Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Got Intercooler Set Up Installed. Lost 3 PSI Boost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got Intercooler Set Up Installed. Lost 3 PSI Boost?

Bought an Isuzu Turbo Diesel NPR air to air Bar and Plate Intercooler off of ebay.

I let Firehawk (300+ Plus and performance) Have the car, as well as a T3 turbo I bought off ebay with a ".63 A/R Turbine". (Looks like stock turbine to me?)

He installed the intercooler, he ran all the piping, mounted it all up, put the new turbo in, all was good.

But now my "turbo lag" increased by AT LEAST 50%, and I can only build 5 psi of boost (stock wastegate no Boost controller), and in the lower gears only 4 psi Boost. For instance if im driving in 2nd gear at 3000 rpms and go WOT, it will build up boost (not NEARLY as fast as my stock set up) and the gauge will peg 5 psi and sometimes will come down to 4 1/2 psi of boost it seems like?

There to my understanding is NO boost leaks, car runs CRISP and smooth and ran strong as it always did before. I barely have any "coupler connections" on my set up since most of the piping has been welded up together nice and smooth.

I checked ALL clamps, tightened down extremely snug, re-checked them, and I have nothing connected to the charge pipe (No AIV, no Idle up, no EGR, no nothing at all. its all been sealed up so to my understanding is no loose hoses or anything like that.

I dont know what else to check?
    Bad Turbo?
    EXTREMELY in-efficient Intercooler (I thought these flowed good?)
    Boost leak?
    Bad wastegate (Its the same gate that worked flawless with my old turbo

I have no idea whats going on or what to check, but the car is now much slower (of course) and im lost?

Any Pointers? :?

YES I know the IC Piping is sticking below the "bumper line", but we HAD to set it up like that because of the way the end tanks were and how the pipes came out.
    1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
    ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
    1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

I would say:

bad turbo, wastegate

or

rag or paper towel sucked into intercooler.
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1984 300ZXT[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    [strike:ff0tp92h]1986 300ZX 2x2 NA2T[/strike:ff0tp92h]
    2000 Porsche Boxster
    2007 Toyota Yaris

Comment

Obviously you have a boost gauge right? What's the vacuum reading at idle?
      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

Welcome to pressure drop. No one said they were efficient, just one of the better of the stock intercoolers. Something between the turbo and tb is causing this, and my guess is the intercooler is not as efficient as you think.

There is always a certain amount of drop from adding an IC, and there is always SOME lag caused by the restriction and additional volume. The key is for that to be minimal while doing its job of cooling.
        http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

300zxt wrote: Obviously you have a boost gauge right? What's the vacuum reading at idle?
          Boost gauge is perfectly fine, its -18 at idle, cold starts -20 in/hg

I guess its just pressure drop... DAMN its alot of pressure drop though ill tell you that... ill do a boost leak test soon, but first I need to buy the tester.
          1SIKZ31 -86 SlickTop- R.I.P. 03/01/10 ... Parted out :-(
          ... New Project: LS1 Miata. Complete. 510whp. 2500lbs.
          1 Month Away from Rear Mount 76 --> 650-700whp.

Comment

you might have a boost leak though,because honestly i really cant tell the difference of lag from when i didnt have an ic or maybe mine is just a good quality bar and plate i dont know,the only problem i still have is the car shuts off when i take my foot off the gas,i think its the tps though
            87 2by2 na2turbo,AE shell comin soon

Comment

Off topic, but your engine looks really nice. Just be gentle :wink:

Comment

How much boost were you making before the IC install? An IC alone doesn't make any more power. You make more power by installing an IC and turning up the boost while still maintaining a safe air/fuel ratio.
                Don't tell me you bought one of those cheap EBAY turbos? Do you have any pics of the new turbo?
                Shiro #443

Comment

did you pressure test the intercooler before you put it in???

there will be a little pressure drop through an intercooler. how big is your piping? it looks like its about 2.5" from the pictures. larger pipes will also cause pressure drop.

Comment

84z31 wrote: larger pipes will also cause pressure drop.
                    No it won't; it will cause lag. Pressure drop is caused by a restriction.

Comment

[quote]Steve88t wrote:
                      Originally posted by 84z31
                      larger pipes will also cause pressure drop.
                      common myth, 3" piping and 3.5" core here. 6psi as fast as stock.
                      Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a mans character make him a moderator.

Comment

[quote]Steve88t wrote:
                        Originally posted by 84z31
                        larger pipes will also cause pressure drop.
                        And by the cooling effect itself. My NPR core only had about 2-3PSI drop at 13PSI though. The NPR core does nto flow the best, but the charge air temperatures will be very low, even in extreme conditions.

Get a boost controller and take the manifold as your pressure source, not the compressor housing. Anything below 8-9PSI boost and it is useless to have an intercooler on there anyway. Turn it up!

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: And by the cooling effect itself.
                          I really should be more thorough and specific when I take the time to correct people. My whole response there was lacking in that.

Comment

my response was lacking as well. sorry.

Comment

pressure test it. Check for leaks. If there aren't any leaks, get a fuel system and run 18psi. The car will wake up with any more than 12 psi.
                              86 hardtop shell, 93 SC300 engine, 95 soarer bellhousing, 91 supra transmission, 95 Q45 differential hubs and driver's side axle, 1992 300ZX turbo driver side axle and calipers, 2004 350Z Rotors, 87 300ZX front end/hood, 1999 Viper radiator, 1992 Mustang throttle body. Lots of glue and tape to keep it all together.

Comment

Working...
                              X