Turbo failure..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo failure..

my turbo seized a while back.. i put a loaner in from a friend a while ago, but i just recently took my broken one apart to see what happened.. its a turbonetics unit with a stage 3 turbine and a 54 trim compressor that i bought from dan at TSS a few years ago... the thing wouldnt turn at all. i figured the bearings were screwed, but the oil looked clean at the inlet and outlet.. then i took the compressor cover off and the shaft turned freely.. it turns out the entire shaft shifted forward and the compressor wheel hit the compresor housing.. did something cause this, or is it just a random failure? has anyone seen this before?

Isn't there something that controls the thrust of the turbine/compressor/shaft? Could the turbo be missing or have the wrong thrust part(washer?)?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

there is a washer and a few bearings.

also a snap ring inside could have broken.

Comment

This happens all the time in larger sized turbos. The thrust bearing (normally 270* thrust bearing if I remember right) will fail causing the compressor to shoot out and hit the housing. It is a VERY common failure. The big turbos typically use a full 360 degree thrust bearing to help this problem for racing applications. Or any application I guess.

Google search thrust bearing. Both 270* and 360*. Look for pics and you can see what it is in your turbo.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

SATAN wrote: This happens all the time in larger sized turbos. The thrust bearing (normally 270* thrust bearing if I remember right) will fail causing the compressor to shoot out and hit the housing. It is a VERY common failure. The big turbos typically use a full 360 degree thrust bearing to help this problem for racing applications. Or any application I guess.

Google search thrust bearing. Both 270* and 360*. Look for pics and you can see what it is in your turbo.
          thanks satan.. i looked at some diagrams of turbos and i came to the same conclusion.. its good to know someone else confims my thoughts. thanks for the info.. can anything be done to prevent this type of failure aside from getting a 360 degree bearing next time?

Comment

For your current turbo? No not really. It sucks but its just kinda the way it goes. Turbo's create a LOT of thrust so its no suprise they go through the bearings like that. Ball bearings help out A LOT in turbos for thrust related failures. But you cant really adapt your turbo to B.B.'s
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Working...
            X