7M-GTE motor in a z31???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7M-GTE motor in a z31???

I have seen the MKIV's 2JZGTE in a z31, in fact I think there's a website on that one.

I've never seen a 7MGTE in a Z31.

(My personal opinion based on working with both cars is a 7M would not be an upgrade to a VG30ET so I would not see the point in doing the swap other than the wow factor. If you compare directly, the 7M is a lot heavier and won't make much more power than the VG will mod for mod. They come with a slightly more overhead-ready fuel system and an intercooler, so power potiential on entirely stock equipment is a good bit higher.)

I agree with Jason completly, no point of swapping imo the VG is a better motor with a ton of potential

Oh And 2JZ ftw, one of the best motors ever mass produced

I dunno about in a Z31 though the VG just seems to "fit" the Z31 if you know what I mean, now a 2JZ in a 240Z :twisted: my next project possibly?
    2005 whore magnet

Comment

considering how many stock mk3's I've seen with blown hg's.... I'd stick with the vg on that fact alone

Comment

yeah, don't tell my buddy, but i think i smell coolant when i am behind him :!: (he owns one)

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

G-E wrote: considering how many stock mk3's I've seen with blown hg's.... I'd stick with the vg on that fact alone
          I just used a cometic MLS gasket... so my dad's should never have that problem again. They're about $100, install like stock and you'll blow everything else up before it. BTW they will make one for the VG30ET if we pre-order 50 pair :-(

Comment

while we're on the topic of unreliable parts...

our 97 caravan shredded the second serpentine belt.... apparently the tensioner pulley allows the belt to walk and eventually the alternator I think eats it....

chrysler's solution? rather than design a new pulley that has a lip on inside and outside.... a $20 plate you bolt onto the tensioner stud, the only problem is that it sits about 4-5mm from the pulley, doesn't turn.... and allows another fugging belt to shred gah!

so when I get a chance I'm going to fix it with a new custom aluminum pulley, I checked out the bearing it uses, pretty simple dimensions, shouldn't be hard.... in the meantime I pressed the plate flatter so it sits closer to the pulley, it touched in places but nothing a screwdriver couldn't fix

I hate all car companies for these stupid little things... think about it, the idler pulley has lips, why doesn't the tensioner pulley ????

Comment

G-E wrote: the idler pulley has lips, why doesn't the tensioner pulley ????
              For ease of belt instalation,possibly?
              Could a second idler pully be used in place of the tensioner pully?
              Attached Files
              imagination is a virtue

Comment

yeah I agree for sure about the 7M...it's a good motor probably on par with the VG30E, however I see no reason to ever put one in a Z, it's nothing special and when you can use a VG30ET in a Z without a hassle the choice seem pretty clear...why bother wasting the time on a swap when you can make just about the same power on a VG?

1987 Nissan 300ZX Turbo (Budget Supercar)
                1987 Nissan 200SX SE (Old School FR)
                1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R (Balls To The Wall Track Car)
                2000 Nissan Maxima SE (Daily Driver)
                2006 Scion tC (Wife Whip)

In an ideal world I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

Comment

craZed wrote: For ease of belt instalation,possibly?
                  Could a second idler pully be used in place of the tensioner pully?
                  that I don't know, the diameter seemed smaller which isn't that critical, but the inner race I'm sure is different, getting new bearings would probably equal the cost of a new part

either way if my hackjob works then I probably won't bother, I will talk to a couple mechanics however and see what they say, maybe I can run off a few for this particular problem

Comment

Working...
                  X