Question regarding airflow on 60-1 on otherwise stock motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question regarding airflow on 60-1 on otherwise stock motor

OK, so I have installed a 60-1/stage III and have all the usual supporting mods (3" turbo back, blah blah blah...). This is on a stock ECU, stock fuel non intercooled car. I do have a cartech FMU which I will get around to installing shortly. Anyway, what boost would I run this turbo at to achieve the same CFM flow as my stock T3 at approx 10-11 psi? I am aware that it will not be working as hard as the T3 @ 11 psi so I have decided to push the intercooler install off till later in the year. I recall Dan from TSS installing a simlar sized turbo in that white 88T he restored and set it at like 6 or 7 psi to be on the safe side. BTW I have really no way of monitoring the AFR's, just a crappy narrowband for now. I haef a complete JWT 450 kit slated fopr installation in 2011 (seriously, that's when my Z becomes emissions exempt) so this is just a preliminary turbo install until the rest of the kit gets put on.

So basically looking for T3 10 psi power from this turbo for now, operative word being "safe"

I can't answer your question, but I'd like to ask you one of my own. Is it typical that states don't sniffer-test cars more than 15 years old?
    My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
    My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
    207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

I know that NY & CT is 25 yrs. old + which are emissions exempt. I'm pretty sure most other states are the same but then again some states don't do any emissions testing at all. When I lived in NY I was a certified NYS Emission Tester. It was too easy to beat that machine (even with the camera on!). We had big block Camaros (mid 90's) and some other crazy cars passing with flying colors. With the advent of the camera monitored systems we pretty much set up the shop like a movie set. We had false walls and floors and dummy hoses and all kinds of crazy shit. This was to hide the wrecked 98 Civic we kept as a "donor" car for its clean white panties emissions 8)

Comment

Gregmatic wrote: I know that NY & CT is 25 yrs. old + which are emissions exempt. I'm pretty sure most other states are the same but then again some states don't do any emissions testing at all. When I lived in NY I was a certified NYS Emission Tester. It was too easy to beat that machine (even with the camera on!). We had big block Camaros (mid 90's) and some other crazy cars passing with flying colors. With the advent of the camera monitored systems we pretty much set up the shop like a movie set. We had false walls and floors and dummy hoses and all kinds of crazy shit. This was to hide the wrecked 98 Civic we kept as a "donor" car for its clean white panties emissions 8)
        i was gonna say, i thought you lived in NY... its just too easy to get around it here.. i cant help you with the turbo, but if you have the patience you can figure it out with some math.. both compressor maps are available on several web sites.. have you thought about trying to find a NY address to register the car?

Comment

NY address would be a step back for me, CT car ins. is waaaaay cheaper. Would be nice just so I could sneak by the sniffer. Bah, maybe I can find a guy up here on the wrong side of the law :twisted:

As far as compressor maps go, anybody wanna hooky me up with a linky? Nevermind, I know I can find it within a few minutes of searching...

Comment

linky : http://www.mygen.com/users/dbruce/myz31 ... B-60-1.gif

im pretty sure this is it , BTW i got it off jasons' site .... in case you were wondering about the lines...

Comment

Here, how about this compressor map site. It has MUCHO MAPO'S

http://not2fast.wryday.com/turbo/maps/
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

doesn't sound like you have all the supporting mods

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

It all boils down to the airflow through the engine and how high you are able to rev and still make power (cams, valvetrain, turbine selection). The 60-1 is not by any means a perfect compressor for a 3.0L engine, but it is a very good unit for the price. Pairing with a stage 3 turbine did limit high boost topened power on my car a bit... we'll see exactly how much power delivery and output changes with a stage 5 turbine eventually.

Note those maps with airflow lines drawn on them posted above are for a 2.8L with like 80% VE

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I've got to sit down and do some math but the links for the maps are right on the money, just what I was looking for.

Comment

Working...
                    X