another steal under my belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another steal under my belt

this was one of those "right place, right time, enough money, don't know how it happened" kinda deals. I picked up this hy35 with 40K miles on it and this matched 4" stainless down pipe for $220! the only thing it didn't have is the v-band clamp.

Good deal.... I think a little cutting and welding and you can adapt that downpipe pretty easily.

That's one dirty turbo for 40K miles, especially considering they sit near the top of the engine bay!

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Good deal.... I think a little cutting and welding and you can adapt that downpipe pretty easily.

That's one dirty turbo for 40K miles, especially considering they sit near the top of the engine bay!
      He had it at my house. I looked it over and it seems to be in really good shape despite the filth. VERY little shaft play which is fine, even my brand new 42r had slight shaft play. The blades look VERY good also.
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Thats a cute little turbo.... J/k....nice find! The vband adapter and clamps can be very spendy. I am going to be in the market for some before too long....

440whp on pump fuel and the STOCK MAF

Comment

damn 4" thats fuckin big,does cm make a 4" turbo back or are you gonna make it yourself?
          87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Good deal.... I think a little cutting and welding and you can adapt that downpipe pretty easily.

I was so excited that I didn't clean it. but I live in the country and the dust flies pretty good out here.

and I'll be making my entire exhaust. I'll start with the 4" and make that go as far as I can, then I'll reduce to 3.5" to route it close to the factory location. then again, I might just continue the 4" and ovalize it where I need to for clearance. no cat as I don't have emission requirements but a muffler for noise control.

Comment

no need for a muffler. turbo cars are quite enough without them....

Comment

i dunno, maybe the v6 is different but the 3" turbo back on my talon with no cat and no muffler was really loud, like embarassing to leave at 6am loud. like prolly get a ticket for noise ordinance violation loud. maybe I'll try it without first as the muffler is the last thing to weld on anyways.

Comment

Yeah, I drove my car for a while with a 3" exhaust with no cat and no muffler and despite being quiet at idle...the turbo doesn't absorb that much noise when you get some load on the thing. It was obnoxious.

But nice find! My hx35 was close to 400 in the end. Which was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but what ever. Can't remember the mileage either, but it wasn't that low.

Have fun

Comment

[quote]casner wrote:
                    Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
                    Good deal.... I think a little cutting and welding and you can adapt that downpipe pretty easily.

I was so excited that I didn't clean it. but I live in the country and the dust flies pretty good out here.

and I'll be making my entire exhaust. I'll start with the 4" and make that go as far as I can, then I'll reduce to 3.5" to route it close to the factory location. then again, I might just continue the 4" and ovalize it where I need to for clearance. no cat as I don't have emission requirements but a muffler for noise control.
                    If you are just gonna reduce it later then reduce it right after the turbo and save some money and room in the engine bay by running 3.5" Fitting a 4" down pipe past the steering column takes lots of time and patience tack welding then breaking them because it is off a whole 1/8" and you have to move it and blah blah blah.... 3.5" pipe is cheaper too, not much but it is.
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

chronic wrote: Yeah, I drove my car for a while with a 3" exhaust with no cat and no muffler and despite being quiet at idle...the turbo doesn't absorb that much noise when you get some load on the thing. It was obnoxious.

But nice find! My hx35 was close to 400 in the end. Which was a bit more than I wanted to spend, but what ever. Can't remember the mileage either, but it wasn't that low.

Have fun
                      Really? I drove my turbo car around with nothing after the elbow for a good week and it was fine. You heard the turbo quite loudly, but other than that it wasnt bad. Before I went turbo with it, I drove it about a day with no muffler and it was aweful. I got my hx35 for 250 but I sold the wastegate actuator (banks) that came on it for 90 dollars, so that put me at 160. I was pretty happy about that. It has 70-80k miles on it....

Comment

Bah...a strait dump turbo IS loud. It may not be as rediculus as an open header na, but it is still loud. I dump 6" from my turbo and you can hear me coming from half a mile away while driving normaly.
                        I accualy had a buddy call me when I was a mile from his house to tell me he heard me gettin it. He wasn't mistakin.
                        imagination is a virtue

Comment

craZed wrote: Bah...a strait dump turbo IS loud. It may not be as rediculus as an open header na, but it is still loud. I dump 6" from my turbo and you can hear me coming from half a mile away while driving normaly.
                          I accualy had a buddy call me when I was a mile from his house to tell me he heard me gettin it. He wasn't mistakin.
                          Is this English?

Comment

SATAN wrote: If you are just gonna reduce it later then reduce it right after the turbo and save some money and room in the engine bay by running 3.5" Fitting a 4" down pipe past the steering column takes lots of time and patience tack welding then breaking them because it is off a whole 1/8" and you have to move it and blah blah blah.... 3.5" pipe is cheaper too, not much but it is.
                            what were you telling me about running a muffler or not?

and what do I do with all that extra 4" :?

Comment

enjoyrth wrote:

Really? I drove my turbo car around with nothing after the elbow for a good week and it was fine. You heard the turbo quite loudly, but other than that it wasnt bad. Before I went turbo with it, I drove it about a day with no muffler and it was aweful. I got my hx35 for 250 but I sold the wastegate actuator (banks) that came on it for 90 dollars, so that put me at 160. I was pretty happy about that. It has 70-80k miles on it....
                              people actually by just the actuator? I won't be using mine. Where did you sell it?

Comment

Working...
                              X