She runs! Still a few problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She runs! Still a few problems...

Alright so she cranked right up on the first try this evening. Seemed to idle perfectly at 1K rpms. I've got a couple small problems. First one is, how much vacuum should I be pulling? I was originally pulling about 18 or so but after a couple starts it went down to 15 and stooped as low as 12 at one point. Also, my idle was normal at first, but after the motor warmed up, it rose to about 2K rpms. I took a quick trip down the block and that seemed to drop the idle below 1K, but what would cause this?

For those of you who don't know, I've got a 9.0:1 motor that I purchased used so I don't have anything to base it off of since it has the T3/T4 on it. Also, I'm SURE glad that I got my Polyurethane Engine Isolators in today. My driver's side mount was already torn and the first time I gassed it the engine torqued about 6 inches up on the drive's side!

If anyone can think of anything else I need to consider or check on that might act a bit different, feel free to chime in.
    Originally posted by Andrew84zx
    tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
    545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

currently I'm not using an o2 sensor so mine runs rich, but even idling around 1k it pulls ~20hg

Comment

G-E wrote: currently I'm not using an o2 sensor so mine runs rich, but even idling around 1k it pulls ~20hg
      Are you running a 9:1 motor? Right now I'm just below 15 hg and I can't quite seem to figure out where I'd be losing pressure. I guess I need to make a leakdown tester. Is there a write up to make one? I think I've seen it before...

Also, theoretically I could spray carb cleaner on suspicous lines and hoses and if the engine idles up, that could be the culprit. But, before I do this, would any harm come from this?
      545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

i have a 9:1 motor and my vacuum sits at 20 inches.

Exercising my constitutional right to be awesome

1.5.2. Podium winning cars do NOT need to be running at the checkered flag
        good thing....

Comment

20 +/- a bit sounds about right. Its been a while since I checked. Sounds to me like you have perhaps developed a leak somewhere.

Here is a link that helped me in the past:
          http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/vacuum/

Now that I looked at the info there again when linking it yes, dropping to 15/16 at 1k idle is probably indicative of an issue.

Hope that helps. :wink:
          Just stand back and throw money.
          Performance costs money.
          Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

Does it make any sense that I actually pull more vacuum when my FPR Solenoid isn't hooked up? My idle seems to drop and I pull less vacuum when I have my FPR solenoid running both vacuum lines. Also, is it a legitimate way of testing the FPR by removing the vacuum line and looking for any fuel coming out? No signs of when I checked, but I'm still trying to figure out what the deal is.
            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

That does sound odd. I assume you have a good line seal on the FPR? and you plugged the line when it was removed? If it was leaking vacuum that means that it should be leaking gas if you have a good seal on the line if I am thinking correctly.
              Just stand back and throw money.
              Performance costs money.
              Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: That does sound odd. I assume you have a good line seal on the FPR? and you plugged the line when it was removed? If it was leaking vacuum that means that it should be leaking gas if you have a good seal on the line if I am thinking correctly.
                The seal seemed fine to me. No leak from what I could tell and I definitely wasn't leaking any fuel. Is there any way of testing the FPR Solenoid?
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Just connect the line from the FPR direct to the plenum; you could have a leak in one of those hoses but even so I don't see that changing the vac number that much.

Comment

Working...
                  X