Clear All

• Anyone who has had a block prepped...

That is:

Tanked
    Bored & honed
    Surfaced
    Magnafluxed
    Internally balanced to +/- 1gm

I want to see if my price quotes are accurate to the norm.

Also, does anyone know if there is any kind of performance aftermarket harmonic balancer available for our engines?

I know Shromy just had an engine worked over w/ the 1mm oversize valves and .040 pistions, and came back just over 1k$..

I can ask to see if he still as a bill.
    vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
    2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

Im pretty sure that VGs dont need Harmonic balancers.. Ive Gone 60k miles on an unorthadox racing underdrive pulley with not a problem at all.. and ive been reving to 6500 on a daily basis for the last 15k miles.

12.88 @ 114 mph.. in a 91 maxima at 14 psi

Comment

yes I'm pretty sure it's not that important, our firing order is sequential not fuxed like v8's so all the load is even and alternating.... one reason it runs so smoothly

also note that nissan designates the bearings and cranks so that no journal can have more play than any other, again this means stresses are equal

if you really balance the pistons and hardware, and not just weigh them, obviously you will have little integral wobble to begin with

seriously I would just cut out the damper portion of the pulley and be done with it....

except in my case I will either bolt a pre-made 5 rib pulley on the base or have a whole new piece made... and replace the pump pulley as well (so I will only use 2 belts and can remove my idler pulley).... some day

Comment

here you go .
          http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/p ... nissan.htm
          hope it helps.
          i was thinking about getting one myself.

boost. does a body good!

Comment

I did all that for under $700. I think the balance alone was 150-175 and they did everything that rotates. IE checked the flywheel/clutch and balancer too.
            http://z31performance.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=147

Comment

Maxmaxima91 wrote: Im pretty sure that VGs dont need Harmonic balancers.. Ive Gone 60k miles on an unorthadox racing underdrive pulley with not a problem at all.. and ive been reving to 6500 on a daily basis for the last 15k miles.
              I've put a few miles on mine as well, the thing is it's a function of increased wear, especially in higher HP engines. When you're making over 500hp at the crank and revving to 7K, torsional vibrations increase almost expoenentially. I've always liked the difference the UR pullies made in response and drivability...

jjewell wrote:
              here you go .
              http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/p ... nissan.htm
              hope it helps.
              i was thinking about getting one myself.
              Thanks... wow those are a tad pricey aren't they? The 360 degree marks would be awesome, no need to use a degree wheel when degreeing cams.

Comment

To have my block; Hot tanked, Painted, Machined, and have the rotating asssembly balanced it ran me $600
                2005 whore magnet

Comment

SteveZ31 wrote: To have my block; Hot tanked, Painted, Machined, and have the rotating asssembly balanced it ran me $600
                  I've got two quotes right around $1000 each, which I thought (and it seems compared to your replies) was a little on the high side. This also includes pressing in new rod bolts, rod and main bearings and final assembly of the bottom end though. I'm thinking that's where the extra ~$400 comes from.

Tank = ~$40
                  Magnaflux = ~$70
                  Bore/hone = ~$50/hole = $300
                  Balance = ~$200

I wanted to do the last two parts myself because it's easy and I've done it before, but both shops say they can't really guarentee the work unless they assemble it. Kind of annoying but I guess that's "how they work".

They both have great reputations... right now I am leaning towards "RPM high performance engines" in Jenison, MI because I've heard all they build is the super high-revving and monster-boosted variety of motors. I stopped by to check out the shop and wakled in to see two very beastly looking sand rails. Chatted with the owner Ted and showed him what I had, but when he said it would be $1000-1400 with labor out the door I was a little taken aback. That's a big, expensive, ballpark.

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                    Originally posted by SteveZ31
                    To have my block; Hot tanked, Painted, Machined, and have the rotating asssembly balanced it ran me $600
                    I've got two quotes right around $1000 each, which I thought (and it seems compared to your replies) was a little on the high side. This also includes pressing in new rod bolts, rod and main bearings and final assembly of the bottom end though. I'm thinking that's where the extra ~$400 comes from.
                    Yea I forgot to mention that they assembled the internals of the block too and I supplied all the parts. $1000 does seem high
                    2005 whore magnet

Comment

thats really cheap steve. it would be alot more here. Assembling my bottom end runs around $300 without parts he said. hot tanking it is $50, boring is $40 a hole and i think $8-12 to hone it each. balancing is around $200.

Comment

The prices I paid this past January

Block
                        1.Hot vat
                        2.Bored and honed (.089 overbore)
                        3.Knivecut counterweight balancing (with all rotating assembly, from crank pulley to entire clutch)
                        4.Assembled until oil pump &rear main seal (oil pan left off)
                        $400

Heads

1.Hot vat
                        2.Beadblasting
                        3.Valvespring disassembly
                        4.Backcuting valves
                        5.Resurfacing both heads
                        6.Valveseat grind
                        $270
                        [/list]
                        KILL HADJI

Comment

dam, since i work at an engine building place sounds like i just saved 270 bucks....I haven't even been paid that much from there yet :shock:

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

Comment

Re: The prices I paid this past January

Alex86na2t wrote: Block
                            1.Hot vat
                            2.Bored and honed (.089 overbore)
                            3.Knivecut counterweight balancing (with all rotating assembly, from crank pulley to entire clutch)
                            4.Assembled until oil pump &rear main seal (oil pan left off)
                            $400

Heads

1.Hot vat
                            2.Beadblasting
                            3.Valvespring disassembly
                            4.Backcuting valves
                            5.Resurfacing both heads
                            6.Valveseat grind
                            $270
                            [/list]
                            Holy crap, that's one heck of a deal on both!

.089 overbore???? that's more than 2MM! so it will be between 3.2 and 3.3L in the end. Planning to use VG33 headgaskets?

Comment

Re: The prices I paid this past January

Holy crap, that's one heck of a deal on both!

.089 overbore???? that's more than 2MM! so it will be between 3.2 and 3.3L in the end. Planning to use VG33 headgaskets?[
                              Actually it is exactly 2mm with the .005" clearance for the pistons. the exact displacement is 3098cc. Stock head gaskets for now, i may consider them in the future. i am going to redo the heads in the future, since i have learned more since then. right now i want ~400hp. But i just wanted my bottom-end prepared for later on. The oil pump destroyed itself and i rebuilt, i just decided to shove up the cash now instead of later.
                              KILL HADJI

Comment

Working...
                              X