EGR Discussion - split topic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR Discussion - split topic

of all the non-essential crap in the engine bay, the only one I would leave intact is egr....

I give credit to you t70 for taking on something so huge and actually seeing it through! I'm also interested to see how it comes out in the end...

of all the non-essential crap in the engine bay, the only one I would leave intact is egr....
    Why not remove EGR aswell? I'm just curious to see your reasoning for not removing it as I've read quite a few arguments for and against it with no real definate outcome. I removed mine cuz it wasn't working, hadn't planned on putting it back on though... What else do you also consider "non essential" just out of curiosity?
    http://youtube.com/c/zcartube

Comment

reasoning? you don't have to reason, egr does only good things and nothing bad...

something like the aiv on the other hand only works once when you start the car and stops shortly after, and it's big and complicated = useless

cold idle you could say is a nice thing to have but depending on your climate it might not matter, and your foot can do what it does if necessary = useless

fast idle/idle up is for things like a/c kicking in, and if you set the base idle a touch higher and go with e-fans you can get rid of it anyway = useless

a bunch of coolant and vacuum stuff can be removed safely as well, in some cases you can bypass solenoids or run hose loops... = optional

once you've simplified the engine bay, it's all easier to work on and if something goes wrong, easier to diagnose

Comment

I always thought that the exhaust gases being recirculated back into the intake is a bad thing and is only done to lower emissions and nothing else.

Ive already done away with the AIV, I've also pulled the charcol canister and every vacuum line from the metal pack is gone and it's origin plugged etc. I like my cold idle via the air regulator so I'm leaving that, I dont like my engine to struggle on cold mornings as it does get icey sometimes where I live in the winter. Ive also taken off the fpr control solenoid and bypassed that back into the plenum.

I currently have e-fans on order so I will be installing them very soon actually! So with the FICD did you just remove it and then block up the plenum with a plate or what?

Comment

The egr, in my case, was rather hard to plumb back in because of the totally new piping coming from the turbo. Then came the stage of development where i needed the wideband hooked up and the egr tube hole was the perfect size for the o2 sensor bung.. so i welded the bung into the hole and now i don't have an egr tube.
          8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
          eagle rods
          t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
          38 mm external wastegate
          mild port/polish
          3 angle valve job
          custom intercooler piping
          twin external intakes with z32 maf
          rad moved back
          3" exhaust with only a resonator
          romulator
          420cc injectors
          custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
          walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

Comment

I just wanna know why some people say NOT to remove it. From my understanding you want clean air in your intake, not exhaust fumes?

Comment

Well, it helps with fast engine warmup?
              Attached Files

Comment

is that all?? my engine warms up plenty fast as it is... (i need a new rad though) At about 35 degrees celsius it takes no more than 2-3 minutes.
                eagle rods
                38 mm external wastegate
                mild port/polish
                3 angle valve job
                rad moved back
                romulator
                420cc injectors

Comment

Looks like nobody really knows. I know a guy who got shipped a JDM VG30ET motor, and it didn't even have any EGR bs on it at all so I seriously doubt it's for any of the reasons mentioned above. The only thing that might be an issue is that the stock ecu might over/under compensate the a/f mixture but a stand alone or any other means of ecu modification would fix that.

I've had the EGR removed for a while and haven't noticed any ill effects yet besides running a touch richer.

Comment

true that! mines definitely rich.. but i'm unsure as to why yet.. i think that a major contributing factor is the 45 degree bend in piping right before my air flow meter. But I don't know..
                    eagle rods
                    38 mm external wastegate
                    mild port/polish
                    3 angle valve job
                    rad moved back
                    romulator
                    420cc injectors

Comment

Check the timing, my timing was way too advanced to the point you could faintly smell fuel. I backed it off and bit and that cured it for me, not always the cause but worth a look.

Comment

i'll check that.. i think it's at 9 degrees btdc.
                        eagle rods
                        38 mm external wastegate
                        mild port/polish
                        3 angle valve job
                        rad moved back
                        romulator
                        420cc injectors

Comment

since no one has answered the egr question.....

egr kicks in when cruising at light throttle, the vacuum port that activates it is right at the tip of the throttle plate, so the suction there is great enough to open the egr valve only when the throttle is cracked

Comment

So explain why some VG JDM motors dont have it at all then? I think it was 88hybrid who got a crate motor shipped to him from Japan, and the EGR system was not present nor had it been period.

Comment

300zxt wrote: So explain why some VG JDM motors dont have it at all then?
                              Because it was not required to pass their emissions testing. That's also why the early ones don't have catalytic converters and hence make more "rated" HP than USDM engines.

Comment

Working...
                              X