Lower Intake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Intake Question

I went to the Junkyard this weekend to pull a couple lower intakes to P&P for a few people and everyone I found had this issue

and this is what I believe it should look like.......

is this normal? I dont see it causing any severe problems but I dont want to give anyone a faulty/damaged Manifold. After the Junkyard I went to a friends who has a VG powered FC and pulled his manifold and 5 ports looked like pic #2 and one port looked like pic #1. I dont know if this is something I just have never noticed before or if these are just bad casts or whatever.

Your input is appriecated in advance.
    2005 whore magnet

I believe it's just casting flaw, but I am not 100% sure. I had one that was that way as shown in pic #2 for all ports, and one that was a mix. When the lower is ported you can probably remove that small section with no ill effects as long as your injectors have the correct pintle cap chape and lower seal letting the pintle set less "inside the tunnel" anyway.

Comment

Jason84NA2T wrote: I believe it's just casting flaw, but I am not 100% sure. I had one that was that way as shown in pic #2 for all ports, and one that was a mix. When the lower is ported you can probably remove that small section with no ill effects as long as your injectors have the correct pintle cap chape and lower seal letting the pintle set less "inside the tunnel" anyway.
      thats what I was thinking, thanks Jason
      2005 whore magnet

Comment

yeah i was gonna post something simular to this awhile back, but im lazy. have 3 different lower intakes, and each one seems to have different type of casting flaws.
        Attached Files
        1984 300zx Ae Turbo(under repair...)
        1989 240sx rb20(daily driver)

Comment

Well for what it is worth.... I bought a spare lower plenum about a year ago in anticipation of future needs. :wink:

The spare is at L&P with my upper plenum getting some port and matching work done had no visible flaws. But I got an e-mail from them regarding the lack of thickness around the ports on the upper plenum and the potential flaws in the lower plenum. I told them to do whatever is needed and their judgement is good by me.

Moral of the story....yes, the lower and upper plenums have some casting issues but they can be overcome. I actually paid for a lower that was fubar. I cant imagine how bad the car it came off of ran due to the chipping and cracking in the seals between halves. That part made it to the garbage bin very quickly after some investigative stress testing. It wasn't good. $20 down the drain but I am glad I noticed its issues and got another. :wink:
          Attached Files
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-ZMan, LP had the same problem with my upper plennum. The bottom part was too thin after milling it out. They welded in some more material to thicken it up and provide more strength. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

MikeZ wrote: OR-ZMan, LP had the same problem with my upper plennum. The bottom part was too thin after milling it out. They welded in some more material to thicken it up and provide more strength. You won't be disappointed.
              I have complete confidence in them. I was very impressed by the detailed e-mail I received once the received the upper and lower. The lower wall thickness was one of the items that was mentioned. They sent pics of the issue and how they would resolve it. Classy and very professional in my opinion. These guys know their stuff was my impression and I told them to do what was needed and let me know if I owe them extra money for any of it. Competent machining work is worth gold in my book.
              Just stand back and throw money.
              Performance costs money.
              Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Be keeping your eyes peeled.
                *I'm about to enter this market with the help of another member.

I still am finalizing all the detials...
                No more waiting XX weeks for a gutted upper that'll perform as desired.
                $500.00 shipped with a $75.00 refundable core charge for your oem upper plenum.
                **It's listed on the website and will be finalized and avail. to ship 2nd or 3rd week in July 2006.

Dan
                I am here to help...

Comment

well you sure turned your frown upside down

Comment

Dan-TSS wrote: Be keeping your eyes peeled.
                    *I'm about to enter this market with the help of another member.

I still am finalizing all the detials...
                    No more waiting XX weeks for a gutted upper that'll perform as desired.
                    $500.00 shipped with a $75.00 refundable core charge for your oem upper plenum.
                    **It's listed on the website and will be finalized and avail. to ship 2nd or 3rd week in July 2006.

Dan
                    Dan,
                    Do you have pictures of the plenums you are making. I'm on the market for one. :lol:
                    1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Comment

Working...
                    X