EGR's effect on performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR's effect on performance

i'm going to delete my EGR when i win the auction on my gutted plenum. Does the EGR's existance hinder or help overall performance? The idea of removing emissions controls worries me.

I'd assume it's also safe to say that i might as well delete my cat as well because i'll never pass emissions without an EGR?
    Funny stories!

I removed mine on my n/a and didnt notice any difference.

Comment

A friend got a low km JDM VG30ET sent over and it didn't even have an EGR valve at all...
      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

I removed all egr stuff on my na and again on my turbo.I didnt noticed anything.
        1986 Current build
        HX35/40 60mm wheel,480cc injectors,nistune, spearco 2-221,6 puck,walbro fp,solid cross and diff,jason motor mounts,poly everywhere else.

Comment

Has been discussed before.

Just for better cruisin isn't it? Little bit better gas mpg.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

For those who care,

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/emis_EGR.html
            http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

It does no harm, and technically should benefit fuel economy. The ONLY reason to remove it is to tidy up the engine slightly or if you have a plenum that wont accommodate it.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: It does no harm, and technically should benefit fuel economy. The ONLY reason to remove it is to tidy up the engine slightly or if you have a plenum that wont accommodate it.
                as it has already been said, my plenum will not accomodate. How would you recommend removing it? It appears that the bolt that holds the tube onto the manifold is fairly well rusted on and i seriously doubt that any amount of PB blaster will get it to break loose. With that said I'm tempted to cut the tube and bend it shut. What other methods have you guys used to close up that gaping exhaust leak?
                Funny stories!

Comment

What you can do is cut the pipe off even with the head of the bolt. Use a long extension and a large breaker bar and you should be able to get it loose. Take it out and bring it to a welder; they can weld the middle hole shut. Reinstall it and your done.

Or, if you are afraid that you can get it out, try and bend it shut, but it may leak.

Comment

weld the hole shut. it didn't take long to break the tube off then weld the hole closed. i got my bung out of the manifold. i didn't even use any PBlaster.

[quote]homestar wrote:
                    Originally posted by Jason84NA2T
                    It does no harm, and technically should benefit fuel economy. The ONLY reason to remove it is to tidy up the engine slightly or if you have a plenum that wont accommodate it.
                    as it has already been said, my plenum will not accomodate. How would you recommend removing it? It appears that the bolt that holds the tube onto the manifold is fairly well rusted on and i seriously doubt that any amount of PB blaster will get it to break loose. With that said I'm tempted to cut the tube and bend it shut. What other methods have you guys used to close up that gaping exhaust leak?

Comment

MikeZ wrote: What you can do is cut the pipe off even with the head of the bolt. Use a long extension and a large breaker bar and you should be able to get it loose. Take it out and bring it to a welder; they can weld the middle hole shut. Reinstall it and your done.

Or, if you are afraid that you can get it out, try and bend it shut, but it may leak.
                      hang on if i can get the bung out then all i really need to do is find a bolt that will fit in the hole and stuff it in there no? That way when i go to (attempt to) pass emissions all i need to do is swap plenums and i can have my EGR back.
                      Funny stories!

Comment

[quote]homestar wrote:
                        Originally posted by MikeZ
                        What you can do is cut the pipe off even with the head of the bolt. Use a long extension and a large breaker bar and you should be able to get it loose. Take it out and bring it to a welder; they can weld the middle hole shut. Reinstall it and your done.

hang on if i can get the bung out then all i really need to do is find a bolt that will fit in the hole and stuff it in there no? That way when i go to (attempt to) pass emissions all i need to do is swap plenums and i can have my EGR back.
                        Yes, but it is a strange thread pitch I believe. My friend bought some pipe plugs from Home Depot and came out while driving.

Comment

[quote]MikeZ wrote:
                          Originally posted by homestar
                          Yes, but it is a strange thread pitch I believe. My friend bought some pipe plugs from Home Depot and came out while driving.
                          hmm... nothing a little thread lock can't handle. I'll see if i can find the bolt and stuff it in there, if it doesn't work i'll weld the bolt onto the manifold so that i only need to cut the weld to reinstall the EGR if need be.
                          Funny stories!

Comment

I removed the bung and used a (1/2"?) NPT pipe plug gooped with tons of exhaust system sealer... you should also be able to use high temp RTV as well. Been in there probably 3 years without issue.

Comment

If you decide to do that and still need to pass emissions then there is a cat you can buy from BMW that the many tuners run on highly tuned motors and still pass emissions. From what I gather BMW's don't have all of the emission crap on their cars so they make up for it by running this badas$ cat that reduces emissions immensly. You can run it in place of a test pipe and it works from what I hear.

I'll do some more searching on the topic if needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X