No announcement yet.

the turbo is dead; long live the turbo!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the turbo is dead; long live the turbo!

Ok, so, I bought an LC-1 wideband to make my MS tuning efforts simpler, and friday night I was under the car pulling the downpipe to weld a bung into it.

My car has been leaking water just recently, and when I got under it to pull the dp, I found out why.

The turbo is BENT! The backplate bolted to the turbine housing is bent, and water's leaking from there. It's rusted the crap out of the u-joint in my steering shaft, hooray.

ANYWAY, I ordered a new turbo today, from MJM Turbo in Alabama. I imagine that I'll probably catch crap for it, but what the heck.

It's a stock T3 housing bored out for stage 3 wheel, comes with matching O2 housing, and T04E-60 .60 A/R compressor. $495 with no core. I guess we'll see how it does, but I feel like buying from a company with a street address and a phone number is somewhat safer than buying off ebay.

So now I gotta come up with a set of oil lines. You guys have any suggestions on where to get them?
    88ss, MegaSquirted.
    t3/t4 60-1 cold, stage 3 hot, FMIC
    450cc DSM injectors, walbro 255
    http://www.z-toys.com/ Boost gauge and MS info

OEM oil lines have always worked for me, but I would buy the TSS stainless steel oil line if they had been available at the time.

I'm sure you will be happy with that turbo, it's a pretty good match for a street-driven 3.0 with up to as much as ~400whp

Comment

what's the advantage of the TSS lines over stock?
      88ss, MegaSquirted.

Comment

stainless steel line..
        advantage? none.. other than bling factor, I'm sure... may be a bit easier to install.
        vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
        2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

easier to install, looks cool, yeah... and you don't have to bend it all funny to fit a different type of aftermarket turbo center section. Considering the stock line and hardware is about $60 from the dealer, his SS line is a pretty fair deal.

Comment

just talked to the guy that's actually building it, and turns out it would have been a 57 trim compressor wheel, but I'm getting a 60-1 instead for $35 extra.

Also, it's a watercooled center section, and comes with a 14 psi WGA.
            88ss, MegaSquirted.

Comment

4" inlet is a bit hard to plumb, but I can vouch for the fact that that compressor moves buttloads of air at lower boosts.

14PSI actuator... does that mean you'll have a base setting of 14PSI? Yikes. I like to turn mine down to 10PSI so it "only" makes ~350rwhp to play with the honda guys :-)

You don't have to run the water lines, there's really no need for them if you run good oil... you can just leave that section open.

Comment

I'll play around with it at 14psi base, and if it's too much, I'll see about swapping on a 6psi actuator like grahfZ is running. This is no longer a daily driver, so I may be able to get away with leaving it at 14.
                88ss, MegaSquirted.

Comment

you can get a 60-1 w/ a 3" inlet.. and a 2.75 if you REALLY want it..
                  Attached Files
                  vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                  2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

grahfz wrote: you can get a 60-1 w/ a 3" inlet.. and a 2.75 if you REALLY want it..
                    Using a modified T04B compressor housing with a 60-1 compressor wheel, yeah... but it's quite a bit more expensive to get a compressor that flows 90% of what the 60-1 does in its native .70 AR housing. Turbonetics used to sell this combo as the "hi-fi" but I don't think they sell it anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X