No announcement yet.

turbo arrived today.. possible issue..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• turbo arrived today.. possible issue..

Story so far..

Majestic rebuilt the t3 for me, took them two months to do the work.
    Turbo failed in around 20 miles.
    They tell me that the bearings are scored up, and it looks like 'oil contamination'.

Well, I received it today.
    Upon inspection, it looks like they completely cleaned the housings and everything else. Sandblasting.

There is a nice amount of sand left-over in and out of the exhaust housing, and i can see it in the threads to the oil feed.

I'm going to have a nice little chat with the owner tomorrow.

Any suggestions on the best way to flush all the crap out of this guy before I install it?
    vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

there's two problems with your scenario...

- the sand got into parts that were oily, so assume some of it is sticky
    - sand by it's very nature is hard to get out of tiny spaces with features, it gets stuck in corners easily

if you blow it with compressed air you could lodge some sand in the bearings which is bad

if you wash it with alcohol same thing could happen

talk to majestic first

Comment

Thats unacceptable, tell them exactly what G-E posted
      2005 whore magnet

Comment

Actually, I was planning on asking them if they want to do it over again before or after I installed it.

Comment

Sand in the oil inlet.... WHAT? :shock:

:roll:

I'm going to have to say that's a bad thing, and some very bad PR.

Most of the parts are supposed to be bead blasted or soaked in a solvent bath... as far as I knew...

Comment

yeah.. it's so fine, I have to say that it's sand. the parts that I've wiped with my finger come back very gritty.

It's also in the waterline threads.. but those, I'm not so concerned about.

rut-roh.. I just wiped my finger inside the oil return, and it came back oily and gritty.

gah, wtf? are they just out to make my life hard?

Comment

well lets say that blasting a housing is one thing, you can blow that out easily.... but blasting or just crap in the center section ????

when casting parts the first thing you do is use an abrasive bath to dislodge casting sand and such things, then you go to machining and final liquid only cleaning and air drying before assembly....

there should never be a case where blasting is done post assembly unless there is zero chance of contaminents entering orifices

Comment

I agree. I don't know wtf is going on with this thing...

at the best that I can figure, maybe having a sandy exhaust housing, then throwing it in a bag and having fifty UPS guys shaking it all about would disperse the sand pretty well.

Comment

wow, that give them a bad name with me.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

How they handle it will be the deciding factor for me.

I've already got a bad taste though.. 20 miles, and they charge me 200$ for a rebuild that should have been under warranty? Not to mention the 30$ in oil... 11.5$ a mile, not including gas.. lol

Anybody that stands behind their product gets an A in my book. They've already flunked that one once.

also, whenever you need something done on your car, find the oldest guy you can. It'll be done right the first time ;D

Comment

^I hear you there. There is just no reason you should have that grit in a rebuilt anything.

Personally I would definitely not install it until you come to some sort of resolution with the owner. Have an agreement on a resolution to the issue. That is just FUBAR. They should have stood behind their work the first time.
                      Just stand back and throw money.
                      Performance costs money.
                      Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Ok, spoke with 'John' as the owner wasn't in.

He said that this was 'unacceptable' and if I ship it back to him, he'll get it back out to me, same day.

They do use a bead blasting compound.

Above all else, be practically begged me to not install it.

Comment

good to hear, I assume they will cover shipping?

Comment

grahfz wrote: Above all else, be practically begged me to not install it.
                            You should ask him about refunding the cost of the last rebuild, as my guess is it was probably the same thing that caused it to fail.

You did everything by the book, why should you have to pay for it?

Comment

I didn't get very far in that battle, but they are renewing the warranty.. for whatever that's worth when they won't honor it.. At this point, I really don't care about the money. I just want my car out of the garage and smoking off the skinnies. I've been dealing with them since what, january/Feb?
                              and my car's been in the air since then. not for a lack of money, or a lack of effort, but for a lack of a proper turbo. I can get it in over an afternoon, no problem.. I think the last pull took me 45 minutes.

I've got a 100$ bet with my roomie that I'll have a 12-sec timeslip by the time the track closes this year.

the cobra-head and all of my inlet piping stuff will be here tomorrow.. ordered a new throttle cable too.. old one was stretched and not opening all the way at max adjustment.

BTW, GE, one of the chips came back in the mail today. I just reshipped it via UPS. 1ZR088A76821831733

Comment

Working...
                              X