P Trim or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P Trim or not?

I'm going to be buying a Garrett T67 next week, but I need to make the decision on if I should spend the extra $75 on the P Trim exhaust. The std housing would get me better spool, but there is also a 50-75hp difference in the two, should I reach those limits.
    What do you think?
    1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
    2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

No comment, I'm tired of repeating myself. :roll:
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Are you debating between an o and p trim?

Comment

Yes. I'm really worried that the car will fall flat on its face when reaching upwards of 500+hp with the smaller housing. If the motor was any smaller, then I wouldn't be too worried about it. However, I really don't want to get up to a certain point beneath my goals, and find that things are getting too hot and I'm pulling more timing than I want.

SATAN wrote: No comment, I'm tired of repeating myself. :roll:
        I found one post debating this peticular turbo, and it didn't quite answer my question. There aren't a lot of people here with large turbos, so it's obviously not a territory that most people are ready to jump into lightly. So perhaps you could make people feel more comfortable with their questions about the bigger turbos, instead of making them afraid to ask them and instead go the "usual" route of the t04e, HX, or 60-1.
        1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
        2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

[quote]Evil Z31 wrote: Yes. I'm really worried that the car will fall flat on its face when reaching upwards of 500+hp with the smaller housing. If the motor was any smaller, then I wouldn't be too worried about it. However, I really don't want to get up to a certain point beneath my goals, and find that things are getting too hot and I'm pulling more timing than I want.

Originally posted by SATAN
          No comment, I'm tired of repeating myself. :roll:I found one post debating this peticular turbo, and it didn't quite answer my question. There aren't a lot of people here with large turbos, so it's obviously not a territory that most people are ready to jump into lightly. So perhaps you could make people feel more comfortable with their questions about the bigger turbos, instead of making them afraid to ask them and instead go the "usual" route of the t04e, HX, or 60-1.

I say go P-trim. Look at the dyno graphs of the setups that Jason has listed on the dyno page and use some of those setups as a reference. Several T-4's are shown, so it may give you a good idea of spool time. I really think the difference in spool time between a stg 5, O-trim, and P-trim is so close it really wouldn't matter on the street where it matters. Because of that I mean hell, might as well go P and pickup the extra 15-25 whp and more linear curve it might give you over a smaller wheel.

Btw...I got a Pt-61

Gt40 compressor wheel (61mm) in the S-housing
          .81ar t4 turbine housing with P-trim wheel and 3" v-band exhaust

I estimate 20psi around 37-3800rpm with my setup which is perfect for me.
          Precision Pt-6176
          Tubular turbo manifold
          Z32TT Pump
          450cc DSM injectors
          MGP intake
          60mm TB
          44mm ext. wastegate
          P&P Heads
          1mm oversize Ferrea valves
          Shneider cams
          3"in/out FMIC
          TurboXS RFL BOV