Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken camshaft - Need advice

Hello again

I thought I had a broken timing belt (previous post) but now know that it is a broken camshaft head. Where is a good place to get replacement camshafts - I'm not at a place (financially) that I want to do a bunch of performance upgrades yet. I just want to fix it right now.

Thanks for the help - you guys have been a great source of info.

When I figure out where to place them, I'll post pics of the carnage.

iflypropjobs wrote: Hello again

I thought I had a broken timing belt (previous post) but now know that it is a broken camshaft head. Where is a good place to get replacement camshafts - I'm not at a place (financially) that I want to do a bunch of performance upgrades yet. I just want to fix it right now.

Thanks for the help - you guys have been a great source of info.

When I figure out where to place them, I'll post pics of the carnage.
    the best thing you can do is post a wanted add here and at z31.com... also check local junkyards. autozone actually has them, 144 bucks each.. they are special order.. years ago i sold someone a set of stock cams for like 40 bucks..

Comment

I might be able to pull the set I have in my engine soon, they have like 90,000 miles on them...but it'll be a week at least.
      It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

I've got a set of cams out of a VG33E.......70/K miles...they look great..normal wear for the mileage.

If your gonna go to the trouble, replace the cams with a performance grind of have some re-ground. The stock grinds are pathetic whether for Turbo and especially an N/A engine.
        Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

VG36ET wrote: I've got a set of cams out of a VG33E.......70/K miles...they look great..normal wear for the mileage.

If your gonna go to the trouble, replace the cams with a performance grind of have some re-ground. The stock grinds are pathetic whether for Turbo and especially an N/A engine.
          I am fairly sure the vg33 cams are dfferent.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
            Originally posted by VG36ET
            I've got a set of cams out of a VG33E.......70/K miles...they look great..normal wear for the mileage.

I am fairly sure the vg33 cams are dfferent.
            Hey Firehawk - Whaddaya mean bro?? All SOHC VG cams are intechangeable. The 33E has a different grind(smaller) but they will work with a 30E and can be reground of course.
            Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

My vg33 cams had less lift. So, if one were to regrind them then the base circle would be that much smaller compared to the same regrind done to
              some z31 vg30 cams.

It is my understanding that z31 na and turbo have the same grind stock.
              The difference is split between the years. the earlier Z31s had a little more duration than the later ones.
              imagination is a virtue

Comment

Here you go http://www.redz31.com/pages/caminfo.html

Once you know what to look for, you can go to a salvage yard and pull one for cheap.
                Attached Files
                imagination is a virtue

Comment

Working...
                X