Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you guys do about your rear main seal????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you guys do about your rear main seal????

I just pulled my tranny tonight but before I started I noticed that my rear main was leaking. This happened the last time I built my new engine. It leaked for about 20 miles and then stopped for some reason and never leaked after. This time its not stopping though.

I was wondering how you guys install your rear main seals though. I use a big socket and lube the shit out of the seal with grease inside and out and make sure it is pressed in evenly around the crank. This still didnt do it.

Its a felpro seal so I will go buy a Nissan one this week but still. DAMMIT!
    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

I'm sure nissan will gladly sell you the "tool" .... which is a glorified pipe with a cap to hammer on

Comment

G-E wrote: I'm sure nissan will gladly sell you the "tool" .... which is a glorified pipe with a cap to hammer on
      and I'm sure that just like all things nissan it will be ridiculously overpriced
      Funny stories!

Comment

[quote]homestar wrote:
        Originally posted by G-E
        I'm sure nissan will gladly sell you the "tool" .... which is a glorified pipe with a cap to hammer on
        and I'm sure that just like all things nissan it will be ridiculously overpriced
        You are out of your goddamn mind! Its Nissan OEM components. I'm sure the rear main seal tool is only 4 gazillion dollars and worth every penny at that!

retard :roll:

Comment

SATAN wrote:
          You are out of your goddamn mind! Its Nissan OEM components. I'm sure the rear main seal tool is only 4 gazillion dollars and worth every penny at that!
          everyone knows you need the "proper tool" for a proper job

Comment

just use a huge socket
            http://www.youtube.com/user/onefast87

Comment

Inspect the sealing surface on the crank once you remove the felBLO seal. If there's even a single scratch it could cause the leakage. I've never had more than a few drops leak from mine, but I always use Victor or OEM (which might even be the same seal, they are both made in Japan and look almost identical).

Comment

^^^ Yeah, check for knicks or scratches when you get the blown one out.

1986 300ZX Turbo...sold
                1990 Skyline GT-R...new money pit
                2014 Juke Nismo RS 6-speed...daily

Comment

on all seals included cam, crank and rear main, i use rtv on the outer lip and use a good amount of grease on the inner lip.. i tap them in with either a big socket or brass drifts..

Comment

I just used a little 3 in 1 oil a hammer and a 2x4. Works great!

Comment

I only use nissan seals. Use some rtv on the bottom retaining piece. Be care when installing, and inspect the seal, too. You can even use the old seal to seat the new. Make sure the seal has grease in it; nissan uses red grease, but it sometimes needs more. I also grease the crank, too.
                      Chuck Stong
                      300+ Parts and Performance owner
                      http://www.300-plus.com
                      2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll look into all of those things in a bit. When you guys say RTV you are talking about gooing the outside of the seal where it touches the seal race? I guess you could call it. and then grease the insied where it rides the crank.

I do normally grease both sides, basically dunk the seal in grease and put some on the crank. This time I may do the RTV on the outside of the seal though. Not with grease on the outside too of course.

Comment

SATAN wrote: Thanks guys, I'll look into all of those things in a bit. When you guys say RTV you are talking about gooing the outside of the seal where it touches the seal race? I guess you could call it. and then grease the insied where it rides the crank.

I do normally grease both sides, basically dunk the seal in grease and put some on the crank. This time I may do the RTV on the outside of the seal though. Not with grease on the outside too of course.
                          you can use a heavy grease like vasoline on the outside as well

Comment

vasoline chemically breaks down rubber in many gaskets. use synthetic lube. "read non petroleum"

Comment

[quote=SATAN]Thanks guys, I'll look into all of those things in a bit. When you guys say RTV you are talking about gooing the outside of the seal where it touches the seal race? I guess you could call it. and then grease the insied where it rides the crank.quote]

thats exactly what i mean.. the outside edge of the seal does not move against the "seal race".. if it isnt moving and it is suppose to seal in oil, then seal it as best you can.. rtv will do the best job.. it works great.. i do it on all my seals in all my cars..

Comment

Working...
                              X