Muffler install question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muffler install question?

Just replaced my stock muffler with new muffler that is a straight through design. It feels more responsive, which is cool. Sounds good to. My question, is it common to lose mpg when replacing the stock muffler? I've only driven it one day. So I'm assuming the computer is still adjusting for it. So far the car is reading 5 miles less per gallons. I wanted a free flowing muffler, but just wondering if I gave up mpg by the install. It is a 88 na..

1988 Nissan 300zx (Improving it one day at a time)

im guessing his inaccurate center gauge on his GLL. however, inaccurate or not, it should be consistent.
    Must Go Faster, Faster Untill The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.

Comment

I'm looking at the gauge on my z. I did the math when I first got the car and found that the gauge was not to far off than what I calculated on paper. I was kind of stunned when I seen 5 mpg less on highway. Yet, I'm waiting till my next fill up with the new muffler to recalculate. I was just courious if anyone had experience a lost of mpg. I guess I jump ahead of myself. But it is good to know there be no different. Thanks

Comment

You're probably just sticking your boot into it cos you like the sound so much and chewing up more juice in the process :P

Comment

Stop using that as a gauge for fuel mileage and start keeping track at the gas pump with the trip. Furthermore, if you mileage really does drop it's because your driving changed or the new muffler flows worse than the previous one. Our computers don't adjust. At all. They are non-adaptive. (unless i'm sorely mistaken...)
          My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
          My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
          207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

When I put the Certified Muffler cat back system on my 87 NA GLL, I noticed that my peak highway cruising MPG were down just a bit, but were a little better in the rest of the RPM ranges.
            Drive

1975 Datsun 280Z
            1988 300ZX (NAtoT soon)
            2006 Kawasaki ZX6R

Comment

Az4u2c wrote: the new muffler flows worse than the previous one. Our computers don't adjust. At all. They are non-adaptive. (unless i'm sorely mistaken...)
              Well dam, just my luck. I didn't know that about he computer. I was kinda thinking that about the muffler to. But I'll just wait till next fill up to really find out. Thx.

zed-031-You're probably just sticking your boot into it cos you like the sound so much and chewing up more juice in the process
              zed-031, your probably right on that to. :lol: I love the sound now.

Comment

zed-031 wrote: You're probably just sticking your boot into it cos you like the sound so much and chewing up more juice in the process :P
                yup

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

I noticed a similar effect. When i went turbo my mileage improved (no cat and no slushbox auto) but my mileage on nice days is terrible because i find myself listening to the wonderful little wooshes, screams, and gasps. hwy mileage is up one or two when i keep my foot out of it.
                  My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                  My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                  207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

Agreed, the mpg gauge is stupid inaccurate aswell even on new cars... A friend used to work at a gas station and he used to get the dumbest idiots coming back to him and saying "I dont think you put any gas in, my km to empty gauge still reads the same" not realizing that it's relative to the SPEED you're going!
                    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Any body know what input the Dte and MPG computer use to do their caulculations. i mean besides MPH. Most people it seems dont really even know what a trip meter is real useful for and forget about them trying to even do basic math of milage drive/ gallons used.

-Pete

Comment

rc10ps85 wrote: Any body know what input the Dte and MPG computer use to do their caulculations. i mean besides MPH. Most people it seems dont really even know what a trip meter is real useful for and forget about them trying to even do basic math of milage drive/ gallons used.

-Pete
                        I would imagine it uses the map sensor or maybe the maf. I use my trip meters all the time. One for gas, the other for oil changes.
                        Chuck Stong
                        300+ Parts and Performance owner
                        http://www.300-plus.com
                        2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

The only thing a higher flow muffler could really ever do to mileage is increase it.

12.88 @ 114 mph.. in a 91 maxima at 14 psi

Comment

Working...
                          X