Infinity M30 upper plenum and engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinity M30 upper plenum and engine

I was reading an old Road & Track article about the Infinity M30 available on f31club.com. It says that Nissan took the original design of the Z31 upper plenum, but the intake port design is totally new for improved low to mid-range torque characteristics.

Also, for the engine, extra reinforcing ribs were added to the cylinder block to serve a dual purpose: increase rigidity and lower vibration. Sorta like the 3.3 block.

Maybe something worth looking into . . .
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

I don't think the M30 vg30 block is different than any other VG, because we did a motorjob on a m30 last year that had a cracked block.. we got one from a VG30 that came out of a maxima, and there wasn't a thing different.

Comment

probably just w-series

road&track is by no means the definitive guide to everything

Comment

bemis wrote: It says that Nissan took the original design of the Z31 upper plenum, but the intake port design is totally new for improved low to mid-range torque characteristics.

Maybe something worth looking into . . .
        hmmm...that could be very interesting actually. Time to search around a bit.
        Just stand back and throw money.
        Performance costs money.
        Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Is this what you are refering to? Interesting but not even sure this is a stock intake. Doesnt look like anything else I was able to find.
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/603787/2

This one is hard to tell. Could be a Z31 plenum with a different cover. :? Saw a couple pictures in different places that were this same look. Pics of one removed would be much better but I wasnt able to find that yet.
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2477500
          Performance costs money.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: Is this what you are refering to? Interesting but not even sure this is a stock intake. Doesnt look like anything else I was able to find.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/603787/2

This one is hard to tell. Could be a Z31 plenum with a different cover. :? Saw a couple pictures in different places that were this same look. Pics of one removed would be much better but I wasnt able to find that yet.
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2477500
            That first one you linked to i'm pretty sure is just a stock vg30DE upper plenum. The second one you linked to just looks like a normal Z31 plenum to me? I suppose it would help if the cover was off of it to see a little more but....
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Satan- I was thinking the same thing. Dang hard to tell with a cover on it sittting on an engine.

The basic dimensions look roughly the same, but I am still interesed to see something better that what I found.

DrewZee- your up man....show us the money.
              Performance costs money.

Comment

No need for photos. It's a dead stock z31 intake plenum by every means. Maybe they messed with some diameters or something. I doubt it. The M30 was the "Oh shit, what do we do with all this excess z31 crap we have lying around" car......

No surprises. I haven't pulled the motor yet but it's a standard W if I ever have seen one. Sorry.
                "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

The 91 M30 i recently came across in the Upull yard had the cover off. The outside shape
                  looked no different than the Z31 plenum. It had more emissions crap on the PCV valve,
                  but the upper plenum looked identical.
                  I bet when they discontinued the Z31 they had lots of parts left over that they incorporated
                  into the short lived M30s. Even the center console switches looked similar.

you know...Leftovers

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

Maybe somebody needs to cut one open to see what the interior looks like, and measure the diameters of the runners, upper and lower.

Everything can be identical on the outside, but inside a whole other beast. Sorta like the saying can't judge a horse by its teeth.(or a book by its cover)

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                    1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                    2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

NissanEgg wrote: Everything can be identical on the outside, but inside a whole other beast. Sorta like the saying can't judge a horse by its teeth.(or a book by its cover)
                      yes you can, you can determine if it's old :P

Comment

NissanEgg wrote: Maybe somebody needs to cut one open to see what the interior looks like, and measure the diameters of the runners, upper and lower.
                        Actually just look in the parts fiche for the same part numbers.

I bet they are the same thing, just recycled.

84 AE/Shiro #683/Shiro #820/84 Turbo

Comment

I just took a quick look in my garage. Ive got my m30 motor and ET motor with the UIM off. Externally they look the same, the uim even has the spot for the pop off valve. Its just plugged on the m30. The LIM's look the same also. i shined my flash light down into it and couldnt see a difference. I would be very curious to know what, if any, differences there are.

Jesse

Comment

Wouldn't better low to mid be smaller on the inside?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: Wouldn't better low to mid be smaller on the inside?
                              I belive that a larger plenum is better for low to mid power. The large reservior of air acts as a sort of capacitor for fast off idle responce. A smaller plenum is aimed more at topend power.
                              85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                              04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X