Disassembling engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disassembling engine.

I am going to be dissasembling the engine for the first time to give to the machine shop. Is there anything that I need to be aware of. I know that i have to keep the bearings, etc with each piston and keep track of the positioning of the rocker arm bolts. All of the head bolts are going to be new but you have to loosen in a pattern. Any other don'ts. I am going to read through the haynes but I thought that I would ask.

bolts

at the end of each cylinder head there is a tiny 10mm bolt.(one per head) for the water jacket they are small and usually caked in shit. if you don't remove them then you will fuck the head. i almost fucked mine before i double checked.
    Andrew

Comment

Comment

It is a good ideato loosen all the bolts in the correct order. Heads, manifolds,crank girdle. Stuff like that.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I got into the habit of doing that. I don't know why, i just do.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

MrwassmanNA2T wrote: I got into the habit of doing that. I don't know why, i just do.
            because it should be the reverse of the tightening sequence, the stresses involved are the same... do it wrong and it might warp

Comment

If you have over 150k miles on that motor, then you can almost bet that you're gonna need to regrind the crank and find oversize bearings.
              My motor had 176k and needed it.
              1987 300ZX Turbo - http://www.z31performance.com/forum/vie ... php?t=3114
              2001 Tiburon Turbo 60-1 270whp/268tq

No cupholders? Where am I gonna put my beer????

Comment

Evil Z31 wrote: If you have over 150k miles on that motor, then you can almost bet that you're gonna need to regrind the crank and find oversize bearings.
                Can't go by miles. I have seen cranks that were 200k and perfect, 90k and needed polishing.
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
                  Originally posted by Evil Z31
                  If you have over 150k miles on that motor, then you can almost bet that you're gonna need to regrind the crank and find oversize bearings.
                  Can't go by miles. I have seen cranks that were 200k and perfect, 90k and needed polishing.
                  I've never seen it myself, but from what i've heard, I agree with Firehawk. Mileage doesn't seam to be a very good indication of wear. Hell, take a look around local used car lots. There are some with 150+ that look, run, and are better than others with less than 60. Depends a lot on what the maintenance was like and how it was driven. Hwy miles are really easy. The railroad around here gets 300+ out of their big dodge/chevy shuttle vans, and even then it's then it's the tranny that goes, the engine runs fine.
                  My beloved Z:1987 2+2 NA2T w/30a swap.
                  My black sheep: 88ss parts car (pretty much stripped and gone)
                  207k miles and counting. Turbo'd since 155k.

Comment

[quote]Firehawk wrote:
                    Are we talking grinding or polishing? They should always be micro-polished if you are building with fresh bearings...

I've never had a vg30 crank that needed grinding, but it seems all of the stock engines I have had were pretty well cared for... until I got them.

Comment

Evil Z31 wrote: until I got them.
                      lol that made me laugh.

1985' 2+2 Z31 Non Turbo...
                      1986' 2+2 Z31 Turbo...

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote: [quote=Firehawk]
                        Are we talking grinding or polishing? They should always be micro-polished if you are building with fresh bearings...

I've never had a vg30 crank that needed grinding, but it seems all of the stock engines I have had were pretty well cared for... until I got them.
                        The example I was referring to only needed polishing, but I have come across one crank that was so worn it was trash.
                        Chuck Stong
                        300+ Parts and Performance owner
                        http://www.300-plus.com
                        2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                        X