Well, I started on the project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I started on the project

As some of you may know, I'm swapping out motors and turbos from my old setup. I spun a rod bearing on my W-Series motor and I was tired of the T25 anyway, so what better time to put a good 9.0:1 NA motor with a T3/T04? I'm still waiting on my turbo which SHOULD come in this week from a guy named Nicholas Andrews. Hopefully he's a straight guy. Seemed to be in the emails. Anyway, here's a couple pictures of my progress.

Now, disreguard the the stupid AC line, but where is everyone mounting their MKIV intercoolers? I went ahead and pulled the condenser since I'm not running AC anymore, but the intercooler is so short and stubby, I'm having a hard time finding an opimal location to mount it AND still get sufficient air flow. I've seen a few pictures, but none with the bumpers pulled so you can see mounting. Any ideas or pictures of help?

Another good time to clean out the engine bay. Believe it or not, I've already done this once. Its a wonder what a bad exhaust leak and a little road grime will do to your engine bay in a year's time.

And all I can say is WOW! Its SO much easier pulling the motor with the transmission at one time. Oh and sorry for the pictures. They're of low quality because they were taken with my phone and I don't know how to resize them without using HTML and I didn't want to spend the time using a program. ;/
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Projects are fun.

How'd you spin a rod bearing?
    BLOZ UP.com
    It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

BLOZ UP wrote: Projects are fun.

Lets just say 1 quart of oil isn't enough for the VG at WOT. I had leaky turbo seals and I was burning it through my exhaust and never knew it. I had an exhaust leak on the manifolds so I couldn't hear any noticeable engine noise and right around 3K miles on the motor since I installed it, I spun a bearing. ;/ It was a good motor too.

BTW, is your name Nick?
      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Sweet, keep us updated .
        " I don't want to come off sounding butt-hurt, but I really loathe most cressida owners and I'm glad I soiled their platform with a Nissan dinosaur under the hood." - Butter
        LaterZ

Comment

That's a shame, but I'm glad you're back at it and doing some upgrades in the process!

9:1 IC'd with a hybrid should be really nice even on low boost with stock fuel.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote:
            9:1 IC'd with a hybrid should be really nice even on low boost with stock fuel.
            I hope so, thats what you guys have talked me into doing
            1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
            1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

Trust me, it was nice with the T3/T4.. much better than a stock turbo.
              vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
              2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

I'm still REALLY open to suggestions/ideas on mounting my Intercooler. Anyone have any pictures with the bumper cover off or anything that would help give me a better idea. I'm guess just really long brackets to mount near where the condenser was located?
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

FlawleZ wrote: I'm still REALLY open to suggestions/ideas on mounting my Intercooler. Anyone have any pictures with the bumper cover off or anything that would help give me a better idea. I'm guess just really long brackets to mount near where the condenser was located?
                  I'd guess that seeing it might help.

The best way is probably to pull the front cover off and hold it in place bearing in mind how the bumper cover fits.

Comment

be different, go v-mount and hood vents

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                      Originally posted by FlawleZ
                      I'm still REALLY open to suggestions/ideas on mounting my Intercooler. Anyone have any pictures with the bumper cover off or anything that would help give me a better idea. I'm guess just really long brackets to mount near where the condenser was located?
                      I'd guess that seeing it might help.

The best way is probably to pull the front cover off and hold it in place bearing in mind how the bumper cover fits.
                      Right. I've done this a bit and I guess there's no way around making some sort of interesting mounting brackets. I'm not sure yet but even just one solid mount and the weight of the intercooler resting downward on that metal frame would seem to be sufficient. It would also be of course tightly sinched in with the intercooler piping.

G-E wrote:
                      Originally posted by FlawleZ
                      be different, go v-mount and hood vents
                      I'm by no means cliche, but the only thing other than the hood itself that I don't find rather repulsive is the stock turbo hood scoop.
                      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

[quote]FlawleZ wrote:
                        Originally posted by BLOZ UP
                        Projects are fun.

Lets just say 1 quart of oil isn't enough for the VG at WOT. I had leaky turbo seals and I was burning it through my exhaust and never knew it. I had an exhaust leak on the manifolds so I couldn't hear any noticeable engine noise and right around 3K miles on the motor since I installed it, I spun a bearing. ;/ It was a good motor too.

BTW, is your name Nick?
                        Yes, my name is Nick.
                        BLOZ UP.com
                        It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

well the way im thinking of mounting my supra ic is about fifteen to twenty degrees more vertical than the rad (whatever angle is optimal), on the drivers side of the air dam (oil cooler on pass side) , routing the turbo to i/c piping maybe under that rad mount(hks ic style) or between the drivers side wheel well and headlight bucket , wherever is more convenient , and the the i/c to throttle body piping going over the rad between the rad endtank and bumper ( maybe cutting some bumper off if need to) and practically as much of a straight shot from over that rad to the tb... of course making whatever brackets i need isnt a problem , i am also going to be fabbing some proper ducting from the air dam to i/c .. i still havent found the ideal place for my bov , im pretty sure im going to be sticking it in on the turbo to i/c part off piping tho.

i was going to pop the i/c in just for kicks but since my im low on cash and i still have to buy piping and couplers n other crap , ive decided to lay it off until i get my holset turbo rebuilt . so i can take my time designing the best routes to go about with the piping . i have given it alot of thought tho if you cant tell.

just remember that less turns the piping does the less pressure drop you will see , piping diameter is also important,im going with 2.5 because both the holset and ic have 2.5 inch diameter outlets, it will be overkill but ill be happy.

Comment

2+2turbo wrote: well the way im thinking of mounting my supra ic is about fifteen to twenty degrees more vertical than the rad (whatever angle is optimal), on the drivers side of the air dam (oil cooler on pass side) , routing the turbo to i/c piping maybe under that rad mount(hks ic style) or between the drivers side wheel well and headlight bucket , wherever is more convenient , and the the i/c to throttle body piping going over the rad between the rad endtank and bumper ( maybe cutting some bumper off if need to) and practically as much of a straight shot from over that rad to the tb... of course making whatever brackets i need isnt a problem , i am also going to be fabbing some proper ducting from the air dam to i/c .. i still havent found the ideal place for my bov , im pretty sure im going to be sticking it in on the turbo to i/c part off piping tho.

i was going to pop the i/c in just for kicks but since my im low on cash and i still have to buy piping and couplers n other crap , ive decided to lay it off until i get my holset turbo rebuilt . so i can take my time designing the best routes to go about with the piping . i have given it alot of thought tho if you cant tell.

just remember that less turns the piping does the less pressure drop you will see , piping diameter is also important,im going with 2.5 because both the holset and ic have 2.5 inch diameter outlets, it will be overkill but ill be happy.
                            Sounds similar to what I'm starting to cook up. Are you planning on removing the plastic splash guard that sits right in front/below of the radiator? I'm thinking it will just be in the way and complicate things even more. As far as piping, I planned to do 2.5" as well. Anyone see anything wrong with purchasing some of these?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/z32/index.html

scroll down a bit until you see the piping
                            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

[quote]BLOZ UP wrote: [quote=FlawleZ]
                              Originally posted by BLOZ UP:73b88
                              Projects are fun.

BTW, is your name Nick?
                              Yes, my name is Nick.[/quote:73b88]

I met you one night over a year ago at San Antonio Raceway when you brought your AE out for a few runs. I was there with my brother. I think you went 14.x and then you made a 13.2 pass but something happened that kept you from running anymore. I can't remember what it was though...you sure couldn't get traction though
                              545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Working...
                              X