Stock z32 tt pistons.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock z32 tt pistons.....

While trying to look around and find the hp limits of the stock z32tt pistons I gathered that they are not forged and are the weak link in the stock z32tt internals. I have seen quite a few different numbers and it seems that they can't handle much more than stock z31 pistons. I also read that when using z32 pistons in the z31 the compression ratio is taken down a point (8.5:1 goes to 7.5:1). I was looking into getting some z32 rods, and whenever I find them they seem to have the pistons with them, so I figured I should get some info on them. I was just wondering if anyone is using them or if anyone has used them. If so, any info on them would be great. Thanks in advance.

440whp on pump fuel and the STOCK MAF

if you use the rods you need the pistons. i believe the wrist pins are bigger.

Comment

Yes, You might as well get the pistons with them, other wise you will have to machine your pistons to match. You are correct, no they are not forged and dont hold any more power than the z31 pistons.

Lemme ask you this.
      Why do you want to run the TT rods?
      TT rods are stronger but z31 rods are very strong. The z31 rods are stronger that either of those pistons. If you upgrade your rods then you will now have to balance your engine again. They are heavier so you would be increasing rotating mass of your crank assembly with really no benifit of holding more power. Like you said, the weak link is the pistons in both cars, not the rods. I would stick with what you got until you melt one at about 400-450 rwhp, THEN do all of your piston and rod upgrading. But thats just me not wanting to waste money.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Yes, You might as well get the pistons with them, other wise you will have to machine your pistons to match. You are correct, no they are not forged and dont hold any more power than the z31 pistons.

Lemme ask you this.
        Why do you want to run the TT rods?
        TT rods are stronger but z31 rods are very strong. The z31 rods are stronger that either of those pistons. If you upgrade your rods then you will now have to balance your engine again. They are heavier so you would be increasing rotating mass of your crank assembly with really no benifit of holding more power. Like you said, the weak link is the pistons in both cars, not the rods. I would stick with what you got until you melt one at about 400-450 rwhp, THEN do all of your piston and rod upgrading. But thats just me not wanting to waste money.
        That is the plan. Wait til I melt one, then upgrade the bottom end. I just didnt know if the z32tt pistons were worth running. I would just like to start accumulating everything I am going to need in the meantime. Like most z31 owners here, I have many extra blocks just laying around. If I could get one together before my current stock one goes, i would be more inclined to beat the crap out of it :lol:

440whp on pump fuel and the STOCK MAF

Comment

I'm convinced you won't melt one unless there's a problem with the tuning or operating conditions. That is, unless you're making well over 500bhp. My pure speculation is there's no point in "upgrading" to Z32 pistons and rods as a set; the rods are slightly beefier but the pistons are about the same in terms of overall strength. Combine that with the cost of new rings and the hastle of measuring the piston clearance and keeping them in the grading spec (if you care) and it's not worthwhile. Also consider that any engine you build is going to be to much looser tolerances than stock and you will get less longevity. I'm thinking someone could break 500whp with stock Z31 pistons and rods if they really tried.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I'm thinking someone could break 500whp with stock Z31 pistons and rods if they really tried.
            dyno queen heh

Comment

That is my goal right now... 500whp on stock internals.

I have a built bottom end W series block, but I want to see what I can make on a 7.8:1 stock bottom end.

A bad tune will melt pistons at 250whp. It all depends on the tune really.
              86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: That is my goal right now... 500whp on stock internals.

I have a built bottom end W series block, but I want to see what I can make on a 7.8:1 stock bottom end.

Well, get after it man. Let us know what how you do. Also what AFR's you are running at what lbs/min levels. I think the only reason people dont normally go this route is because they usually just want to upgrade to prevent breaking shit. A lot of people DONT want to know what its like to blow an engine, so they build it instead and never find out what could have been done stock. Then again all it takes is that one little mistake at 400+hp on cast pistons and BAM!............ melted

A bad tune will melt pistons at 250whp but a slighltly flawed tune will do it at 450whp.
                85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: That is my goal right now... 500whp on stock internals.

Go for it bro.....the 7:8:1 cr is a freaking dog for a daily driver though.

TT rods are freaking strong(some of the beefiest to ever roll out of a production engine in it's time but our stock forged rods are no weaklings. I don't c the freaking point of TT pistons but many upgrade to the TT rods. Like Satan said though you have to balance your bottom end for the new rods.Just a $60(seen em for 50 and less on feebay) ARp rod bolt upgrade would surely handle some serious street power and no need to rebalance.

I wanna know how much HP our stock rods can handle with the upgrade bolts and then some BRC or other forged pistons. It's easy to c the logic for most people in replacing the rods when you've got the block riped apart though.

Like Jason I think a perfectly tuned stock VG30ET can handle 500whp but I'm not gonna be the one to find out.

Peace
                  Attached Files
                  Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

Since I have a Dec/86 motor, I would have had to special order a set of pistons to match the rods. It costs more, and everyone quoted at least 4 weeks til delivery.
                    But instead, I found a set of Z32 rods for $60 shipped, then ordered the Z32 Wiseco pistons. In the end, I think it cost less. And I also didn't have to worry about pressing the pins.
                    Floating pins > Press fit pins
                    1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
                    2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

Evil Z31 wrote: Since I have a Dec/86 motor, I would have had to special order a set of pistons to match the rods. It costs more, and everyone quoted at least 4 weeks til delivery.
                      But instead, I found a set of Z32 rods for $60 shipped, then ordered the Z32 Wiseco pistons. In the end, I think it cost less. And I also didn't have to worry about pressing the pins.
                      Floating pins > Press fit pins
                      Nice bro...I'd definitely run ARP rod bolts. My father runs Weisco pistons in a VR6....I'm very impressed with their pistons. You have the VG30DETT pistons so you should have a compression ratio around 8.3:1 as those pistons have extra valve cuts for the 4 valve engine. Have it balanced and you'll be able to run plenty of HP.

Peace
                      Ucked Fup!!!

Comment

Yea, I have the ARP rod bolts installed. Also ARP main studs.
                        As a matter of fact, my entire rotating assembly is at the balancing shop right now.
                        1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
                        2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

Working...
                        X