'biggest' cam availible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'biggest' cam availible?

I'm not completely sold on Schneider's stage 3 cams with "only" .450" lift. not to mention the probs SATAN has been having with them.
    anyone runing anything bigger w/ 280+ deg of duration w/ up near .500" lift? after seeing Jason's and other's flow bench numbers, i get the feeling I need cams with as much lift as possible to really benfit. I'm willing to have the lobes welded if needed, but i know only so much can fit through the bores. with NA my HP is heavily reliant on good cyl heads. opinions?

I am thinking the companies stop there because it might interfere with the cylinder heads. Pure guess tho

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

The JWT S2 cams are supposed to have the highest lift available without modifying the head. They are also ground on stock blank cam billets.
      Shiro #443

Comment

Who would weld up your lobes for you? Welding on cast iron is a pain in the ass cause you have to keep it hot while you are welding on it other wise it cracks easily.

Ive got an idea :idea: :idea: :idea:

1. Buy the biggest JWT cams.
        2. Have schneider regrind those to have larger lifts and longer durrations.
        3. Tell them to make it right or dont make it at all.

This would do 2 things. Give you huge amounts of lift and durration and at the same time you would still be able to fit it in the stock nissan head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: UNLESS, that is what JWT allready does. They make the lobes as high as they can and then make the base circles as small as they can. But I doubt it.

Doing this you would also have to keep in mind how much slack your lifter can take up.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: I am thinking the companies stop there because it might interfere with the cylinder heads. Pure guess tho
          good guess. Ijust ran a stock cam though the bore and it is real close but they would fit through still if say .050" were added to the lobe. this, added to the standard re-grind of the base circle could yield the nearly .500" i'm looking for.
          i have a head apart and i just did a rough measurement at the valve and have .424" lift at the valve. i wonder if these cams weren't stock. granted thats just with the valve laying in the head upside down with no spring.

Comment

[quote]benz-tech wrote:
            Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
            I am thinking the companies stop there because it might interfere with the cylinder heads. Pure guess thogood guess. Ijust ran a stock cam though the bore and it is real close but they would fit through still if say .050" were added to the lobe. this, added to the standard re-grind of the base circle could yield the nearly .500" i'm looking for.
            Originally posted by MrwassmanNA2T
            i have a head apart and i just did a rough measurement at the valve and have .424" lift at the valve. i wonder if these cams weren't stock. granted thats just with the valve laying in the head upside down with no spring.
            Dahahahahaha!

Comment

SATAN wrote: Who would weld up your lobes for you? Welding on cast iron is a pain in the ass cause you have to keep it hot while you are welding on it other wise it cracks easily.

This would do 2 things. Give you huge amounts of lift and durration and at the same time you would still be able to fit it in the stock nissan head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
              still having issues with yours? i might have done just that but i can't find the JWT's for sale in the classifieds anymore and your situation is not inspiring confidence in Schneider at the moment.

Comment

[quote]benz-tech wrote:
                Originally posted by SATAN
                Who would weld up your lobes for you? Welding on cast iron is a pain in the ass cause you have to keep it hot while you are welding on it other wise it cracks easily.

This would do 2 things. Give you huge amounts of lift and durration and at the same time you would still be able to fit it in the stock nissan head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:still having issues with yours? i might have done just that but i can't find the JWT's for sale in the classifieds anymore and your situation is not inspiring confidence in Schneider at the moment.
                Well, I dont want to dog Schneider but I'm wondering how many people who get the cams for the z31's actually measure them out to see if they are correct or not. I'm willing to bet about 99.9% of z31 guys just throw them in and call it good. I know I did the first time around over 2 years ago.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=benz-tech]
                  Originally posted by SATAN

This would do 2 things. Give you huge amounts of lift and durration and at the same time you would still be able to fit it in the stock nissan head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:still having issues with yours? i might have done just that but i can't find the JWT's for sale in the classifieds anymore and your situation is not inspiring confidence in Schneider at the moment.
                  Well, I dont want to dog Schneider but I'm wondering how many people who get the cams for the z31's actually measure them out to see if they are correct or not. I'm willing to bet about 99.9% of z31 guys just throw them in and call it good. I know I did the first time around over 2 years ago.
                  as you can tell from my anal-retentive posts and questions, I wont be one of those guys either. as always there is never a real good solution without spending $$$

Comment

I asked the rep at schneider if they could make my cams with a bit more lift, so they are grinding my cams to 280 duraton, 480 lift on the intake, and 270 duration and 464 lift on the exhaust. He said it was the largest that they could do.
                    86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: I asked the rep at schneider if they could make my cams with a bit more lift, so they are grinding my cams to 280 duraton, 480 lift on the intake, and 270 duration and 464 lift on the exhaust. He said it was the largest that they could do.
                      Thats funny, I wrote him a note asking the same thing and just got back the regular stage 3 grind. :?

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: I asked the rep at schneider if they could make my cams with a bit more lift, so they are grinding my cams to 280 duraton, 480 lift on the intake, and 270 duration and 464 lift on the exhaust. He said it was the largest that they could do.
                        didn't someone try that and they came back at .450" still. maybe with the longer duration at 280ish they can't achieve more. I am probably stuck with them. they still seem to be the best- relatively speaking.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                          Originally posted by StreetFighter
                          I asked the rep at schneider if they could make my cams with a bit more lift, so they are grinding my cams to 280 duraton, 480 lift on the intake, and 270 duration and 464 lift on the exhaust. He said it was the largest that they could do.
                          Thats funny, I wrote him a note asking the same thing and just got back the regular stage 3 grind. :?
                          damn you type fast

Comment

benz-tech wrote: still having issues with yours? i might have done just that but i can't find the JWT's for sale in the classifieds anymore and your situation is not inspiring confidence in Schneider at the moment.
                            thats because i bought them :twisted:
                            Bolt on, fast, z31. You can only pick two.
                            Old weaksauce numbers: 391hp/433tq

Comment

[quote]Matt89 wrote:
                              Originally posted by benz-tech
                              still having issues with yours? i might have done just that but i can't find the JWT's for sale in the classifieds anymore and your situation is not inspiring confidence in Schneider at the moment.
                              thats because i bought them :twisted:
                              I snooze, I lose. :cry:

Comment

Working...
                              X