No announcement yet.

Need a bit of help with the Walbro 255 Fuel Pump install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think what you're talking about is about 1.5" by maybe 2". it's a canister in front of the fuel tank under the car. The other thought -- is the pump wired backwards?
    8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
    eagle rods
    t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
    38 mm external wastegate
    mild port/polish
    3 angle valve job
    custom intercooler piping
    twin external intakes with z32 maf
    rad moved back
    3" exhaust with only a resonator
    romulator
    420cc injectors
    custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
    walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

Comment

t70 wrote: i think what you're talking about is about 1.5" by maybe 2". it's a canister in front of the fuel tank under the car. The other thought -- is the pump wired backwards?
      The fuel filter is on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Follow the fuel lines of your injector hard lines and you should find it. Also you can check to see if you have the polarity on the pump right by taking of the hose and see if it acts like a fountain !!!Be Careful if you try this!!! make your you have many towels around. If it doesn't and you can hear it run then you might have the polarity backwards.
      KILL HADJI

Comment

craZed wrote: Have you checked to see if the fuel filter is clogged?Fuel filter is a brand new Z32 unit.

Alex86na2t wrote:
        Also you can check to see if you have the polarity on the pump right by taking of the hose and see if it acts like a fountain !!!Be Careful if you try this!!! make your you have many towels around. If it doesn't and you can hear it run then you might have the polarity backwards.
        I color matched the wires. Black to black and red to red.
        Originally posted by Andrew84zx
        tell her your car is so fast it will make her panties fly off
        545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

take the fuel line off before the filter.. if it doesn't squirt when the pump comes on then you've either got the polarity backwards or the line is pooched. The little in-line filter under the passengers side rear fender-well is only on the return line as i recall so it can't plug your system off. When you check for flow -- i usually use a pop bottle and stick the hose in it. The next line you can check is under the passengers side fender well next to the little black filter. As i recall it's the center fuel line or the one closest to the outside of the car... trace them up front and see. The first thing i would do though is try polarity reversal at the plug-in inside the rear hatch after you check the fuel flow before the filter.
          8.5 custom arias pistons (.020 over)
          eagle rods
          t70 turbo (man was that a squeeze)
          38 mm external wastegate
          mild port/polish
          3 angle valve job
          custom intercooler piping
          twin external intakes with z32 maf
          rad moved back
          3" exhaust with only a resonator
          romulator
          420cc injectors
          custom body work, homemade oil lines and fittings..
          walbro 255lph in-line fuel pump.... and lots of headaches... lol

Comment

Yeah so apparently the pump just doesn't push the fuel enough. It comes out of the fuel hoses but isn't enough for the injectors. Anyone have a problem with purchasing a knock-off Walbro labeled as a Walbro? I'm not very happy to say the least.
            545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

FlawleZ wrote: Yeah so apparently the pump just doesn't push the fuel enough. It comes out of the fuel hoses but isn't enough for the injectors. Anyone have a problem with purchasing a knock-off Walbro labeled as a Walbro? I'm not very happy to say the least.
              sounds like it just won't build pressure? Could be a defective pressure relief valve in the pump.

As for it being a knockoff, does it say walbro on the pump? I got my no-box no-name except stamping on the pump walbro on ebay for like $90 and (obviously) it works great. Could be you got a defective one?

Comment

[quote]Jason84NA2T wrote:
                Originally posted by FlawleZ
                Yeah so apparently the pump just doesn't push the fuel enough. It comes out of the fuel hoses but isn't enough for the injectors. Anyone have a problem with purchasing a knock-off Walbro labeled as a Walbro? I'm not very happy to say the least.
                sounds like it just won't build pressure? Could be a defective pressure relief valve in the pump.

As for it being a knockoff, does it say walbro on the pump? I got my no-box no-name except stamping on the pump walbro on ebay for like $90 and (obviously) it works great. Could be you got a defective one?
                Very well may be. It does say Walbro on the pump so I figured it was legit, but Chuck informed me that doesn't really mean all that much. I may have just got a defective unit. Either way, I'm going with a different pump altogether. I thought about griping to the ebay seller, but we all know that doesn't get very far.
                545 RWHP & 540 RWTQ

Comment

Yep, I just don't trust the quality of ebay knock-offs. I will test the pump just to make sure, but since I have others laying around, a swap will tell the story.
                  Chuck Stong
                  300+ Parts and Performance owner
                  http://www.300-plus.com
                  2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

do it anyways. pull the line off of the inlet to the filter and see if you spill fuel on the ground for the 1 second that you have the key on for. If you dont and you can hear the pump turning on then trace your problem from the filter back to the pump. If you still cant figure it out, take the walbro out of the tank and dunk it in a half gallon of gas(DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT GAS!) put power to it and see if it pumps. If it does you never found your problem and you need to look harder, if it doesnt you have a bad pump.

Edit: Nevermind, Just noticed the rest of the thread about it possibly being a knock off
                    85 Z31 6.0 LSX turbo 766whp/792wtq
                    04 GTO, LS6, big cam, porting, N20... underway for summertime daily driver.

Comment

I would think jason is right, someone else posted about a defective relief valve and had to get it replaced recently too

Comment

Found a wiring problem. Seems to work ok now. Pump was getting about 8v.
                        Chuck Stong
                        300+ Parts and Performance owner
                        http://www.300-plus.com
                        2002 ZCOT president and always active member

Comment

Working...
                        X