Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Pathfinder Manifold Question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Pathfinder Manifold Question....

I was planning on doing the pathfinder intake manifold swap again on my latest Z, but wanted to avoid jacking up the rear of the hood with washers if at all possible. I thought I read somewhere that someone cut/grinded part of the intake in some fashion to make it clear the hood. I know that the motor and crossmember can be lowered to avoid issues with clearance, but my HX35 install is going to require me to run a 3" pipe as a motor mount on the driver's side and not allow this lowering to be accomplished. If anyone else has or is using a pathfinder manifold and knows a way another way around jacking the hood up with washers, I would appreciate the info....

440whp on pump fuel and the STOCK MAF

I believe that Dan @ TSS modified a pathy intake to fit with the hood closed... Sadly he's no longer around to share that information, but I would assume that once it's all installed you could work out what needs to be grinded down by seeing exactly where it hits and remove material where necessary.
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

If I had to guess, he probably had a shop mill the mating surface at a bit of an angle to accomodate the hood clearance. That what I would try to do if I did that manifold. Only bummer is then you need the bolt holes squared to the flange.

Comment

You could probably do it with some skillful dremel tool work or a die grinder... I'd personaly just lower the engine mounts but that's just me.

Comment

You have to grind down the TB area of the manifold, thats the area that it will rub.

Comment

So you have to grind your tb too :?

Comment

milo wrote: You have to grind down the TB area of the manifold, thats the area that it will rub.
              Did you ever get yours to fit without the scoop? On my 86, I had the hood jacked WAY up to make it fit, but I think the 87+ hood style should help....

Comment

Well with Jasons poly mounts and the framing stuff cut out from the hood my pathy fits, barely. I did the playdough check on it and I had maybe a cm or 2 of clearance. I didnt think Jasons polys were any different hieghtwise than stock? But it worked for me.

Comment

vg30.com does it for Datsun 510's so maybe they'd do one for a z31.

Comment

OrionMCP wrote: Well with Jasons poly mounts and the framing stuff cut out from the hood my pathy fits, barely. I did the playdough check on it and I had maybe a cm or 2 of clearance. I didnt think Jasons polys were any different hieghtwise than stock? But it worked for me.
                    i might use one on the passenger's side, but the driver's side is going to be a 3" pipe, and I dont think that is going to lower the engine at all....

Comment

Using only one poly mount? Did I read that correctly? If so I would imagine that it wouldn't be such a good idea to do that.

Comment

300zxt wrote: Using only one poly mount? Did I read that correctly? If so I would imagine that it wouldn't be such a good idea to do that.
                        I think he means by how he's going to do one of those custom mount setups to allow the intake to pass straight thru it
                        Attached Files

Comment

Contact Dan

TSS might be closed, but Dan isn't dead. Send him an email and he will get back to you with his advice, mailto:thespeciltyshop@adelphia.net Might take a few days but Dan is still part of the Z community eventhough he is not a vender.
                          What, me worry? It just takes a little time, patience and thought!

Comment

When I ran a Pathy Manifold this is what I did. Keep in Mind this is for an 87 so this might not work with 84-86 Hoods

-I ground a little bit off the top of the throttle body (its hard to describe where exactly but you will see once its on, its the part that will hit the edge of the cowl on the Hood)
                            -Removed any of the Hoods Skeleton that was in the way of the Manifold & Throttle Body
                            -Now I cut a very small hole in the hood for part of the manifold & Throttle Body to stick through (probably 5"x5") and I put one of 1ArtworkZ's 200ZR Hood Scoops over it.

After it was all said and done if I would have ground a little more off the top of the Manifold and TB I could have probably fit everything under the hood without cutting a hole in it.
                            2005 whore magnet

Comment

Re: Contact Dan

johnblye wrote: TSS might be closed, but Dan isn't dead. Send him an email and he will get back to you with his advice, mailto:thespeciltyshop@adelphia.net Might take a few days but Dan is still part of the Z community eventhough he is not a vender.
                              Don't count on it. I've emailed him several times about not receiving the parts I ordered right before he closed. I did get one reply saying he would look into it but that was over a month ago and he hasn't replied to any emails since.

Comment

Working...
                              X