noob turbo question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob turbo question

i'm eyeball fucking the shit out of the GT3071 series turbos. If what they advertise is correct, it will be perfectly sized to meet my 350whp goal. My question is this: Can I just buy the compressor housing and cartridge and just snap it into the stock turbine housing or do i need to figure out a custom exhaust fabrication?
    Funny stories!

homestar wrote: i'm eyeball fucking the shit out of the GT3071 series turbos. If what they advertise is correct, it will be perfectly sized to meet my 350whp goal. My question is this: Can I just buy the compressor housing and cartridge and just snap it into the stock turbine housing or do i need to figure out a custom exhaust fabrication?
    Nope...turbine housing needs to be bored to accept the wheel. You'll need to send it in to a shop. Not too hard to do...
    Precision Pt-6176
    Tubular turbo manifold
    Z32TT Pump
    450cc DSM injectors
    MGP intake
    60mm TB
    44mm ext. wastegate
    P&P Heads
    1mm oversize Ferrea valves
    Shneider cams
    3"in/out FMIC
    TurboXS RFL BOV
    3" turbo back
    Adj. cam gears
    E-Fan
    Iridium Plugs & Wires
    Romulator
    Lm-1 Wideband

Not quite together yet...but progressing

Comment

If you haven't bought one yet I can get you a price on that turbo. Let me know.
      Elitist Prick Black Z owner.
      1986 300zx Turbo
      2011 Ford F150 Super Crew 4x2 EcoBOOST
      1985 Toyota 4Runner, locked, lifted, geared, uglied.

Comment

Make a new exhaust elbow if you can, or have it done. Boring the turbine housing is one solution that obviously works, but will sacrifice efficiency... maybe enough to offset any gain from using a GT series instead of an older T series.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: Make a new exhaust elbow if you can, or have it done. Boring the turbine housing is one solution that obviously works, but will sacrifice efficiency... maybe enough to offset any gain from using a GT series instead of an older T series.
          Agreed. If you can get a custom downpipe made, almost anything is better than the stock setup with a non-stock turbo.

My question to you homestar...why would you stop at 350whp :lol: ?
          Precision Pt-6176
          Tubular turbo manifold
          Z32TT Pump
          450cc DSM injectors
          MGP intake
          60mm TB
          44mm ext. wastegate
          P&P Heads
          1mm oversize Ferrea valves
          Shneider cams
          3"in/out FMIC
          TurboXS RFL BOV
          3" turbo back
          Adj. cam gears
          E-Fan
          Iridium Plugs & Wires
          Romulator
          Lm-1 Wideband

Not quite together yet...but progressing

Comment

davisranso wrote: My question to you homestar...why would you stop at 350whp :lol: ?
            1. Money, I'm not made of it. I'm on the broke college kid spending plan.
            2. Reliability, the main value that I get out of my Z is being able to take it on long distance trips. I don't want to continue replacing parts and breaking things by putting too much power through it
            3. Responsivness, GT30XX is the turbo for me as it will spool faster than stock
            Funny stories!

Comment

homestar wrote: i'm eyeball fucking the shit out of the GT3071 series turbos. If what they advertise is correct, it will be perfectly sized to meet my 350whp goal. My question is this: Can I just buy the compressor housing and cartridge and just snap it into the stock turbine housing or do i need to figure out a custom exhaust fabrication?
              You can do it cheap and easy like i did, have the stock exhaust housing bored by a welding/machine shop that way you don't have to monkey around with all the fab work.
              Black 1986 300zx Turbo coupe (Chuki)
              http://z31performance.com/showthread...86-Turbo-Coupe
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Pewter 1986 300zx N/A 2 Turbo 2+2 (Chuki)
              http://z31performance.com/showthread...9;s-1986-300zx

Comment

Working...
              X