timing belt broke - HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing belt broke - HELP

I just replaced this belt 700 miles ago to the specs outlined in the factory service manual - aaarrrggg! How do you tell if there has been internal damage with out a teardown?

As best as I can tell it let go at about 2800 RPM & I didn't hear any loud noise come from the engine, it just spooled down like I had turned of the key.

I'm a Noobie to Nissan, but an experienced gearhead, any help would be appreciated.

na or turbo?
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Comment

1984 tubo, AE 57k original miles

Comment

there is a fair chance you can find out why it broke, put a new belt on correctly while fixing the reason it broke, and be on your way. i have heard stories of turbo motors having piston to valve destruction, but i have seen a few break and not hit. now every na will bend the crap out of valves.
        Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Comment

I've had a tensioner break loose at idle and there was no damage. Even years later when I pulled the heads off there were no scars on either valve or piston.

Pull the plugs, ease the gears back to tdc and put a new belt on. With the plugs out, you should not have much resistance turning the crank. Make sure when you turn the cams not to force it in case a piston is in the way.

Once you have a belt on, rotate the engine a few times and feel for obstruction. If nothing, crank the starter a few seconds (pull the fuel pump fuse first). If all goes well, put it back together and start it up.
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

HOLY CRAP - I just got the TB cover off & the belt didn't break, the front of the right side camshaft broke off!!! Anybody ever see this happen - I have never heard of a camshaft breaking like that??!!

It doesn't appear too have damaged the seal area, but obviously the head or heads are going to have to come off to fix this mess. Just exactly what I wanted to do.......

More advice please

Thanks

Comment

So your saying the whole right cam gear came off taking a piece of the cam with it, how the hell did that happen and on a 57k motor, somethin definitely was wrong with the tb installation 700 miles ago because ive never heard of a vg cam doin that, idk what to tell you bro but good luck
              87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

You tightened the belt too much. Not uncommon. The proper tension is actually a lot looser than most people would think. They try to tension it like an alternator belt.

You can swap the cams in without pulling the head, but whats the point? An extra 5 mins to get the head off and $15 for a gasket? Check the cam journals for scarring.

Since you are that far it's probably wise to pull both heads, check the valvetrain and put two new head gaskets on. No biggie really.
                http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Yes, the whole right side cam gear came off, the camshaft split off about 1/3rd of the head where the gear screws on. I installed it exactly per specs of the factory service manual - but obviously tensioned it too much or something.

Sometimes these little life lessons suck really bad......

How big of a deal is it to get the heads off & where is the best place to get replacement camshafts (if I do one, might as well do the other at the same time.)

Thanks for the info.

Comment

87-85turbo wrote: So your saying the whole right cam gear came off taking a piece of the cam with it, how the hell did that happen and on a 57k motor, somethin definitely was wrong with the tb installation 700 miles ago because ive never heard of a vg cam doin that, idk what to tell you bro but good luck
                    never heard of it? havent been around much i guess

Comment

look at the bright side...you acutally have a reason to upgrade your cams, headgaskets, valvetrain, heads, camgears and potentially more with the motor half apart.
                      2008 BMW E92 335i 6MT

Comment

Has happened before

Like everyone said. Good time to do some head work. Even tho with 57K miles, it sure shouldn't need it.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Comment

Would it be worth my while to find some n/a heads & use those? Higher compression, etc - with doing a lot of other mods to compensate.

Thanks for all the info so far.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X