No announcement yet.

EGR Discussion - split topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well if it's purely for emissions as I originally suggested, then wouldnt that in turn mean that there are no performance benefits by having one?
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

I think you mean no 'performance benefits' by removing it.
      It may not be a Z, but it's still got a turbo...

Comment

No I don't... G-E was saying that the car will run better with it than without it but JDM motors dont have it period.

Comment

I have never once noticed a single tiny difference from removing EGR on a Z31, and I've taken it off at least a few of them.

Comment

Domdogg123 kindly screwed up my point by confusing things...

I'm not saying taking it off increases performance, I trying to state that it doesnt DECREASE performance by removing it. Also one would assume that with you saying that you never noticed a single tiny difference in removing it, then it cant aid performance by having it installed can it? Make sense? lol

For a daily driver I would imagine that removing it would just kill your fuel economy but that's all and considering the Japanese market VG didn't even have an EGR system period then it simply cant be essential to have for performance benefits.

So to sum up, I'm not saying removing it increases performance but there aren't any ill effects in doing so either besides emissions and milage. Agreed?

Comment

I'm saying again that I never noticed the tiniest bit of difference either way. I don't think it hurts or enhances actual performance with or without it. I never saw an AFR difference from removing it. I only removed it because it's one more annoying little cluttered trinket in the engine bay that I don't need to care about.

My car got 29.4mpg on the way to Branson for BZF this year. That's with nothing on the plenum but a TB, 550cc injectors, cams and a 7.8:1 compression engine. If I threw EGR on it I highly doubt it would change a notable amount

Comment

That's interesting you didn't even notice a mixture change, all the better! I share the same opinion as you regarding unneeded junk, I want the least amount of bs in the engine bay as possible!

So you've removed the air regulator and FICD and had them blocked up with a plate aswell? That's about all I have left! lol

Comment

^Ive had my EGR blocked for years (old engine and new) I noticed no difference in mileage or performance either. The old engine I got 27-29 on the open hwy and the new engine tends to get about 23-26 on the open hyw....(that is of course when I don't feel like driving like Mario. hehehe)

EGR... just more emissions junk to clutter up the e-bay if you don't have to worry about testing.
                  Just stand back and throw money.
                  Performance costs money.
                  Reliable performance costs more.

Comment

300zxt wrote: So you've removed the air regulator and FICD and had them blocked up with a plate aswell? That's about all I have left! lol
                    Yes, I have not had any of that crap on there for a long time. Idle speed is a simple adjustment of the throttle cable, mine sits about 800-900rpm. There are no cold start issues, even in the 17 degree F butt-freeze of January the car started within two seconds of cranking. The car always starts and idles fine, and drives as well or better than it ever has. It's all in the tuning.

Comment

Very interesting! I might pull my FICD but I think I will leave the regulator until I get some form of ECU tuning gear so as to not have rough starts.

Do you have any photos of your plenum blocked up? Just interested to see how you did it for the FICD as you may know I'm changing out my stock plenum for a gutted one and it would be 10x easier to do it with the plenum off! Did you just use the gasket as a template and cut it out then bolt it in?

Comment

300zxt wrote: So explain why some VG JDM motors dont have it at all then? I think it was 88hybrid who got a crate motor shipped to him from Japan, and the EGR system was not present nor had it been period.
                        they always used higher octane fuel with much lower sulphur over there, so in very light throttle the engine won't stumble or run excessively hot even with the same tuning as ours would....

remember though that not all of this stuff nissan added was "necessary" much of it was just added safety, why would you make a plenum so complicated, why make the engine so strong, etc.... they wanted to make the cars bulletproof, and much of that is the redundant/excessive devices and functions

Comment

Yeah our Z's here are unofficial imports that were all assembled in Japan, so the same characteristics for their engines would apply to ours here in Oz. My 86 Turbo didn't even have a cat from the factory, it's missing the code on the build plate, it was put on at the dealership once in the country! Great loophole because I pulled mine off and legally I'm not required to have one because the code isn't on the build plate! Score!

Comment

The egr is there to reduce NOx emmisions. it is designed to introduce exaust gasses into the combustion chamber to cool to combustion temps.

it does not operate at wide open throttle, nor do any dynamic emmision control devices
                            used to have one of the first high horsepower NA to turbo cam'd 7000rpm pavement pounding z31's....now in process of building an LQ9 LS1 6.0L Z31 with all the goodies

Comment

G-E wrote: that's why there's a solenoid attached, so the logic in the computer can close the solenoid and therefore the egr at wot or other conditions that it might open, this allows peak performance while still allowing the mechanism to be simple and vacuum operated

Comment

It helps with gas mileage more than anything, I believe.

It's really up to the individual: My friend megasquirted his miata, but the only thing keeping him from removing the stock computer and harness altogether is the EGR, which he insists on having for the reasons stated earlier.

I just rip the shit off and never look back.
                                BLOZ UP.com
                                It is not recommended to confirm proper installation by driving into walls or other barriers as this could cause personal injury or damage to the vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                                X