Help on turbo decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on turbo decision

I found a Hybrid HX for my Z and was wanting input from the Z-community.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Piers-Hy ... enameZWDVW

As you read they claim it spools faster than the HX35 that I currently have. If you think about it on a stock Z with a VG30 it will reach full boost(20psi) around 3500 rpms, but i'm running a VG33 so it will probobly be around 3k or 3200, or maybe less. Would anyone think it would be real cost effective to spend $600 on a turbo that might add a hair more on the Hp side but will spool faster? I sent them a message about the turbo and told them the application and will wait to see if they reply. I'm just not sure if it will help a whole lot and be cost effective, so help me out!

Hmm.. sounds interesting. Saddly I'll bet that they'll just reply saying something like "these are not ment for gas applications, diesel only"

Comment

Hmmm...according to the auction, it comes without an exhaust housing. That means it's just the compressor side and center section and your either going to have to use the housing from your HX or buy another.
      Either way, if your going to spend another $600+ on a turbo there are WAAaAY better choices than that one out there. Otherwise, you can always send your Hx off to a diesel shop and let them convert it to the) HX-35/40 for around $275. (http://www.htturbo.com/cu.htm

I just picked up a Precision PT-6176 for $699. Now THAT was too good to pass up.

Anyway...if you're not going to push more than 450-500whp, I'd say stick with what you got. That Hx will probably feel like a supercharger on the VG33 :lol:
      Precision Pt-6176
      Tubular turbo manifold
      Z32TT Pump
      450cc DSM injectors
      MGP intake
      60mm TB
      44mm ext. wastegate
      P&P Heads
      1mm oversize Ferrea valves
      Shneider cams
      3"in/out FMIC
      TurboXS RFL BOV
      3" turbo back
      Adj. cam gears
      E-Fan
      Iridium Plugs & Wires
      Romulator
      Lm-1 Wideband

Not quite together yet...but progressing

Comment

if you need to spool faster, why not put a $300 35-shot on nitrous on it?

Comment

Or maybe running a turbo that large shouldnt be spooled to 20psi by the time you hit 3000 rpms :!:
          85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
          04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

davisranso wrote:
            Either way, if your going to spend another $600+ on a turbo there are WAAaAY better choices than that one out there. Otherwise, you can always send your Hx off to a diesel shop and let them convert it to the) HX-35/40 for around $275. (http://www.htturbo.com/cu.htm
            Thanks for the link I just bookmarked it I might look into it later.

Comment

casner wrote: if you need to spool faster, why not put a $300 35-shot on nitrous on it?
              I DESPISE NOS. The only reason I would use it on my car is to spray the I/C.

But thanks for the suggestion though. 8)

Comment

how much was your turbo satan?the t66
                87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

Sorry for posting the same three times I have no clue what happened... :shock:

Comment

87-85turbo wrote: how much was your turbo satan?the t66
                    I think i remember picking up my T-66 for about $700 used. the guy was asking $950 :shock: :shock: :shock:

The 42R cost me $1200
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

ra
                      Damian_Z31 wrote: Sorry for posting the same three times I have no clue what happened... :shock:

and here I was thinking..... man!, this guy really
                      doesn't like nos! :lol: :shock:

Comment

PT6176 FTW

Don't get a small turbo. HX35s and HX40s are somewhat small turbos. Go with a real turbo. Don't be afraid of lag.
                        86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: PT6176 FTW

Don't get a small turbo. HX35s and HX40s are somewhat small turbos. Go with a real turbo. Don't be afraid of lag.
                          That's exactly what I just bought

Btw...Hx-40's are not small by any means. Hx-35's are great street turbos, and unless you running a built bottom end, anything bigger is overkill really...
                          Precision Pt-6176
                          Tubular turbo manifold
                          Z32TT Pump
                          450cc DSM injectors
                          MGP intake
                          60mm TB
                          44mm ext. wastegate
                          P&P Heads
                          Shneider cams
                          3"in/out FMIC
                          TurboXS RFL BOV
                          3" turbo back
                          Adj. cam gears
                          E-Fan
                          Iridium Plugs & Wires
                          Romulator
                          Lm-1 Wideband

Comment

[quote]davisranso wrote:
                            Originally posted by StreetFighter
                            PT6176 FTW

That's exactly what I just bought

Btw...Hx-40's are not small by any means. Hx-35's are great street turbos, and unless you running a built bottom end, anything bigger is overkill really...
                            Since I just got my Pt-6176, I should throw up some pics just to show you how much bigger a Holset is. My Wh1e dwarfs my pt-6176. Also while I was just playing around, the shaft spins A LOT more freely in the Wh1e, it's actually pretty surprising. Both turbos are brand new btw...
                            Precision Pt-6176
                            Tubular turbo manifold
                            Z32TT Pump
                            450cc DSM injectors
                            MGP intake
                            60mm TB
                            44mm ext. wastegate
                            P&P Heads
                            Shneider cams
                            3"in/out FMIC
                            TurboXS RFL BOV
                            3" turbo back
                            Adj. cam gears
                            E-Fan
                            Iridium Plugs & Wires
                            Romulator
                            Lm-1 Wideband

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: PT6176 FTW

Small Turbo? :?: :shock:

The Holset that I got from ranso is about 4x bigger than the stock T3. I will be spooling about the same and have a potential to make more HP. The turbo is good for me all around seeing as my car will see road courses, autox, and the drag strip.

Comment

Working...
                              X