAYBE start thinking about putting it back on.

I understand that getting the exhaust manifold off can be very time consuming. Especially since every bolt is rusted up. But I pulled a set of heads today where the bolts were all free and it took about 5 mins from the point of discussion.

My point of the post was that it isn't a major undertaking to go that last step further. Especially since you dont know if there has been damage. And those few minutes it takes to verify are well worth spending.
              You needn't have to pull any manifold off to get at the right side camshaft. Tearing down to the short block can be a PITA for a first timer.
              I've heard it is possible to get the left rocker cover off w/out pulling the upper as well, but I have yet to see that.

I may be mistaken, but I thought a leak down test would confirm any valve damage? It makes sense to me that if that test reveals good valve sealing, then it is most likely you wouldn't have to dismantle the longblock.
              Low mile OEM headgasket > $15 new gasket anyday.

Whatever, if it were my motor I would pull the heads for an excuse to port them.
              imagination is a virtue

Comment

Leakdown tester will help diagnose that. If you use a stock vg33 gasket, they are about $15 from nissanparts.cc.
                http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Ok, sorta skimmed through this thread, gathered this...

You broke your cam, now you want to pull a set of heads off of an NA and use ONE of those cams?

A. dont use NA cams on a turbo car if you can help it. Longer exhaust durration with increased exhaust overlap due to a lower lobe sepperation angle.

B. DEFFINATLY DONT USE ONLY 1 NA CAM. This will throw your volumectic efficiency out of balance on each bank.

C. You have people telling you to use a stock VG33 head gasket because it is cheaper. DONT do that. The VG33 has a larger bore so the gasket on each cylinder has a wider diameter wich will end up lowering compression on a stock vg30 block. Not to mention what other problems that are beyond my knowledge of qwenching in the cylinder area. If you were doing it on BOTH sides I still wouldnt do it due to the fact that it being larger would create undesired turbulence while compressing the air fuel mixture.

D. NEVER reuse a headgasket. Unless it was designed to do so like a copper gasket. The nissan gaskets ARE NOT designed for it.

E. Pulling a head of takes WAY longer than 5 minutes, I dont care WHO you are and how your z31 is set up or how rust free the bolts are!

This is just my advice, follow it if you want.
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote:

D. NEVER reuse a headgasket. Unless it was designed to do so like a copper gasket. The nissan gaskets ARE NOT designed for it.
                    Whoa. If that is what it seems that I meant, it isn't. My bad, I guess.
                    I meant that a 57k mile oem headgasket has more life in it than a
                    0 mile felpro or the like. Not worth tearing down and replacing just to have new gaskets.
                    If the head has to come off then replace the gasket with a VR or a nissan gasket, not some cheap replacement.
                    imagination is a virtue

Comment

Easiest way to fix is to replace the cam, and do a compression check. If you bent a valve even a little, it will not hold compression.
                      Chuck Stong
                      300+ Parts and Performance owner
                      http://www.300-plus.com
                      2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                      X