No announcement yet.

Bolt in LSX engine mounts for the Z31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is why cant use the 'muscle car' pan, sits way below the crossmember and dangerously close to the ground.
    if you're gonna be dumb you gotta be tough

Comment

• Dunkine
      Dunkine commented
      Editing a comment
      LMAO! BUT BUT oil changes would be so easy!

got my engine pulled back out last night. got the oil pan changed out to the f-body pan. one thing when putting the engine back in is that it is VERY tricky to squeeze it in between the pan and steering rack and the bellhousing and firewall. it took alot small lift,push in, lower, push in, repeat several times. But i finally got it in and set in its spot. The engine had to move back a little bit from where it was with the old pan but i still had just enough adjustability in the motor mounts with my mods on the driver side to offset of the turbo crossmember. now i can finally start getting everything else around the engine installed.
    Last edited by edizzle89; 12-07-2017, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• 260DET
      260DET commented
      Editing a comment
      So the high mount alternator clears the body? It's all looking very tidy.

• edizzle89
      edizzle89 commented
      Editing a comment
      I made a custom mount for the alternator that puts it to the side of the head, i know the truck bracket wouldn’t work. I can get some better pictures of it in a few days

Got coolant lines figured out. The lower hose is a cut down 03 Traiblazer 5.3 hose. The upper is the original hose from the radiator to my rad cap adapter, the other half is a 2000 corvette upper hose cut down. I have to trim some of the hood structure to clear the rad cap but besides that it should work. I also made a small bracket that comes from the support behind the headlight to hold the rad cap adapter down and keep it from moving. the barb fitting on the side of the adapter is for the steam lines off the heads of the LS.
    Last edited by edizzle89; 12-07-2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• Dunkine
      Dunkine commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good. Are you going to put a upper core support back in or leave it open? If open, are you going with hood pins instead of a latch?

• edizzle89
      edizzle89 commented
      Editing a comment
      I plan on leaving it out and doing hood pins

To the guy asking about my alternator mount, I ended up just using spacers and a piece of square tube to mount it to the right of the head, looks a little ghetto but seems like it should work alright.

Comment

I also found that the patriot rear dump block hugger headers (H8086) did not fit very well. on the passenger side the collector was against the frame rail, could probably be pounded in a bit but it was also a little too close to the fuel lines (which could be re-routed but just wasnt a fan of its fitment) and the driver side was going to need major work right in the collector to fit around the steering shaft. after a couple hours of looking at headers/factory manifolds online and eyeing/measuring my engine by I am 95% sure that a pair of C6 corvette LS3 exhaust manifolds are the solution. should clear no problem on the passenger side and should be reasonably easy to get around the steering shaft on the driver side.

Comment

Originally posted by edizzle89 View Post
        To the guy asking about my alternator mount, I ended up just using spacers and a piece of square tube to mount it to the right of the head, looks a little ghetto but seems like it should work alright.
        If you're not using the hole below your nut stack, you could put a block with two holes in it instead of the nuts or a spacer.

Comment

got the c6 vette manifold on, looks like they will work, snaking the pipe around the steering shaft will be a little tricky but not too bad.

on another note there is simply not enough room for the starter between the trans tunnel and trans. I have hammered it in as much as i can but i need to gain room right were the firewall/trans tunnel/floor meet at a point and i doubt any amount of hammering will make enough room. Looks like i'll have to cut a small section out and make a plate to over the opening where the starter will fit.

Comment

Is there a smaller starter you can use? I know Jegs and Summit have "Mini Starters" with adapters. Are the truck & car starters the same size?
            http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...51068/10002/-1

Comment

Originally posted by Dunkine View Post
              Is there a smaller starter you can use? I know Jegs and Summit have "Mini Starters" with adapters. Are the truck & car starters the same size?
              http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS-Performan...51068/10002/-1
              With the adapter plate you dont use a chevy starter, it uses a z32 starter which bolts to the sofe of the bellhousing rather then the side of the block

Comment

• Dunkine
                Dunkine commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahh, so already smaller than the GM.
            Working...
            X