Electric Fans, How much CFM ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Fans, How much CFM ?

I just installed a intercooler, Had to remove the engine fan. I found 2 new 12 electric fans SPALS. I belive they are about 950 CFM each. Its in the 40's - 50's deg mark. the fans turn on but do not want to turn back off untill I get up to 30-40 mph +. Maby I shound have installed a single 16" fan, around 3000 cfm +. ??????

http://www.cardomain.com/id/edsz31

I've got the 3000 CFM 16" fan from perma-cool, and I really like it.... have you tried adjusting your thermostat for the fans???
    89' 300zx turbo AKA Smokin' Woody:

MGP Plenum, E-Fan, EBC (9.5 PSI), CM Downpipe, MSA turbo back exhaust, Poly Bushing Kit, TSS springs, Illuminas all around, 9" K&N Filter, Mustang Cobra rims with Falken 615's, Devil's Own Water/Methanol Injection kit, TurboXS-H BOV, Hurst Pistol Grip shifter.

Awaiting install; A/F ratio gauge, Lo-Tek 3 gauge Pod, Walbro 255lph, T3

Comment

cooling fans

I havs a 180 deg thermostat, I use the stock thermo sensor in the radiator.

Comment

Why bother with a thermostat controlled e-fan. Just let it run when the engine is ON. No frills and you will never have to worry about when it comes ON and OFF.
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
        2000 Porsche Boxster
        2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

^^^Because it will burn up the alternator quicker. Fans require a lot of amps.

I would say you would only need about 1400cfm total when all the accesories are on. If you wanted, you could make one a primary, then hook the other to the A/C switch.

I ordered the FAL 210. I believe it's 2400cfm total. Comes in a nice clean package. Not to mention it's only like 1.5" thick.
          1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
          2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

bemis wrote: Why bother with a thermostat controlled e-fan. Just let it run when the engine is ON. No frills and you will never have to worry about when it comes ON and OFF.
            Seattle: the engine needs to warm up in cold temps and having the fans turn with the ignition counters this. Also its nice to be able to have your other electrical systems on without the fans running when you really don't need them.

edsz31- I'm not quite sure what exactly your problem is. More info about exactly how they are acting may be good.

I would recommend using an adjustable temp controller and a relay for your fans. I have had good luck with the units I got from NAPA. (pics on the WWW below) My guess is that "stock thermo sensor in the radiator" could be much of your issue.
            Just stand back and throw money.
            Performance costs money.
            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

cooling fan cycle

my problem is my fans do not cycle correctly.
              The fans (2-spals) apx 950 cpm's will turn on at about 190 deg.
              the fans will run for like 20 minates plus. the temp guage stays in the same place.

I guess I need larger draw fans to lower the coolent temp, below the thermo switch temp so the fans will cycle on and off,

just hard to belive 2-12" spals fans wont do the trick.

Comment

Just use a thermo switch to turn on at a set temp. Don't worry about the rpm or speed. If you are above a certain rpm or speed and you are still above the turn on temp, they need to be on.

CFM is a stupid argument here. Everyone puts a fan on there and worries about the cfm. But no one worries about using a fan or shroud that covers the entire radiator like the stock fan does. Modify the stock shroud or build your own to accept a small single fan and I bet you money it does the job better than a big ass honking 33498752395723405cfm fan will covering
                http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

How old is your radiator? Might be the old clogged radiator causing problems
                  Shiro #443

Comment

Re: cooling fan cycle

edsz31 wrote: my problem is my fans do not cycle correctly.
                    The fans (2-spals) apx 950 cpm's will turn on at about 190 deg.
                    the fans will run for like 20 minates plus. the temp guage stays in the same place.

I guess I need larger draw fans to lower the coolent temp, below the thermo switch temp so the fans will cycle on and off,

just hard to belive 2-12" spals fans wont do the trick.
                    Are they running after you shut the car off? If not then they sound to me that they are doing exactly what they should. Hold engine temp at 180-190 under various driving conditions. Unless you are getting above 190 and the fans are shutting off when you turn the key off then I am missing what the issue here is.
                    Just stand back and throw money.
                    Performance costs money.
                    Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

fans

My car cooled great before I removed the stock engine fan.

so I think steve is correct. Im going to remove the twin 12's and Install a 16" center fan with a nice shroud.

My only problem now is at Idle My fans turn on, but the fans will not turn off again when the engine at idle, like the fans cant cool enough. the temp guage stays around 195.

I would like to see the coolant drop to apx 180 fans turn back off, up to 195 on. (fan cycle)

Comment

You don't need your fans to turn on very often.

I just installed a "cut-off" switch so i can turn mine off. (adjustable thermo controlled)

I have yet to see the temps move unless i sit there and idle for 5-6 minutes. Now i just flip the switch and its on

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Steve88t wrote:
                          CFM is a stupid argument here. Everyone puts a fan on there and worries about the cfm. But no one worries about using a fan or shroud that covers the entire radiator like the stock fan does. Modify the stock shroud or build your own to accept a small single fan and I bet you money it does the job better than a big ass honking 33498752395723405cfm fan will covering
                          1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
                          2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

Steve88t wrote: Just use a thermo switch to turn on at a set temp. Don't worry about the rpm or speed. If you are above a certain rpm or speed and you are still above the turn on temp, they need to be on.

Chuck Stong
                            300+ Parts and Performance owner
                            http://www.300-plus.com
                            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

2 950CFM fans are probably not moving enough air. Get a fan setup that pulls around 2500CFM through a shroud that covers most of the radiator, and use a thermostatic controller to turn the fan on and off.

Check out this taurus fan install about halfway down the page. http://www.redz31.com/forum/viewtopi...=2631&start=18

It was cheap, and it fits the stock radiator really well.
                              "produce first.talk second."

Comment

Working...
                              X