cam question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cam question

I'm looking for a cam grind with around 270 duration and around .480 lift.

Anyone have a part number that isn't a crower cam (too many bad experiences with them)

Also, where is the best/cheapest place to get the OEM gasket kit needed to swap heads?

If anyone has these part numbers handy, or at least a website that can help me out with either of these, it would be greatly appreciated.

*edit*

I found a grind I like from schneider (the big turbo grind) But I'd like to know where I can expect to hit peak power. I have a set of mild ported heads (gasket matched and polished) and a T67 DBB turbo. I'd like to spin to 7500, so I can have about 4000 rpm of usable power. Is this possible?
    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

That schnieder cam you are refering to is the one I just picked up. Dont know how it feels yet but I would imagine that you could spin it to 7500 no problem due to the 280* on the intake and 270* on the exhaust. Keep in mind that this is not at .050" of lift. the numbers drop to .300" lift and 222* duration for intake and .295" lift and 214* duration for exhaust when measured at .050".

Edit: I dont see it being anywhere near a problem to spin that fast IF you have the supporting mods to do so. But you know that.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

are the schneider valve springs good to 7500rpm? Who makes the best valve springs for our engines?
      86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: are the schneider valve springs good to 7500rpm? Who makes the best valve springs for our engines?
        So far its schneider with 110lbs of seat pressure. I read somwhere that there are people taking the engines to 10k with schneider springs. I find that hard to belive but I dont think 8500 is out of the question since the stock nissan springs will hold 7k and they are 55lbs seat pressure.

Comment

I am looking into a custom camshaft to better work on vg33's. I have the schneider turbo cam in my vg33 and it sound like a stock cam. I am sure these will cost more, but for those who are interested, look for a post on this in the near future.
          Chuck Stong
          300+ Parts and Performance owner
          http://www.300-plus.com
          2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Firehawk wrote: I have the schneider turbo cam in my vg33 and it sound like a stock cam.
            Mine does too, stg.2 schneider. Also pulls 20 vac. I figured schneider must have screwed up.
            It does pull strong to 7k though.
            imagination is a virtue

Comment

Vacume is less on a larger cam, its not a mistake.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Vacume is less on a larger cam, its not a mistake.
                Whats not a mistake?
                Thats why I figured they screwed up. Because I get 20 inches of vacuum
                on their supposedly 270/262 cams.

(sorry, didn't mean to threadjack)
                imagination is a virtue

Comment

[quote]craZed wrote:
                  Originally posted by SATAN
                  Vacume is less on a larger cam, its not a mistake.Whats not a mistake?
                  Thats why I figured they screwed up. Because I get 20 inches of vacuum
                  on their supposedly 270/262 cams.

(sorry, didn't mean to threadjack)
                  Did you use a dial indicator to find out what your lift and durration were? Until you do that I wouldnt jump to conclusions that they screwed up. I made that mistake myself ops: as you can read in the "How to dial in your cams sticky"

Comment

No, I just put them in. Ohwell, whatever. I dont want to contaminate this guys thread any further.
                    imagination is a virtue

Comment

i called schneider about their stage 3 cams. they said to put a note in the box with the cores to see if i could get more lift than .450" that they advertise. I asked them about lift because from firehawk's and jason's flow numbers, ported heads flow pretty well to .500" lift. they told me that the stage 3 NA cams would start pulling at 2800 and go well beyond 7k on a 3.0L and close to that in a 3.3. im sure the 110deg lobe center helps that - only for na of course. apples and oranges, though. they at least sounded like they would work with a custom grind.

Comment

benz-tech wrote: i called schneider about their stage 3 cams. they said to put a note in the box with the cores to see if i could get more lift than .450" that they advertise. I asked them about lift because from firehawk's and jason's flow numbers, ported heads flow pretty well to .500" lift. they told me that the stage 3 NA cams would start pulling at 2800 and go well beyond 7k on a 3.0L and close to that in a 3.3. im sure the 110deg lobe center helps that - only for na of course. apples and oranges, though. they at least sounded like they would work with a custom grind.
                        Thats funny, I did just that. Put a note in the box with the cams asking them to please get ANYTHING extra out of the cams that they could. They didnt. I asked if they could squeeze anything extra out of the lobe seperation angle, they didnt. Still 114* nothing more.

Comment

SATAN wrote: []

Thats funny, I did just that. Put a note in the box with the cams asking them to please get ANYTHING extra out of the cams that they could. They didnt. I asked if they could squeeze anything extra out of the lobe seperation angle, they didnt. Still 114* nothing more.
                          that scares me because 114 l/c will be a complete waste of time on an NA engine. even 110 which is what they advertise is not overly racy for a street n/a.

Comment

[quote]benz-tech wrote:
                            Originally posted by SATAN
                            []

Thats funny, I did just that. Put a note in the box with the cams asking them to please get ANYTHING extra out of the cams that they could. They didnt. I asked if they could squeeze anything extra out of the lobe seperation angle, they didnt. Still 114* nothing more. that scares me because 114 l/c will be a complete waste of time on an NA engine. even 110 which is what they advertise is not overly racy for a street n/a.
                            NO NO, I asked for more than 114* L.S.A. because my application is turbo. I never asked anything about the NA cams so I dont know there.

Comment

Working...
                            X