turbo upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo upgrade

I have done some searching, but I just want to make sure. I am going to buy some other things before I get a turbo upgrade (exhaust, intake, IC, fuel pump, injectors, etc).. i just wanted to make sure I am correct when I buy it.

Turbo:
    http://www.blaastperformance.com/index.php?p=t3t04e-60

This is direct bolt on, correct? Has the 4 bolt inlet with the 7 bolt outlet (thats what they mean with t3/t04e?)...

And I would need an external wastegate.. which i'll research asap... i just want to make sure i'm getting all this - I want to know i do things right. I read the howstuffworks.com section on turbochargers to get a better grasp on everything.. it helped, but some stuff I was left in the dark

anyways, any help is appreciated

That would NOT be a direct bolt on for your car. Where the exhaust comes out of the turbo has a different bolt pattern than the nissan pattern. If you were to run that turbine housing you would have to make some form of internal waste gate to work with that housing. I personally think it is easier just to run an external after doing a turbo swap. Screw all the super custom down pipe crap to make it work with an internal gate.

The inlet of the cold air is slightly different and the outlet of charged air is slightly different too. can it work? yes but you would need to do a little work as with most ANY aftermarket turbo you buy out there. You also need to take into consideration if your turbo has water lines or not. The one you posted doesnt appear to have them.

BTW this should be in newbie section. :wink:
    Attached Files
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Also, T3 in "t3/t04E" refers to the exhaust inlet bolt pattern. Yes the z31 is a T3. TO4E roughly refers to the size of the compressor housing and the inlet on the compressor housing. Turbine stage is the size of the exhaust wheel Stage 1 is itty bitty. Turbine A/R is the size of the exhaust housing roughly .63 is itty bitty too. Compressor trim is roughly the size of the compressor wheel. Over all, the whole thing is prolly a little small for a z31.

Comment

I bought my turbo from there. Just ask for the 7 bolt nissan style exhaust housing.
        Fairlady Z 1990 2+2 Twinturbo

Comment

SATAN wrote: Also, T3 in "t3/t04E" refers to the exhaust inlet bolt pattern. Yes the z31 is a T3. TO4E roughly refers to the size of the compressor housing and the inlet on the compressor housing. Turbine stage is the size of the exhaust wheel Stage 1 is itty bitty. Turbine A/R is the size of the exhaust housing roughly .63 is itty bitty too. Compressor trim is roughly the size of the compressor wheel. Over all, the whole thing is prolly a little small for a z31.
          Wow you think that turbo is small for the z31? Back to the drawing board for a turbo. I was looking at hx35's, have a little modification to get them in, but I have the resources at hand to do any type of fabrication I want. I am wanting to get a new turbo, as I won't have to worry about anything wrong with it - and if I got a used hx35 I would. Any turbo you personally would suggest? Aiming for 300-350whp.

Comment

F3600 wrote: I bought my turbo from there. Just ask for the 7 bolt nissan style exhaust housing.
            wait let me get this straight... you ordered a turbo from that web site and asked for a 7 bolt nissan stly exhaust housing and they gave you a turbo that bolted directly on to the stock o2 elbow? no i was almost possitive that nob ody had the 7 bolt nissan style....

Comment

[quote]alexz31t wrote:
              Originally posted by SATAN
              Also, T3 in "t3/t04E" refers to the exhaust inlet bolt pattern. Yes the z31 is a T3. TO4E roughly refers to the size of the compressor housing and the inlet on the compressor housing. Turbine stage is the size of the exhaust wheel Stage 1 is itty bitty. Turbine A/R is the size of the exhaust housing roughly .63 is itty bitty too. Compressor trim is roughly the size of the compressor wheel. Over all, the whole thing is prolly a little small for a z31.
              Wow you think that turbo is small for the z31? Back to the drawing board for a turbo. I was looking at hx35's, have a little modification to get them in, but I have the resources at hand to do any type of fabrication I want. I am wanting to get a new turbo, as I won't have to worry about anything wrong with it - and if I got a used hx35 I would. Any turbo you personally would suggest? Aiming for 300-350whp.
              they sell new hx35's on ebay all the time for around 400-600 bucks , if you only want 300-350whp an hy35 will do the job just fine.

Comment

I guess it would be alright if I got the HY35, I could still upgrade later on if I want more power. Either or, I wouldn't mind.

Comment

wait let me get this straight... you ordered a turbo from that web site and asked for a 7 bolt nissan stly exhaust housing and they gave you a turbo that bolted directly on to the stock o2 elbow? no i was almost possitive that nobody had the 7 bolt nissan style....
                  Well its a hybrid one, they just used a nissan T3 hotside. Just asked them something bolt-on for my application.

Comment

F3600 wrote:
                    wait let me get this straight... you ordered a turbo from that web site and asked for a 7 bolt nissan stly exhaust housing and they gave you a turbo that bolted directly on to the stock o2 elbow? no i was almost possitive that nobody had the 7 bolt nissan style....
                    Well its a hybrid one, they just used a nissan T3 hotside. Just asked them something bolt-on for my application.
                    im sorry if i sound like an idiot but you ordered it with a t3 7 bolt nissan hotside and you bolted the turbo in? no mods needed?

Comment

It has a T3 flange so it bolt up to the manifold. The Hotside is 7 bolt and fit the Stock Elbow (where the 02 sensor is). Its a T3 turbine wheel, T3 shaft and a T4 compressor wheel & housing. I think..

I need to fabricate a custom inlet pipe because the inlet of the compressor is 3 inch and the stock S pipe is 2 inch. That's the only modification needed to make it fit my engine.

Its better than stock but its not a monster. I just wanted a rebuilt turbo with some room for improvement.

If you want some pic i can try to get some.

Comment

IF you are only aiming at 300-350 whp then I think that is a good compressor. Although I think they just threw up a little compressor map suited to make the customer feel like they are looking at somthing special, and somthing that makes them feel like they know what they are really looking at. Plus it will give you a little room to grow too.

This is the real compressor map for that turbo and they just plugged in different numbers.
                        http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/t04e-60.gif

Either way, I sitll think the exhaust side is too small. I would say go with the .63 a/r and the stage III wheel that a lot of guys do. THE ONLY REASON I am suggesting this turbine size and housing size is because of the small target horspower. Normally I say go bigger.

Comment

Thanks for you input. I appreciate it even if im not the original poster.. sorry

Comment

What would your suggestion be SATAN? Stock or custom exhaust

Comment

Working...
                            X