blown headgasket?!?!?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blown headgasket?!?!?!

I BELIEVE I have the obvious answer to this, but of course 25 heads are better then one.

Im outside looking for the weird disappearing power steering fluid and find a new problem.....disappearing coolant....I have always heard a hiss after the car is turned off and suspected I may have a head gasket problem...but TODAY IS WAS MADE CERTAIN....PLEASE TELL ME IM NOT NUTS.

I have an exhaust leak that closes after the car warms up b/c I have a busted stud on the passenger side of the block........Today I noticed Im missing a small amount of coolant...I started the car in the garage and fluid came out till it heated up..........head gasket leak?

also....anyone extracted studs out of the heads yet? difficult....or should I let a machine shop do it?
    Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

if you the heads out , some PB blaster(let it sit for about a couple of days) , and good set of extractors (not shitty one that wil break off in the stud :x ) it will be cake . i did six in less than an hour .

your water leaks sounds weird . do you part your car in a certain spot everyday? do you see any leaks under the car , you know something like running down the engine or something .... DIAGNOSE! :lol:

Comment

is there choclete milk where your oil should be?

if so. time to replace the head gaskets.

as long as you didnt have stainless steel hardware to hold you manifolds on you should be fine. take your time. don't strip out your head.

Comment

sometimes it helps to heat the area around the stud with a torch. make sure you use a center punch so you dont drill into the threads.
        Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
        Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

Unless you have over heated the engine, do not assume the head gasket is blown. Find out where it is leaking. A pressure tester is the best way.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

There is also a tester that checks for combustion byproducts in your coolant, commonly used to diagnose possible HG issues. As firehawk said; there's really no reason to suspect a factory HG on these engines generally, but if it was overheated then perhaps.

Comment

UUUGGGGGHHHHHHHHH...........THE PART I LEFT OUT..............

I did overheat it last week b/c the bypass line blew!!!!

I check the oil last night before I posted this and there wasnt anything......my catch can looks a little funny though.............

nothing leaked on the the motor.......car is in the garage....

I need to pull them anyways to fix the exhaust leak

what a crap weekend it will be......... :shock:

Comment

The studs suck. Like it was said above, hit it with a stiff dose of PB blaster and give it some time. Do NOT use a cheap extractor and break it off. I've done this. Ended up drilling it out. My father was kind enough to drill into a coolant passage so I had a damn fine mess on my hands. It's not always that bad though. Just be very carefull with the extractor. Maybe you're luck and it broke off with a length extending from the head far enough to get a vice-grip on. I had one that way too. Many if not most of my studs broke (or were broken) when i took the manifolds off. The biggest flaw in this engine it seams...
                My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

I think it is time to go all out and pull the motor and trans, fix all the problems and leaks and get it ready for the 5speed. I dont mind pulling the heads, its just the stupid studs. I have really good extracters and an extra set of heads just incase I will practice on those before I do the ones on the motor..........b/c of course they have busted studs too

Comment

Before anyone actually pulls the manifolds off, they should probably plan to order ARP studs to replace them all. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Has anyone actually ordered them? If not, I can look into it while my motor is apart.
                    1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
                    2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

Comment

There are general signs to look for when headgaskets go. Generally the car will puff white smoke out of the exhaust. Of coure the oil and coolant will mix so you could check both the radiator and oil for signs of mixture. If you overboosted your engine and had severe detonation, you will likely blow your headgasket/s. Of course, if you overheated your engine, you can likely blow your headgasket/s. The leak you described sounds like a classic cold coolant leak. When your block is cold and the seals are cold, there can be small pores or even a break in the silicon gasket. Once the engine warms up, the metal expands very slightly so will the gasket and it usually seals. I had this very problem with a waterpump. Usually just reapplying a new gasket will solve the problem. As far as your manifold studs go, just soak them in PB Blaster and TAKE YOUR TIME. If you take your time your chances of breaking them are a lot less. Nonetheless, its likely one or two may break and if you have access to a machine shop locally, I would recommend paying a few dollars to have them extracted. I've had bad luck using extractors myself and I find it a lot less of a heartache to have them remove them.
                        Originally posted by Andrew84zx
                        tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
                        545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Any time I have ever had to pull studs out of the head cause they were broken I didnt pull the head, I used an angle drill and a center punch. after I drilled into the stud a ways it was loose enough to stick the extractor in and just pull it out. really quite loose.

Just remember, you cant ez-out an ez-out. So make sure you have enough of it grabbing the stud!
                          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

[quote]zmech wrote: [quote=zmech]
                              Originally posted by Evil Z31
                              Before anyone actually pulls the manifolds off, they should probably plan to order ARP studs to replace them all. Shouldn't be too expensive.

Has anyone actually ordered them? If not, I can look into it while my motor is apart.
                              I have used them on all my early Z31 heads. Head studs and exhaust studs. Exhaust studs are WAY better than OEM.
                              If anyone else is interested, here is the 8mm exhaust studs that I have been using.
                              You will need three packs as they are 4 per pack.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
                              damm expensive! , about a 100$ but they sure look nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X