oil starvation on road courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil starvation on road courses

I was wondering if I should go with a dry sump system no that I am going through the engine. A guy from toronto showed up to my z clubs fall festival and had a 750hp z with a dry sump oil system. He was telling me that if you go somewhere like the glen you will starve one side of the engine and eventually blow your engine. Since I am putting a bunch of money into the engine I wouldn't want to have to waste a motor when I go to the track. The guy said that he went through 4 motors before going dry sump. I think that I saw a performance oil pump on the AMZ site. I might only go to the glen once or twice a year. The car was the craziest z that I have seen in person. Any opinions or thoughts on this?

dry sumps are expensive.

i don't think you could actually do that on our z's just from looking at the oil pan . if it is possible to do ,for a cheaper remedy you can always weld in some baffles . its what we do on the porsche 944 turbo's , but those are notorious for oil starvation. ive never heard this happen on a z31.

Comment

Oil will not starve on a z31. It seems to be more of a z32 problem considering how many of those I have seen die on course. I have run at the glenn, and all was fine. I have been to many tracks, never had a problem. Just make sure the oil level it full.
      Chuck Stong
      300+ Parts and Performance owner
      http://www.300-plus.com
      2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Ok, since somone brought up the dry sump, I have a question. My boss' rich friend has one of them new fancey BMW Motersickles. It came with a dry sump oil system. I was wondering, WHY? The only reason I can see to put a dry sump on a bike would be to have less windage from oil splashing around. But as far as oil starvation, I wouldnt think it would be a problem on a bike due to the fact that as the bike leans the g's still stay centered on the bike. Not sure if i'm explaining this well but i'm sure you guys understand what i'm saying.

EDIT: OOPS SATAN on casner's account.

Comment

Since your doing the vg30det i guess you have the oil starvation like the z32s.
          1986 Current build
          HX35/40 60mm wheel,480cc injectors,nistune, spearco 2-221,6 puck,walbro fp,solid cross and diff,jason motor mounts,poly everywhere else.

Comment

Anyone know why they starve out?

Is this the reason behind there added oil squirters?

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

no, it all has to do with the design of the pan, starvation occurs when lateral g-force pushes the oil away from the sump/oil pickup, therefore killing oil feed and pressure, which makes your engine go boom

I know VG30.com makes baffled, increased capacity pans for VG swapped 510s, they could probably make one that will clear the Z31 crossmember for the same if not a little bit more money they charge for off the shelf 510 pans

http://www.vg30.com/alt/510vg30parts_alt.html

check it out

Comment

Andrevas wrote: no, it all has to do with the design of the pan, starvation occurs when lateral g-force pushes the oil away from the sump/oil pickup, therefore killing oil feed and pressure, which makes your engine go boom

I know VG30.com makes baffled, increased capacity pans for VG swapped 510s, they could probably make one that will clear the Z31 crossmember for the same if not a little bit more money they charge for off the shelf 510 pans

check it out
                Right, so then answer my question about the dry sump on the bike.
                85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote:
                  Originally posted by Andrevas
                  no, it all has to do with the design of the pan, starvation occurs when lateral g-force pushes the oil away from the sump/oil pickup, therefore killing oil feed and pressure, which makes your engine go boom

check it out
                  honestly I couldn't answer your question about the dry-sump bike except for your windage idea, and maybe because it allows mounting the engine lower for a lower center of gravity since it has no pan at all?????

Comment

yeah i have a baffled oil pan for a 510, the main reason is that the depth is less and the sides are extended out to re-gain the volume. i have no issues with starvation on turns but hard braking will drop my press to "0". then again i have Z32 brakes in a 2200lb car. I will remedy this issue before my next engine.

Comment

my guess about the bmw bikes is twofold, space and maintenance, a dry sump system relocates the pump and reservoir away from the engine... which helps in the tight packaging of a bike

it helps prevent the oiling mechanicals from becoming overheated, makes oil coolers easier to plumb, lets you move it lower and further back for weight distribution (allows everything to sit lower actually).... and yes bikes are subject to high g's, the dry sump system allows any reasonable angle of gravity to still feed the oil pump

Comment

ive run at watkins glenn a couple times.. oil pressure was fine. unless your Z can pull like 2 lateral Gs then i wouldnt worry about it too much.. the oil pan is pretty deep. the only thing i do before the track is to make sure my oil is completly full, or even a half quart overfilled.

Comment

not to steer this thread too far away from its origins, but when did you race at the glen and how much was it? i live pretty close to it and have always wanted to run that track, autocross is getting kinda boring.
                          1987 300zx N/A 5 speed 172,XXX miles--K+N intake, 240sx TB, MGP gutted intake plenum, Jacobs Ignition, Jacobs 8.8mm wires, Hotshot Headers, Magnaflow catalytic converter, Borla cat-back exhaust, short throw shifter, and cupholders. Can't fit the rest... 3.6 stroker kit and some cams coming soon!!!!

Comment

that would be to keep the center of gravity lower. without the oil pan, the engine sits much lower, thus keeping the weight low and giving the bike much better handling capabilities. other benefits are more room, better cooling, and oil starvation.
                            Must Go Faster, Faster Untill The Thrill Of Speed Overcomes The Fear Of Death.

Comment

devitor wrote: not to steer this thread too far away from its origins, but when did you race at the glen and how much was it? i live pretty close to it and have always wanted to run that track, autocross is getting kinda boring.
                              Check with the different clubs that rent it out. It has been too long, but most tracks are about $150-200 a day.
                              Chuck Stong
                              300+ Parts and Performance owner
                              http://www.300-plus.com
                              2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                              X