Exhaust porting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust porting...

Hey I was wonder if the metal making it a "2 Port" flange is neccessary? I figure while i am gasket matching, i might try and take out a bunch of it. But not if it makes it weaker.

Terrible idea putting those wheels on...

first is you shouldn't be gasket matching, you should be turbo matching

second, on the turbo the split is for quicker spool up, and on the manifold it is to keep the exhaust from the banks/heads seperated, so at best knife edge the turbo splitter, and just smooth the manifold splitter

Comment

I just said gasket matching...i don'tknow what i meant by it :lol:

I basically went to were the roughness stopped.

So getting thin will not hur it..all right, thanks.

Comment

Yeah, match it to the turbine housing being used... That is the smallest part of the manifold for the volume of air being puched through it. Without getting hyper technical, it "accelerates" the airstream towards the turbine, but I would guess it's a source of substantial restriction on modified engines with bigger turbines/housings.

Comment

not bad, now how are you going to grind out all the chunkies from inside of the rest of the exhaust

Comment

As far as i can reach, it is just a dreme..

Comment

I don't mean to be a jerk but... If you don't work up into the manifold more and on the inside radius of each bend it's not going to aid flow very much.

If you're ever going to use a split-entry trubine housing you will need to knifeedge the turbine housing entry even sharper than that and make sure it's aligned prefectly... Kind of hard to do if you've got it so small on the manifold side.

Comment

that's exactly what I suggested first heh, but we can only point and laugh now, it is done

Comment

I read in this months GRM magazine that it is more important to make sure the parts at the turbo flange are nice and smooth, not neccessarily were the logs contact the block.

It couldn't hurt to open up as much as i can get to.

Or could it :?:

Comment

for getting deep into the manifold this is the easiest way to port it.

get some sand, put it in your mouth, grap a straw and aim very carfully where material needs to be removed(aim is important, beacuse of the extreeme pressure that a human mouth can create can destroy cast iron in a fraction of a second).

wash it out and you are good to go.

Ok, no, not really
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

thanks, but no thanks 3rd post satan man. :lol:
                      I have Exhaust elbows and never really realised that they were different. The turbo i am using supposedly came off of a turbo japanese spec maxima. I didn't know they existed.
                      [img]a href=[/img]
                      [img]a href=[/img]
                      [img]a href=[/img]

The one on the left is a off of the z. the z one looks better.

[/img]

Comment

This is what mine looks like.

It's a little different, but you'll get the idea. Chances are you'll never be running a divided entry turbine housing anyway.
                        It's RWD in reverse.

Comment

It might be a bad idea to run a divided entry turbo unless you go external wastegate..

but what do I know on the subject?
                          vg33et -blew some chunks outta it, then gave it all away.
                          2009 370z touring/nav/sports

Comment

yeea like arnie once said

who da ell are you?

Comment

Working...
                            X