Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picked up maxima intakes at picknpull today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like to tell people my honda powered lawn mower has vtec

hmm i have one of those honduhs too , im to stasrt telling people that!!!!

Comment

G-E wrote: z32 injectors are what 370.... and the common upgrade is 555.... so I would expect there's many available cheap

however offset that with the time/work/money getting the manifolds and shazbot and it's probably a wash
      370 is not really much of an upgrade, you can get almost that flow by raising the fuel pressure and using a walbro. Who knows how much stock Z31 injectors will flow if you remove and drill the stock pintle caps, it seems nobody has done that and reported their findings. I'd bet 320-340cc's at stock fuel pressure. Maybe a project for the future....

I guess I don't get it. When there are plenty of top-feed injectors available for the same price why purposefully limit yourself to having to find a less common size?

Comment

The injector o-ring holes are the same size... as long as whatever injectors i get seal, and as long as the rail holds them steady, I'll be fine.
        BLOZ UP.com
        It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
          Originally posted by grahfz
          I need to research on how hard it is to find bigger injectors in that style. It may be pretty easy... I'm hoping the z32 used that style.
          I think stinky is running Z32 injectors with this same intake.

I'm sure it's way better than the stock Z31 intake either way. You should do a dyno comparison (when it's running) with the 'power valve' closed and open to see what difference it makes in the power delivery.
          I talked to a fellow Maxima owner about this and he told me on his setup he actually noticed better power output with the valve closed when under boost. Wasn't sure if it was due to turbulence or what, but I actually noticed the same thing myself.... when the valve worked. Died for some reason. :lol:

He actually did quite a bit of testing on the manifold and ended up cutting the power valve totally out as well as changing the seperator's shape quite a bit to equalize the airflow the best he could:

Its kind of funny... I was actually trying to get rid of the double port throttle body myself, in my Maxima. I was going to make a new "elbow" with a 240SX throttle body on it but I may actually go with the 85-88 Maxima intake that L&P Performance modifies. For my setup in the Maxima it should work out much better than the stock one.

Comment

Your image no workie, and I really want to see it.

Comment

Hmmm. That's what was happening to me too. I used to have a mighty-vac hooked up to the valve thru the firewall so I could control it by hand. Whenever I'd close it, the motor would rattle (detonate) like crazy. Since I don't have emulation yet, it was always just too much of a PITA to try to tune it in.

Presumably the detonation is from increased cylinder filling.

What strikes me about the manifold mod in the image is that cylinders 1-2-3 and 4-5-6 are sharing plenums. That seems to be about the worst combination possible. Since the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6, you're a) choking the flow through a single runner 3 cylinders at a time, and b) those three cylinders are stealing air from each other since the inlet events overlap. Nissan split their manifolds 1-3-5, 2-4-6 to isolate the two sides of the engine for this reason. No two intake events overlap, so in effect each cylinder has it's own intake manifold.

Then again, they don't really do that anymore, and as Jason has shown, cutting out the divider in the middle of the Z upper makes real power. Has anyone tried increasing the plenum volume of a z upper without knocking down the wall?

Is there any more info on the testing that went into that manifold? Matt93SE was telling me about it, but didn't remember any details.
              It's RWD in reverse.

Comment

I already talked to L&P, and they can do the other maxima intake I have, which is what I'll be doing. Damn, I really wanted to play around with that, but the side entrance was a drag.
                BLOZ UP.com
                It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

j30_vg33et wrote:
                  What strikes me about the manifold mod in the image is that cylinders 1-2-3 and 4-5-6 are sharing plenums. That seems to be about the worst combination possible. Since the firing order is 1-2-3-4-5-6, you're a) choking the flow through a single runner 3 cylinders at a time, and b) those three cylinders are stealing air from each other since the inlet events overlap. Nissan split their manifolds 1-3-5, 2-4-6 to isolate the two sides of the engine for this reason. No two intake events overlap, so in effect each cylinder has it's own intake manifold.
                  but the maxima wasn't designed for a turbo on low grade north american gas, when it runs in vacuum the characteristics change, at part throttle or low rpm the engine isn't sucking even half the airflow capacity of the runners so sharing isn't a problem, only when you have high airflow does that become an issue, and it's a safe bet that the gloria and other ecus in japan are tuned to fix any problems that the z31 ecu isn't

Comment

Uh, not sure what you're saying.

I'm saying:

The modified manifold pictured above may have issues with high air flow, due to subsequent demand from adjacent cylinders (123, 456).

Nissan avoided this by dividing the manifold as they have in the Z and older maxima (135, 246).

It may not have helped.
                    It's RWD in reverse.

Comment

Self explanitory:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php ... e+manifold
                      It's RWD in reverse.

Comment

Working...
                      X