Open dump wastegate is awesome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open dump wastegate is awesome

Sounds like all hell is breaking loose. Scares the shit out of people driving next to you. Makes people think your car is going to eat them. In short = awesome.

Yeah, so my 84 Z is back out on the road as of today and I have installed the "New" turbo and external wastegate. I need to take some pictures, which I can add to this thread later. The turbocharger was from the 87 which is now a new project for articles in Nissan Sport. I converted it back closer to stock turbo specs, and the parts went on my 84. I'm sure it picked up some power over the old setup, but it remains to be seen exactly how much.

The only big difference is the hot side, which is a stage 5 turbine in .63a/r as opposed to a stage 3 in a bored stock housing. It actually spools just as fast if not faster, and has much more topend power. For reference, Stage 5 is very similar to P or O trim T4 turbines (has the inducer of 0 trim and exducer of P, I believe?).

The 40mm Tial Sport wastegate is mounted to a tube off the passenger side of the crossover pipe. It sits about where the stock ASCD (cruise) used to sit. I would like to see if I can adapt another smaller ASCD off a Z32 or Pathy, because I can't live without cruise control. The dump pipe is routed straight down rearward of the starter. Pics soon.

Glad to hear you finally swapped it over. And yes, the open dump is coolness.

Comment

About time you swapped the GT35 in
      Get it to the track!
      2005 whore magnet

Comment

I have to concur. Open dump does sound mean.
        Chuck Stong
        300+ Parts and Performance owner
        http://www.300-plus.com
        2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I've been eyeballing the cruise on my pathfinder thinking it would be a nice change for the Z. Maybe after Branson that can be added to the list.
          http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

And at night you can see the fire it shoots out! 8)
            85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
            04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

when you hear an open wastegate, it says upgraded turbo and scares people. I couldn't get this S2000 to play after he heard a third gear pull. Open dump is freakin sweet.
              86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

Can anyone possibly get a link to a clip of an open dump sound?i've only heard a bov :lol:
                87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

This thread was worthless without pics.

Please ignore my awfuly dirty engine bay.

Looking down towards ground:

From the front:

From the Top:

Engine Bay (nitrous system will be coming out, water-meth injection going in):

Comment

StreetFighter wrote: when you hear an open wastegate, it says upgraded turbo and scares people. I couldn't get this S2000 to play after he heard a third gear pull. Open dump is freakin sweet.
                    Tonight one of my friends saw me driving when he was walking. He said he could hear the open dump from (what he thought was) 5 blocks away.

Comment

So have you tried running real low boost to see if the wastegate is still able to divert enough gas? I know my gate at 9psi it will slam up to 9 and not bounce one bit above or below.
                      http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote: So have you tried running real low boost to see if the wastegate is still able to divert enough gas? I know my gate at 9psi it will slam up to 9 and not bounce one bit above or below.
                        It has what I believe is a ~16PSI spring in it, so no. Know where I can get a new one cheap?

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Sounds like all hell is breaking loose. Scares the shit out of people driving next to you. Makes people think your car is going to eat them. In short = awesome...
                          Lol Open dump is good

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                            Originally posted by Steve88t
                            So have you tried running real low boost to see if the wastegate is still able to divert enough gas? I know my gate at 9psi it will slam up to 9 and not bounce one bit above or below.
                            It has what I believe is a ~16PSI spring in it, so no. Know where I can get a new one cheap?
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIAL-SPO ... dZViewItem

$40 shipped. Says they are real Tial springs to.

Comment

[quote]MikeZ wrote: [quote=Jason84NA2T]
                              Originally posted by Steve88t
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TIAL-SPO ... dZViewItem

$40 shipped. Says they are real Tial springs to.
                              No way I'm spending that much... it's a maybe 30 cent spring! Gotta be something as good for cheap. As long as the metallurgy is good, a spring is a spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X