Anybody else broke their crank snout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody else broke their crank snout?

I was pulling my motor apart yesterday at work so I could send off to bored and matched to some new Wiseco Z32 tt pistons, and the damn timing belt sprocket would not come off the snout. So i put a pulley puller on there and it snapped the snout clean off almost flush with oil pump cover. I have never seen anything like this before as the motor only has 90k miles, just curious as to why this would have happened or to who else this has happened to. But anyway, since I work at Nissan, I checked the part number for the crank and to see what other cars have the exact same crank according to part #.

Part # 12201-02P81 crankshaft VG30

1984-1988 S12 200SX
    1984-1989 Z31 300ZX
    1985-1988 U11 Maxima
    1986-1994 D21 Truck
    1987-1995 WD21 Pathfinder

That should help some of you junkyard seekers.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
    1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

wow, Ive actually never heard of that happening before
    2005 whore magnet

Comment

In a Mercury Villager

Actually, I head of this once before, a friend of mine was working on his mom's merc. villager's VG30 and he broke off the crank snout as well...as to why it hapened, I haven't an idea, but I have heard of it before.
      Originally posted by bronzemfp
      Passengers should be confined to the trunk/hatch area. properly secured and only given enough air to survive in a sedated state for the duration of the trip.

Comment

NissanEgg wrote: I checked the part number for the crank and to see what other cars have the exact same crank according to part #.

1984-1988 S12 200SX
        1984-1989 Z31 300ZX
        1985-1988 U11 Maxima
        1986-1994 D21 Truck

That is strange that nissans computers contain wrong information.
        It is a known fact that the later w series motors have slightly different cranks as far as the snout is concerned.
        imagination is a virtue

Comment

[quote]craZed wrote:
          Originally posted by NissanEgg
          I checked the part number for the crank and to see what other cars have the exact same crank according to part #.

1984-1988 S12 200SX
          1984-1989 Z31 300ZX
          1985-1988 U11 Maxima
          1986-1994 D21 Truck

It is a known fact that the later w series motors have slightly different cranks as far as the snout is concerned.
          Yup, One key for the balancer and another key for the crank pully. Instead of balancer and pully sharing one key on the NON W engines.
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Yup, One key for the balancer and another key for the crank pully. Instead of balancer and pully sharing one key on the NON W engines.
            two keys are better than one!! or.... wait that's two heads :shock:

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=craZed]
              Originally posted by NissanEgg
              I checked the part number for the crank and to see what other cars have the exact same crank according to part #.

1984-1988 S12 200SX
              1984-1989 Z31 300ZX
              1985-1988 U11 Maxima
              1986-1994 D21 Truck

Yup, One key for the balancer and another key for the crank pully. Instead of balancer and pully sharing one key on the NON W engines.
              If that were the only difference it wouldn't matter because the keyway slots on the gear and pully extend the length of each.

But the w snout is longer than the other. That is the whole issue with people wanting to put non w pullys (underdrive) on the w seires crank.
              I do remember that someone figured out that you can add a washer/spacer to make up for the difference.

Anyways it isn't much of an issue, but it is enough for a nissan dealership to catch hell over from less resourcfull/imaginative customers.
              imagination is a virtue

Comment

apparently the cranks snouts on the villagers breaking is not too uncommon...one of the guys I work with used to work for a ford-mercury dealer, and he said that they would often get villagers in with broken snouts...was news to me to say the least.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
                1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
                1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
                2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
                2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

From what I have seen and heard, the VG30DE/TT snouts are different than the VG30E/T. I haven't heard of the w-series and a/b-series being different only than the keyways.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                  1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                  2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

Working...
                  X