No announcement yet.

turbo a 1987 200sx se vg30e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own a 200sxse 87 for close to 12 years. I plan to do a light build-up with a TDO5 from a Talon.

Mods include pathy intake (mounted with TB facing the firewall), 88 300zxt ecu and MAF and injectors, battery relocation to the back and deleting AC, cruise.

Goal is to bring exhaust across the front of engine (low) and have turbo situated in the battery area.

I plan to set this up to be dual fuel also. I might want to change out the 3.90 rear also.

I also saw another 200sxse this past week someone wants to sell. It had no AC or moonroof or cruise control options. I want to pick it up just to make into a curb car.
    Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

well the exhaust manifolds just have to have a flange for the bolt up to the engine and three pipes come off the flange to where the turbo would bolt up. so thats why i think ima go with twin turbo so i dont have to worry about the wrap around exhaust manifold. im just new to the vg motors and looking for opinions on it
      i duno

Comment

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...g?t=1173644035

Basic layout under consideration
        Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

nice what are u doing in that pic fliping the exhaust manifolds around so u have room for the turbo give some info in ur plans with that pic
          i duno

Comment

Yes, I hope that the exhaust manifolds are symmetrical and that I can just exchange/flip them around. I have 300zxt exhaust manifolds but they are heavy/bulky and may not offer anything. I have maxima manifolds from an 89 (I think) but I will investigate if the stock manifolds can just be reversed.

General scheme is to bring the exhaust forward and 'Y' into the turbo.

Goal is to just get a closed loop running turbo car. Its all junkyard stuff and the car has 175K miles on it. I want something that spools quick (since the gear is 3.90, that may not happen).

I would like to lose the power steering and just get a manual rack if possible.

If the hood needs chopping for the pathy-plenum, then so be it. I have a line on another 200sxse and I will buy that to restore. They are somewhat rare.

The ecu/maf is from a 88300zxt. I have turbo injectors from a low impedance 300zxt. Will use a resistance and capacitance matching technique to make them work together. The car already has the correct O2 sensor stock.

I am hoping the pathy-plenum gives a low end torque boost that can help transition turbo boost onset.

I plan to thermally isolate the pathy by a couple means. the lower plenum will be treated on its interior surfaces with some thermal barrier and the gasket between the upper and lower plenum will likewise block heat transfer. the mass of the upper plenum IS a heat sink but I want it to sink boosted heat if possible.

No dedicated intercooler but I have several engineering goals for the path from the turbo
            Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

sounds good haha well let me know how it goes
              i duno

Comment

The car is at an intermediate stage. I have the pathy on, turbo injectors and ecu from 300zx (88T), sensors all wired in. Car runs very nice without a turbo. I have left the pathy manifold 'hot' for the coming winter. I used a metal plenum gasket and copper spray on the gasket. The heat just gets soaked up into the pathy. The car starts fine, idles beautiful, most codes have been cleared (det sensor remains), and today should pass inspection. In mode 2 of the ecu it runs in synch between the LEDs (good sign).

The next stage will be to find decent heads, turbo the car and see how long the block lasts. I will isolate all heat to the upper and lower plenums as best I can once the turbo is in.
                Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

I own a 88 200sx SE and it weighs a little over 2800 lbs...its a 5 speed and no factory air.I have turbocharged it using the "STS" style conversion...i used all 300zx turbo parts in the process[ECU,injectors,turbo,ect] along with a Mocal oil pump for returning the oil to the engine.

Comment

Why would you use a turbo that is slightly smaller than a stock Z31 turbo?
                    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

The 200sxse has a 3.90 rear stock. This really delays boost.

I really like how the car feels now at 3000-5500 rpm (NA with the big injectors and 88 turbo ecu). If I can get a small turbo to come in under there, 2200 rpm or so, I would be happy. Its an old car. If I blow the motor, doubtful I would keep it.

I just passed emissions today (twice) because I passed the first time and needed a new gas cap. In Colorado, they make you go through the dyno sniffer again. So I am good for 2 years now.
                      Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

crowbar wrote: The 200sxse has a 3.90 rear stock.
                        Both of my 200sx SE's had 4.111 final drives in them.
                        Shiro Special # 981 Being assembled in my spare time Chromoly acquired!
                        Originally posted by BoostedMamma
                        Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

V6? 200sxse is the V6 model. Every last one I have seen is a 3.90 rear.
                          Try not to be a Yahoo

Comment

Correct you are, That is all that I have personally owned is an 87 SE and a 88 SE, both had 4.111's in them and both with vg30's in them. With a 3.90 first gear would hit the rev limiter around 38mph. with a 4.111 it would be closer to 30mph.

From what I remember the SE's had the same transmission as the Z31 n/a's. So anyone with a 87+ n/a can contest to a 3.90 rpm/mph limit in 1st gear or overall.

Also both of my s12/SE's would hit the rev limiter in 5th gear around 135-140mph. (yea I know the factory instrument cluster only goes up to 130)

I have never maxed out my n/a or this current car, but at 75mph I am cruising at 2800 rpm with a 3.70 and 3000 rpm at 75mph with a 3.90 in 5th gear. Rb25det's have the same gearing as the 87+ turbo transmissions. By my calculations right now with my Rb I wont hit the factory rev limiter in 5th gear until at least 180mph.
                            Heads up makes teh panties drop. BUT I don't have a penis OR a fast car, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Comment

They aren't light at all. Around 3000 lbs. 2975lbs to be exact.
                              they have a smaller engine bay, and the VG is the biggest engine to ever fit in it which make no room for the crossover pipe required for the stock Z31 turbo setup.
                              Just sharing what I have learned from other S12 guys at VGpowered, good for search info :-)
                              http://www.vgpowered.com
                              Bridging the gap between VG communities...

Z shirts and more http://www.cafepress.com/zcargifts

Comment

ZDaddy wrote: They aren't light at all. Around 3000 lbs. 2975lbs to be exact.
                                they have a smaller engine bay, and the VG is the biggest engine to ever fit in it which make no room for the crossover pipe required for the stock Z31 turbo setup.
                                Yep, you are right. But what can be done is to switch the two manifolds from side to side and mount them upside down, then make a crossover pipe and mount your turbo there.

Comment

Working...
                                X