Valve seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve seals

I need new seals. Anybody know anything about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 19571&rd=1

About the same price as OEM.

Prolly fine. But for similar cost as oem, I'd get the oem. You can easily get 100k+ out of a set of valve seals so it is worth doing right.
    http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Comment

I dont mean to ask a noob question.

But do you guys think you could replace valve seals in a weekend?

Comment

chronic wrote: I dont mean to ask a noob question.

But do you guys think you could replace valve seals in a weekend?
          yes with the right tools....

i have even heard of being able to do it with out taking the heads off , with the right tools of course... probably not the best idea tho....

Comment

Well, I worked in an auto machine shop for a while. So I'm familiar with heads. Although they were big block v8's, not that it's like comparing blue to green or anything.
            I know I would at the very least need a valve spring compressor. However, Doing it with out removing the heads sounds......very intriguing.

I'll have to do some sleuthing around google I see.

Comment

They make fittings you put in the sparkplug hole that connect to compressed air. The air pressue holds the valves shut. You have to have a stud mounted spring compressor though. Pretty easy to do, it just takes time.
              http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Steve88t wrote: They make fittings you put in the sparkplug hole that connect to compressed air. The air pressue holds the valves shut. You have to have a stud mounted spring compressor though. Pretty easy to do, it just takes time.
                yup a simple cylinder leak detector can be used to pressurize the combustion chamber , but you gotta watch the pressure and be quick , because i can see that pressure slowly escaping thru the piston rings....

Comment

[quote]2+2turbo wrote:
                  Originally posted by Steve88t
                  They make fittings you put in the sparkplug hole that connect to compressed air. The air pressue holds the valves shut. You have to have a stud mounted spring compressor though. Pretty easy to do, it just takes time.
                  yup a simple cylinder leak detector can be used to pressurize the combustion chamber , but you gotta watch the pressure and be quick , because i can see that pressure slowly escaping thru the piston rings....
                  What does it matter if you are quick or not? Pressure is always blowing by the rings. What would compressed air hurt anything?
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

[quote]SATAN wrote: [quote=2+2turbo]
                    What does it matter if you are quick or not? Pressure is always blowing by the rings. What would compressed air hurt anything?
                    he's worried that if you're not fast enough the pressure will drop and the valves will fall into the cylinder and then you're up shit creek

Comment

[quote]Andrevas wrote: [quote=SATAN][quote=2+2turbo]
                      What does it matter if you are quick or not? Pressure is always blowing by the rings. What would compressed air hurt anything?he's worried that if you're not fast enough the pressure will drop and the valves will fall into the cylinder and then you're up shit creek
                      Ahhhh, Ok. Guess you better be using a big compressor then, OR better yet, HOPE you dont have a lot of leakdown LOL
                      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Comment

Thats awesome! Shit maybe that is what I will do. Thanks for the ideas!

Comment

You could also cram the cylinder full of nylon rope via spark plug hole, and then bring that piston up
                            imagination is a virtue

Comment

I hate to go against advice of people I trust and respect but I went ahead and bought those seals after researching Viton. If it comes back to bite me I'll post the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X