Getting ready for turbo swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting ready for turbo swap...

Hey everyone, haven't posted in a long time.

I'm getting ready to do a turbo swap on my '87 slicktop and only need the turbo. I found a 70mm T4 turbo here in town, brand new. The guy wants $200 for it. I've had my heart set on a holset turbo, but this one's here right now. Any opinions on the quality of the holset to the T4? Power differences? The last thing I'll need after the turbo is the manifold so if someone's got one laying around I'll take it.

Thanks a lot
    Charles

edit: Forgot to mention, I'm looking for 350 wheel at about 18 pounds.

I've already got intercooler, new injectors, pump, engine management, clutch, spark and oil cooler. I just need to know about the turbo.
    BoostLogic.com

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zkxncds9poQ

No freakin way. Avoid it like the plague...$200 T70 means it's most likely either not a T70 or a cheap chinese knock off. Either way even if it's legit you'd need to FULLY build your motor, and I mean FULLY just to make it worthwhile. A real T70 is good for 800whp depending on the car it goes on and is overkill for your goals...ie wouldnt spool til past 4700rpm.

Go Holset, Hx-35 or Hy-35 or maybe Hx-35/40. Otherwise go Precision turbo like an Sc or Pt-61 which both are pretty much equivalents to the gt-35/40 family. Honestly the only used turbos I would ever consider buying are Holsets because they are so sturdy, and rebuilds are easy and cheap.

My advice is get a turbo that will give you decent spool for the street unless you like to drag your car, but also room to grow into high whp because you know you'll want it later as your build progresses.

Try a Holset Hx-35/40. It's a turbo that will last forever and give you up to 640whp if you ever need it. Brand new they go for $799 or can be upgraded from an Hx-35 for about $350. Otherwise sc61's and pt61's can be had even cheaper. I got my brand new Pt-61 for $699. Definitly go with a name brand turbo or not at all...
    Precision Pt-6176
    Tubular turbo manifold
    Z32TT Pump
    450cc DSM injectors
    MGP intake
    60mm TB
    44mm ext. wastegate
    P&P Heads
    1mm oversize Ferrea valves
    Shneider cams
    3"in/out FMIC
    TurboXS RFL BOV
    3" turbo back
    Adj. cam gears
    E-Fan
    Iridium Plugs & Wires
    Romulator
    Lm-1 Wideband

Not quite together yet...but progressing

Comment

The turbo said GT45 Y2004K on it. He ran it on a dyno for 30 minutes and that's the only time it was used.
      BoostLogic.com

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Zkxncds9poQ

Comment

CharlesFord wrote: The turbo said GT45 Y2004K on it. He ran it on a dyno for 30 minutes and that's the only time it was used.
        :shock:

You have no idea do you...

...why don't you google a gt45. See what you get...
        Precision Pt-6176
        Tubular turbo manifold
        Z32TT Pump
        450cc DSM injectors
        MGP intake
        60mm TB
        44mm ext. wastegate
        P&P Heads
        Shneider cams
        3"in/out FMIC
        TurboXS RFL BOV
        3" turbo back
        Adj. cam gears
        E-Fan
        Iridium Plugs & Wires
        Romulator
        Lm-1 Wideband

Not quite together yet...but progressing

Comment

davisranso wrote: No freakin way. Avoid it like the plague...$200 T70 means it's most likely either not a T70 or a cheap chinese knock off. Either way even if it's legit you'd need to FULLY build your motor, and I mean FULLY just to make it worthwhile. A real T70 is good for 800whp depending on the car it goes on and is overkill for your goals...ie wouldnt spool til past 4700rpm.

Go Holset, Hx-35 or Hy-35 or maybe Hx-35/40. Otherwise go Precision turbo like an Sc or Pt-61 which both are pretty much equivalents to the gt-35/40 family. Honestly the only used turbos I would ever consider buying are Holsets because they are so sturdy, and rebuilds are easy and cheap.

My advice is get a turbo that will give you decent spool for the street unless you like to drag your car, but also room to grow into high whp because you know you'll want it later as your build progresses.

Try a Holset Hx-35/40. It's a turbo that will last forever and give you up to 640whp if you ever need it. Brand new they go for $799 or can be upgraded from an Hx-35 for about $350. Otherwise sc61's and pt61's can be had even cheaper. I got my brand new Pt-61 for $699. Definitly go with a name brand turbo or not at all...
          pt-61 for $699? where?!
          Gone - 1988 Shiro
          2004 BMW 330Ci
          2005 BMW 330i
          1991 Twin Turbo Z's (Red and Black)
          http://www.E46Turbo330Ci.com

Comment

[quote]NIVO wrote:
            Originally posted by davisranso
            No freakin way. Avoid it like the plague...$200 T70 means it's most likely either not a T70 or a cheap chinese knock off. Either way even if it's legit you'd need to FULLY build your motor, and I mean FULLY just to make it worthwhile. A real T70 is good for 800whp depending on the car it goes on and is overkill for your goals...ie wouldnt spool til past 4700rpm.

pt-61 for $699? where?!
            I got mine from Dan at http://www.hyperformanceracing.com/turbos.htmfor $699. He had a clearance sale and had several of them on ebay for $699 "buy it now".
            Right now it looks like they're $729. Still not too bad if you ask me...
            Precision Pt-6176
            Tubular turbo manifold
            Z32TT Pump
            450cc DSM injectors
            MGP intake
            60mm TB
            44mm ext. wastegate
            P&P Heads
            Shneider cams
            3"in/out FMIC
            TurboXS RFL BOV