Noobie camshaft question #34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noobie camshaft question #34

Hello again, I have finally gotten around to removing my broken camshaft & before I start unbolting motor mounts & jacking up/letting down the motor, can anyone tell me how to get the cam out?!!

It hits the upper radiator/hood latch crossmember with about 6" of cam still in the motor. It appears to only need about 1/4" or so to clear it.

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Joe

84t AE 57k original miles

you answered your own question.. loosen a motor mount and jack the engine up.. you should only have to loosen (disconnect) the engine mount on the same side as the cam you are taking out.

Comment

Pulling the cams out from underneath that crossmember is easier but it requires removing the motor mounts entirely.

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
      1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
      1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
      2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
      2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

Taris Blue wrote: Pulling the cams out from underneath that crossmember is easier but it requires removing the motor mounts entirely.
        This is how I pull my cams out. My engine is lowered and all I had to do was bend the underside of that cross brace slightly. works great now.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

yeah, I was there to help satan put his newest cams in and that was very slick and highly recommended!! will be doing that to my car as well.

Comment

hm...

it occurs to me that that crossmember is ridiculously easy to remove, but maybe that's only on my car.
            88ss, MegaSquirted.
            t3/t4 60-1 cold, stage 3 hot, FMIC
            450cc DSM injectors, walbro 255
            http://www.z-toys.com/ Boost gauge and MS info

Comment

tmbg wrote: hm...

it occurs to me that that crossmember is ridiculously easy to remove, but maybe that's only on my car.
              I thnk so because the way they came from factory it is part of the unibody frame thing. Meaning you have to CUT it out to remove it normally.
              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

This is how I have changed cams.

I put jack stands under the frame. I then used a floor jack to support the engine cross member. I removed the four nuts from the member and lowered the whole assembly just enough to clear the front member.
                MODEMEAGLE

1986 300zx GLL NA modified

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                  Originally posted by tmbg
                  hm...

I thnk so because the way they came from factory it is part of the unibody frame thing. Meaning you have to CUT it out to remove it normally.
                  Cut the crossmember out?You on drugs or something??
                  Straya, +61

Comment

I think he's talking about the crossbar where the hood latch sits.
                    It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

Ahh,righto.Yeh,i was thinking that after i posted...Doh!
                      Straya, +61

Comment

Working...
                      X