turbo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo question

The fins on this turbo seem to stick out farther than the ones on my 85t did. Am I just trippin from too little sleep or what? Anybody have a good shot of a stock t3 compressor inlet?

ZenArcher? WOAH that's a name I haven't seen in a while. Did you disappear for a while?

Oh The blades do look a bit odd, but I am tired as well and don't have a pic handy.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote: ZenArcher? WOAH that's a name I haven't seen in a while. Did you disappear for a while?

Oh The blades do look a bit odd, but I am tired as well and don't have a pic handy.
      Yeah I guess I did almost disappear. I posted some on z31.com and tried to help Bum keep the kids in line on zcar but family things kept me almost totally occupied for a few years. Sold the 85t and found this new one almost by fate or something. The PO said the turbo was modified but PO's say a lot of things and I couldn't pin him down on details. It looks like a t3 though and I remember that 88 models used a t25 so he changed something at least. It seems like the compressor wheel on my 85t turbo was completely inside the housing but it's been awhile since I saw it. If you run across a pic later on I'd like to see it.

Comment

looks like you have too much shaft play and the fins have been pulled outward from the contact with the comp housing. Look at the lines in the comp housing and that appears to evidence this. I bet that turbo moans like a whore. Prepare to rebuild?
        "If you don't hold it....you don't own it"

Comment

its been a while since ive seen a stock turbo, but it looks to me like that compressor housing has been bored out and fitted with a larger wheel. i remember the inlet being thicker, and the shaft normally doesnt stick out that car. i bet that turbo just has slightly larger wheels in bored out stock housings.

Comment

that is definitely not a stock wheel and the compressor inlet has been modified. I'm not sure what the turbos look like for the 280zx's but that could be it?

this is what it's supposed to look like stock:

Funny stories!

Comment

Hmmm I dunno but appreciate the input. Like I said, the PO was vague on details. No shaft play DrewZee87T (long time no see bro) and what looks like scoring in the inlet prolly is but not from the wheel. No contact when I spin it and the fins look normal. I've never driven the car but I did hear it run and there was no turbo noise. Of course there wasn't any load on it when I heard it but I think it's okay. I would like to have a bigger compressor though. This would definitely be a good time to do it.

Comment

theres no wastegate vacuum lines on your turbo
                87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

No but it does have 2 bigass springs on the actuator rod lol

Comment

Working...
                  X