Why a Nissan brand timing belt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why a Nissan brand timing belt?

Its about time for me to replace my timing belt. It has about 7k miles and about 3 years on it. My question is why does everyone recomend the Nissan belt? I have never had the opportunity to look at the differences between all of the belts available, but I dont understand why a nissan belt is so much better than any other manufacturer.

My friend just bought his from autozone the other day and I looked at it and it seems very sturdy but again, I havent cut them apart to see why one would be better.

The current one I have is a Nissan belt. What do you guys run and why? I'm not concerned about the cost, just the quality. I've also been searching for kevlar timing belts for the vg30 and can only find places that do custom belts. I haven't gotten far enough to actually talk to them to see what it costs to make a custom kevlar belt. Anyone know anything bout those or any kevlar belts that are available that I overlooked?
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

I've always used Nissan or Gates with NO failures on them. Every failure has been an old no name belt on a car I had recently obtained. Fortunately both were at idle oddly enough.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Ive been through three
      Nissan, Gates and my current one that is a noname that I would have to get off my fatass to go look at........but my nissan belt is in the box of the new one...I compared them and from what I saw (Im not an engineer here though) they are pretty close in quality and manufacturing...I wasnt nervous putting it on and it has been fine so far
      Who are you to tell me my uninformed opinion is wrong?!?!?

Expert: He who has made all the mistakes there is to make in a given field.

Comment

i have a contitech belt (continental ) i know theyre stuff is high quality and i get it at cost soo booyah!

kevlar would be nice , ive heard good things of those gatorback belts too.

Comment

The off brands are not beveled like the Nissan belt. They are plenty durable but tend to "walk" torwards the edge of the timing gears while the Nissan belt does not.
          " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
          LaterZ

Comment

I'm due for my timing belt also and for the past two belt changes, 60k miles, I've gotten them from autozone. They just so happen to be goodyear belts both times. I've never had a problem with them at all.
            89 Black Z 5spd, tokico hp, msa springs, k&n cone, dynomax racemagnum muffler, stanza tb.

Comment

wonder if greddy still makes the ultra-super-fantastic-riceroni kevlar belt

Comment

I went with a Gates belt. Gates for the others as well.

One advantage outside potential quality concerns is that Courtesy Nissan has that nice kit. (Im sure you knew about that but figured others may not)

Links on the left for applications-
                http://www.courtesyparts.com/secondtier_z31.html
                Just stand back and throw money.
                Performance costs money.
                Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

G-E wrote: wonder if greddy still makes the ultra-super-fantastic-riceroni kevlar belt
                  I completely forgot about that. Quick look at their site shows that they have them for RB engines and VG30DETT and DET(T).

I want to say they arent compatible but I cant say for sure. ???

Although at $132+ I cant imagine buying one. Hell Ill just change my t-belt every 20K and call it a win. :shock:
                  Just stand back and throw money.
                  Performance costs money.
                  Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

This is some info that is available about the goodyear Gatorback belts. Supposedly reinforced with carbon fiber. That and you are supposedly able to get the same belts that nascar uses in you auto store. How much of this is true.... dunno.

"Gregg said the rapid product development process required to keep up with NASCAR race teams helps drive Goodyear’s cutting-edge technology in the automotive aftermarket. For example, the same Gatorback Poly-V belts chosen by all NASCAR teams are available straight-off-the-shelf in major auto part stores and auto service centers."

http://www.goodyear.com/media/pr/23380ep.html

Comment

[quote]OR-Zman wrote:
                      Originally posted by G-E:f4ca7
                      wonder if greddy still makes the ultra-super-fantastic-riceroni kevlar belt
                      I completely forgot about that. Quick look at their site shows that they have them for RB engines and VG30DETT and DET(T).

I want to say they arent compatible but I cant say for sure. ???

Although at $132+ I cant imagine buying one. Hell Ill just change my t-belt every 20K and call it a win. :shock:[/quote:f4ca7]

They are WAY not compatible. Four cams= way longer belt.

Comment

I'll take two!! anything good for nascar will make my car faster too. :P

seriously tho I'll be getting one for my car but I won't be putting 900+ crank hp through mine. but nascar is in the upper 800's so......

Comment

casner wrote: I'll take two!! anything good for nascar will make my car faster too. :P

seriously tho I'll be getting one for my car but I won't be putting 900+ crank hp through mine. but nascar is in the upper 800's so......
                          Assuming they are really the same thing and not just propaganda. (sp?)

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                            Originally posted by casner
                            I'll take two!! anything good for nascar will make my car faster too. :P

Assuming they are really the same thing and not just propaganda. (sp?)
                            yeah, but why tool up to make a hand full for nascar by comparison to what the automotive industry uses?

Comment

thats all my store sells is gatorbacks and we never get any complaints and i mean never :?:
                              87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

Working...
                              X