No announcement yet.

Anyone who has had a block prepped...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

man you guys are getting hosed on machine work.the shop i use dosent charge for cleaning the block if you have machine work done there.owner says it has to be done before it goes on his machines anyway.i had a 302 bored .030 over cam bearings and freze plugs installed for 125 bux.also had heads done there cleaned spring pressures checkes 3 new guides installed and valves lapped for 100.friend of mine is building a 289 for his mud toy and the place he is getting to ballance the bottom end is only charging him 200 for that.
    live fast,drive hard,and enjoy the ride!

Comment

balancing 220, (including everything that spins, clutch harm balanc.) this is all within +/- 1gram
      bore and hone 12 a hole,
      hot tank 30
      check line bore 30

and if I couldnt get these prices where I did the guy pretty much next door could do it, or the guy next to him, so on and so on
      85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
      04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

roastin300 wrote: thats really cheap steve. it would be alot more here. Assembling my bottom end runs around $300 without parts he said. hot tanking it is $50, boring is $40 a hole and i think $8-12 to hone it each. balancing is around $200.
        40 a hole!!!!!! holy crap man come down to denver that is WAY TOO MUCH!!!

That and you should build your own bottom end and save 300. put that 300 toward a nice tourqe wrench.
        85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
        04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

This is the price i got .

Hot tanked $50
          Bored & honed $120
          Deck Block $80
          Internally Balance to +/- 1gm $150
          Polish Clank $35

Total $435 :wink:
          1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
          http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Comment

Re: The prices I paid this past January

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
            Originally posted by Alex86na2t
            Block
            1.Hot vat
            2.Bored and honed (.089 overbore)
            3.Knivecut counterweight balancing (with all rotating assembly, from crank pulley to entire clutch)
            4.Assembled until oil pump &rear main seal (oil pan left off)
            $400

Heads

1.Hot vat
            2.Beadblasting
            3.Valvespring disassembly
            4.Backcuting valves
            5.Resurfacing both heads
            6.Valveseat grind
            $270
            Originally posted by Alex86na2t
            [/list]
            Holy crap, that's one heck of a deal on both!

.089 overbore???? that's more than 2MM! so it will be between 3.2 and 3.3L in the end. Planning to use VG33 headgaskets?
            This is what i expect it to cost me for almost identical work being done although i do all my own dissembly and reassembly and my father knows the guy so i get a good deal for any engine things i get done by him, on my other cars i have done engine work ( 4 cylinder ) std rebuild sorta stuff hone hot tank valve seat ,resurfacing, cam bearings that sorta thing cost $500 NewZealand Dollars or $319 USD this was inc new rings and bearings + top and bottom gasket sets. it seems you guys pay scary amounts for your engine work, come live in NewZealand and bring your Z31's
            85 Turbo Slick Top
            __________________________________________________ _____

Comment

canada is worse, cars are not considered well loved pets, in fact even the rebuilders only seem to care about ripping people off that are stupid enough to rebuild

but then the counter balance is the wrecker network and reman parts supply is fantastic and fairly cheap
              Attached Files

Comment

Re: The prices I paid this past January

Alex86na2t wrote:
                Holy crap, that's one heck of a deal on both!

.089 overbore???? that's more than 2MM! so it will be between 3.2 and 3.3L in the end. Planning to use VG33 headgaskets?[
                Actually it is exactly 2mm with the .005" clearance for the pistons. the exact displacement is 3098cc. Stock head gaskets for now, i may consider them in the future. i am going to redo the heads in the future, since i have learned more since then. right now i want ~400hp. But i just wanted my bottom-end prepared for later on. The oil pump destroyed itself and i rebuilt, i just decided to shove up the cash now instead of later.
                How much can the block be bored? That seems like alot.
                Chuck Stong
                300+ Parts and Performance owner
                http://www.300-plus.com
                2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

I don't know the absolute max, but the machinist said i could have gone bigger and still had no cooling or strength problems. I have over an 1/8th" of cylinder wall left. I wish that i would have searched for a vg33 block or had the block sleeved for an even bigger bore.
                  KILL HADJI

Comment

I've heard of people going as big as 3.2L in Japan, which is ~4mm over without issues.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I've heard of people going as big as 3.2L in Japan, which is ~4mm over without issues.
                      you can bet they had the tools to test the wall thicknesses before doing it

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I've heard of people going as big as 3.2L in Japan, which is ~4mm over without issues.
                        One day i will get my original block out of the garage and have it tested and maybe bored to the max. But i am using it for making manifolds on right now.
                        KILL HADJI

Comment

Working...
                        X