valve cover gasket removal....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• valve cover gasket removal....

what is the proper way to go about doing this? the gasket is no longer soft and pliable, but very hard . I managed to get a grip on a small section and it just crumbled. I think i will try heat, but where i am right now i dont have access to any kind of heat so ill try later.

anybody else done this recently and have any tips they would like to share?

You know those putty knives you can buy for dry walling and shit?

Use one of those steel putty knives and scrap it off. Or use a straight edge razor blade. Just dont carve the valve cover and head to shit. It will come off easily if you do that.

Comment

Man, I had a nightmare with a set of those once. They were bonded to the valve cover... I had to cut them out using a regular screwdriver that I filed a sharp edge onto using my bench grinder. Still took a long time to remove...

Comment

yea i ve been using a chisel that fits in the grove perfectly. Problem is, it takes so much force to pry it up it started chewing up the channel that the gasket sits in. I guess ill just try the heating it up tomorrow. hoping that will make it softer and pliable.

Comment

how about acetone?

Comment

Fire
            Chuck Stong
            300+ Parts and Performance owner
            http://www.300-plus.com
            2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

im workign with the same problem on my motor, luckily im in no rush though so let us know when you figure somthing out.

Comment

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Man, I had a nightmare with a set of those once. They were bonded to the valve cover... I had to cut them out using a regular screwdriver that I filed a sharp edge onto using my bench grinder. Still took a long time to remove...
                  This, and don't stab yourself, I swear it was the longest part of the turbo conversion :lol: :evil:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

[quote]zmech wrote:
                    Originally posted by Firehawk
                    Fire
                    I concur...
                    Heat the metal on top of the gasket. That will burn the glue holding them in place. Unfortunately refinishing then becomes neccesary.
                    Paint
                    Chuck Stong
                    300+ Parts and Performance owner
                    http://www.300-plus.com
                    2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

If you goto all that trouble in removing them with new gaskets and DONT paint them something is wrong with you! lol
                      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

I got as much out as I could with a razor knife and then used a wire wheel to make it nice and pretty after that. DONT SLIP while cutting with what ever you are using!!!!! You would be amazed at how deep one of those valve covers can cut you!
                        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

yeah, if the coppers are trying to catch me riding durty, i just whip off my valvle cover into there eyes and drive off. :wink:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Mine were the same way, but a MAP gas torch from Home Depot will save you alot of time and hassel. As mentioned previously, you will have to re-paint, but that was most likely in order anyway.
                            2006 & 2007 Basketball National Champions! 2005, 6, & 7 Basketball SEC Champions! 2006 Football National Champions! 2006 Football SEC Champions! 2008 SEC Champions! 2008 Football National Champions! First University in history to capture three titles in a single year! I was there at all of them, and it was awesome! Go Gators!

Comment

Working...
                            X