Bead Blasting the valve covers......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bead Blasting the valve covers......

I have completely lost my patience trying to clean up my valve covers, ( paint and baked on rubber gasket) I have been leaning away from just blasting them clean in about 5min, because I do not want to chance getting any grit behind the baffles and what not.
    My question is, has anyone done this? Any recommendations?

Hers what i tried so far:
    Hot tanked
    aircraft remover( got 95% of the paint off)
    Several types of scraping tools to remove the gasket( got about 90% of that off)
    I tried torching the rest of the gasket off and was a little sucessful. as for the 5% of paint left It kinda flakes off now and there are burn marks all over the cover.

I really wanna blast these things.

wire wheel on a bench top or a hand held grinder. Or by hand but that will take forever.
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

If you hot tanked them, and they are dry I would try it. Just remember to blow out any leftovers

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

run though parts washer. scrub thorougly. rinse. sandblast. run through parts washer again. hose it off with carb cleaner. rinse. blow out with air compressor. paint. I just went through this 2 weeks ago

Comment

I cleaned mine with a sandblaster and had them powdercoated. They came out like new. Just wash inside of them and then blow it all out with compressed air.

Comment

Yep, I sandblasted mine, blew all the sand out with a compressor and powdercoated them.

Oh, and oven cleaner works perfectly on the insides of the valve covers when it comes to taking off the coked oil.
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
            2000 Porsche Boxster
            2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

OrionMCP wrote: run though parts washer. scrub thorougly. rinse. sandblast. run through parts washer again. hose it off with carb cleaner. rinse. blow out with air compressor. paint. I just went through this 2 weeks ago
              Exactly. I did two last night and have another 3 this week. Dont have prob with grit.

Comment

use a sandblaster. :roll:

this is engine tech???? come on. :!:

Comment

Hardcore paint stripper + steel wool + about an 1 hour =

http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

ah the joys of starting off with an N/A
                    Funny stories!

Comment

Are you referring to me? If so then you would be wrong, those are the covers to my 86T...

Comment

300zxt wrote: Are you referring to me? If so then you would be wrong, those are the covers to my 86T...
                        no i was referring to me. My car is an NA2T and i'll never have to worry about getting that red shit off of my valve covers.
                        Funny stories!

Comment

It's not that hard, a hardcore paint stripper will peel it right off... I had the joy of stripping covers that had been painted twice! Someone thought it would be a good idea to just paint over the factory red with more engine enamel, NOT fun lol

Comment

Working...
                          X