Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solved my boost problem!!! OH MY GOD THAT'S POWER!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please don't laugh -- it was embarrasingly small.. but it was cheap -- $50 including piping from a wreckers. It's intercooler from a ford probe. I had forgotten how small the piping was on it when i started back working on the car and just continued. It was definitely too small, it might work on the t28 as the inside diameter is about the same and it would keep your spool time really quick if you used 1 3/4" piping. Though.. i'm not even sure i'd be confident in the abilities of the intercooler in that situation.
    8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
    eagle rods
    t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
    38 mm external wastegate
    mild port/polish
    3 angle valve job
    custom intercooler piping
    twin external intakes with z32 maf
    rad moved back
    3" exhaust with only a resonator
    romulator
    420cc injectors
    custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
    walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

Comment

Must of just been bottlenecking hard, oh well live and learn!
      http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

A fuel pressure gage is nice to have.

7psi without any intercooler will make more power
        than 7psi through a restrictive intercooler

If the limits of the stock cluch is the quikest you have gone,
        then your in for a ride.

Try running .5 bar w/out an intercooler
        cooler and get some good logs.
        And hopefully the cluch wont slip.
        imagination is a virtue

Comment

That's the plan for tomorrow.. just gonna try and solve the fuel suction/filter problem (pretty sure it's the suction line as it is somewhat soft) Then I'll start tuning again. I originally mounted the walbro inline under the passenger wheel well, but i had to make some interesting fuel line loops to do it. Thinking i might change the location so that it's closer to the steel suction tube going into the tank... wee i get to empty the fuel tank tomorrow -- again. Oh well... this is a steep learning curve but by the end of it.. i'll know more than i do now and the next car i build -- i.e. my 85 supra, or my buddys 92 eagle talon-- will be easier and faster to tune.
          eagle rods
          38 mm external wastegate
          mild port/polish
          3 angle valve job
          rad moved back
          romulator
          420cc injectors

Comment

I have cut a fuel pump access into the floor board.
            I can change my fuel pump in less than 5 minuites.
            imagination is a virtue

Comment

lol! that's what i was thinking of doing actually... and make the hole large enough that i can access the external fuel pump too.... but i'll need to make a panel to cover it again or something...
              eagle rods
              38 mm external wastegate
              mild port/polish
              3 angle valve job
              rad moved back
              romulator
              420cc injectors

Comment

and like *I* mentioned before, use another fuel sender cover

Comment

craZed wrote: I have cut a fuel pump access into the floor board.
                  I can change my fuel pump in less than 5 minuites.
                  +1^ on that. screw that dropping the tank shit
                  85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                  04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

Post picture of your current set up. I will like to see that big intercooler in the Z :shock:
                    1988 SS TURBO BEING RESTORE.
                    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2238220

Comment

Well i solved the fuel problem -- the suction line i have in the tank is slightly higher than the stock in-tank fuel pump was and won't work properly under 1/4 tank... so --- i'll have to fix that. Other than that I noticed an increase in engine temp with the larger intercooler so i built a scoop for the rad under the intercooler.. here's some pics of the progress.

Photo Sharing - PicTiger

The first picture is before welding in the scoop, and the second and third pictures i hadn't leveled out the scoop yet, but i since have and it's now straight and centered.
                      eagle rods
                      38 mm external wastegate
                      mild port/polish
                      3 angle valve job
                      rad moved back
                      romulator
                      420cc injectors

Comment

t70 wrote: It's a t70 that i baught from a guy who was going to use it on his civic... so the exhaust a/r is small (0.63 as i recall) but I have had the boost at 9 psi and never slipped the clutch even in fifth... so I'm fairly certain that i should be able to push quite a bit more than that. Now, correct me if i'm wrong but if i run 15 psi then i should theoretically double my engine horsepower from what it would be in N/A trim. I.e. -- if the engine has 160 hp to start then i would have 320 hp at 15 psi assuming that the exhaust side of the turbo has good flow. Now, because this is a t70 and not a t3 then maybe an increase of say... 40 hp on that at 15 psi? Those 420cc injectors should easily handle 400 hp and so i should be able to run about 17-18 psi before i start running out of fuel... So.. at the end of this my real question is -- is this out to lunch? Should i be at a lower final boost pressure? Any help is more than appreciated -- i really don't want to re-ring my engine or replace pistons and rods.

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me throughout this build!
                        That would only be true if you had the same efficiency. For example, the same exhaust efficiency, compression ratio, intake efficiency, and also the cold side of your intercooler piping must be the same as ambient temp. Meaning that your intercooler must have 100% flow with over 100% efficiency.
                        KILL HADJI

Comment

that is true... but don't forget the advantage a turbo'd engine has with respect to cylinder scavenging and fuel atomization because of the more turbelent air.
                          eagle rods
                          38 mm external wastegate
                          mild port/polish
                          3 angle valve job
                          rad moved back
                          romulator
                          420cc injectors

Comment

Ive got to say when it comes to finding creative resolutions to problems I have to give you an A.

Be careful with that scoop hitting parking curbs and such but I like the idea.

btw- I thought you finished the intake/hood already. Perhaps I was just remembering a picture in my mind or something...hard telling. :roll: I look forward to seeing the finished product since the vision I have in my head seems to be completely my own. :shock: hehehe
                            Just stand back and throw money.
                            Performance costs money.
                            Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

OR-Zman wrote: Ive got to say when it comes to finding creative resolutions to problems I have to give you an A.

Be careful with that scoop hitting parking curbs and such but I like the idea.

btw- I thought you finished the intake/hood already. Perhaps I was just remembering a picture in my mind or something...hard telling. :roll: I look forward to seeing the finished product since the vision I have in my head seems to be completely my own. :shock: hehehe
                              Thanks for the compliment... and the warning about curbs. As for the hood with it's twin intakes... only one functions right now -- the other is going to be a vent to the engine bay for now (that may change next year if we decide to go to ludicrous horsepower for the drag strip). The end result -- i never properly finished the body work up top there.. it's just primered for now so that i could work on other things that were a little more pressing. At some point in the future I'll be completely finishing them and getting it properly painted.
                              eagle rods
                              38 mm external wastegate
                              mild port/polish
                              3 angle valve job
                              rad moved back
                              romulator
                              420cc injectors

Comment

Based on the picture, and my measurements on a car here....that intercooler core you have now must be in the ballpark of atleast 23"L x 12"H x 3"D.
                                I'd say the size is more than sufficient for what you are using.
                                :shock:
                                I am here to help...

Comment

Working...
                                X