who does the best head porting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who does the best head porting?

I finally have a spare set of heads ready for porting and a valve job etc. I would like the best flow possible - the are most likely going on a 3.3L high compression NA, but i may stay w/ 3.0. I'm figuring on using stage 3 Schneider cams. before you type anything, know that this is in a pre-smog 2,200 lb 510. I have budgeted about 1k for the heads- hopefully including cams and springs, ferrera valves and port work. that might be too much to ask for though. to whom should i send these heads? your opinions please...
    just a sidebar, the turbo early (A) heads have pretty nice intake ports already. the exh sucks of course.

Heres what I know,
    A company called BC Gerolamy(here in sacramento) was THE big nissan head porting shop. They are referenced numerous times in the "how to modify your Nissan/Datsun OHC engine" book as the best for L series heads.
    I also know their involvement with Nissan racing engnes goes much further than the L series. They had their hands in all sorts of factory projects, IMSA motors(VG30), IRL engines etc..., or so I heard.
    I've been told they made VG heads work very well.
    Sadly, they're in the Harley Davidson business now, or something like that. I guess doing heads for Nissans and imports doesn't pay the bills.
    They will probably do car heads for you, but at a very high price with a long wait time, or so I'm told, again.
    Rebello racing is another very good Nissan engine builder. They have built a bunch of SCCA championship winning Nissans, which won due to their excellent head work, among other things. They are here in northern Cal as well. Rebello may not be unaffordable.
    There are other good shops i'm sure, but those are the ones I know of from some personal experience.

Paul

Comment

3.3 could cause some serious issues. The cylinder walls dont have enough room to do this safely according to others. I would heed that advice and just keep it 3.0 or close to that.

After the cams Im not sure what you have left in that budget but I would say that overall...$1k wont get it done. Actually I think you are very low on that unless you find a local shop that does good work for next to nothing and can source those valves for a very good price.

Im all for what you are doing, but I think you need to up your budget significantly.

show them my motto...
      Just stand back and throw money.
      Performance costs money.
      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

That's a gigantic can of worms you've asked us to open up.

Everything darthpaul said is 100% correct. Rebello will do VG heads, and last time I heard the same guys still work for them which helped build the Z31 race engines from the 80's.

For the relatively small budget of $1000 you can get some excellent work done, but don't expect anything stellar. There is probably only one Z31 guy I know (who is on here but will remain nameless because I don't want people annoying him to death) who is actually dropping the money on a truly awesome set of heads. I am still in the midst of having some development work done, the heads on my car now were only the beginning test set. I'm not about to commit to providing anything beyond what I already do (which is really a "stage 1" porting job, depending how how you look at it). Both the intake and exhaust ports need fill, which can wind up being very costly. For the development time and final set of heads, I will probably end up spending way more than is remotely reasonable for a 30 year old design, outdated engine. But people do that every day, so I dont rag on myself too much.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: 3.3 could cause some serious issues. The cylinder walls dont have enough room to do this safely according to others. I would heed that advice and just keep it 3.0 or close to that.

After the cams Im not sure what you have left in that budget but I would say that overall...$1k wont get it done. Actually I think you are very low on that unless you find a local shop that does good work for next to nothing and can source those valves for a very good price.

Im all for what you are doing, but I think you need to up your budget significantly.

show them my motto...
          was planning a 3.3L block w/ early heads, not boring out a 3.0
          I re-thought the head budget and you all are right, cams and springs alone will be close to 500, + valves. i might give Mark at BC Gerolamy a call and see if he'll do some side work for me- he did my the portwork on my long-rod 2.3l L-series 15 years ago. I know a guy at Comptech that might do it on the side as well. I agree that like Jason said, the port floors are too low and could use some material down there but i cant justify that expense. I really don't mind paying for high quality work as long as its not overkill on one area of the engine. I dont need heads that will flow for 350 na hp and cant pay the 2,000 in port work it would take to get that. just remember 280 crank hp in 510 should run real nice and from what i've read, that is pretty possible. theres still that set of 80's motorsport heads out there but 3,500 is a lot of cash

Comment

Working...
          X